Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 04-24-2005, 01:49 PM   #11
KLRer
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha R1 Vs. FZ1

Great article, just what Ive been wanting to see. Kindof wish you'd included an FZ1 dyno video/audio though, as I dont recall see one anywhere. But, the bottomline seemed to be that the FZ1 is more than enough motorcycle for the vast majority of riders, and you get a little extra comfort in the bargain. I know one thing, when I step up to an FZ1 or its successor, maybe about 10 years from now at the age 60, its not going to be a Slow bike.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2005, 02:18 PM   #12
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: ZRex vs. FZ1??

I just sold an '02 ZRX, great bike. Love the torque, just a wonderful motor.

The only mods I would recommend as "must", Zero Gravity windscreen +3", Bar-end mirrors (Napoleon), Frame sliders. I understand that if you throw your bike down w/o the sliders the insurance co. will write you a check before they replace engine cases.

I can promise you the ZRX will not catch a Speed Triple on your local twisty road. The suspension, weight and dual headlight make it a better (faster) ride under most people.

All this aside, my local dealer just put an undertail kit and flush mount signals on an '05 Liquid Silver FZ-1 and man is that bike cool. It has better wind protection than the ZRX and will hang in there with the S3. BTW, at 6'3" the 18.1" seat/peg measurement is a bit cramped on the ZRX.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 04:28 PM   #13
Grum
Registered Member

A loser?! Is that because I ride a Sportster (and like it) or simply because I'm really just a bit of a dag?

By the way MO staff get no prizes for first posts.

Grum, President MOFPC (MO First Post Club)
Old 04-24-2005, 06:26 PM   #14
nbyers
Registered Member

Default Speed triple....speed triple...

speed triple.....speed triple....speed triple

I hear the voice too!!
nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:28 PM   #15
nbyers
Registered Member

Default Short versus tall

Yeah, I believe the ZRX was a little cramped for you at 6'-3". The ZRX fits me great.

But damn, I envy you that inseam whenever I sit on a BMW 1200GS--a great bike I will never own because it makes me feel like a munchkin.
nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 07:00 PM   #16
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Read the comments in the insurance box

The agent looked at several different insurers. She also only does California, so that could explain the higher rate.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 07:24 PM   #17
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: Short versus tall

I had a 99 GS, they are neat bikes. I really like the 1200, but I can't help but think of the $8-9k extra as a really cool second bike. Tricked out 98 900ss/sp?

I'm sticking with my '02 Futura until the '06 VFR rears it's head. I skipped the '02-05 after owning 3 gernerations. Give me gear drive and no v-tec in a 500 lb. package.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 07:35 PM   #18
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default WOW!!

Great article MO. Love the insurance rate comparo... Love the interesting unexpected comparison. Though I have sportbike for pretending I am Matt Mladin on weekends, its great to see how the other half lives.... Thanks guys...Great pictures and video...
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:01 PM   #19
staff
Registered Member

Yesterday.

Old old MO in Marina del Rey was right next to a recycle center and we could weigh all the bikes on certified scales. We've been slumming it ever since with roll-up scale systems and it's definitely a lesser quality of life!

To make matters worse, the recycle center won't let us weigh bikes anymore...
staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:59 PM   #20
MW1000
Founding Member

The R1 is by far the best looking superbike for 04-05, IMO. I've always had UJMs so I'd buy the FZ1 personally, but I'm not trading in my naked SV1000 until the next gen FZ1 comes out, hopefully with style and tech from the latest R1. BTW the new Speed Triple is scrumptious for 05.
MW1000 is offline   Reply With Quote