Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 01-18-2001, 08:38 AM   #1
RRocket
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha WR426F Reader Feedback

I liked the WR426, but I chose the XR650R as my bike of choice. Why? Well the XR was cheaper to buy than the WR. Not sure if it's like that all over, but here it was cheaper by a few hundred bucks. My riding invloves quite a bit of open, cross-country riding, (no bush-tigh trails here), and the XR smokes the WR for top-end. Period. With a top speed over 100mph, the XR covers the open spaces quicker than anything (not sure about the new KTM 520EXC though..). And, when track days come, throw on some different rubber, and you have an instant motard weapon. Couple this with the renowned XR durability, and it was an easy choice. Don't get me wrong, the WR is fantastic, (I've ridden a few of them), but the XR was better for my budget, and type of riding......
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2001, 09:19 AM   #2
klxcommuter
Founding Member

It's not street legal off the showroom floor, but a trip to www.bajadesigns.com will get you the light kit you need to make it legal... Just make sure you've got DOT knobbies on it.
klxcommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2001, 10:07 AM   #3
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Item 1: Factory street legal dual sports are hampered by the US DOT and EPA. You'll gain 20 lbs, lose 20% power and lose suspension quality. It will cost you >$1200 to get it all back. Buy a dirt only bike and go to www.bajadesigns.com.

Item 2: Better pictures please.

Item 3: Technical info (actual weight and dyno curve) please.

Item 4: Yamaha is smart to give you guys a Left Coast setup, but it would be good to offer a low cost way of tuning the bike for everywhere else. Here in Houston (and everything within 200 miles), we have very tight trails. Desert racing is a far off dream. It ain't just New England that it tight and technical.

Item 5: Given the cost and unavailability of the KTM boomers, I want a Yamathump.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2001, 11:05 AM   #4
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Here's an ignorant question

Um...I'm going to sound stupid here, but here goes.

So I can tell that there are two genres of dirtbikes, one which the YZ426 represents and one that the WR426 represents. Having only ridden dedicated street machines before, could someone explain the differences? What is each genre designed for? Are both types used for off-road racing, or only one? What are the primary differences between the two genres and why?

I apologise again for my ignorance,

starvingstudent
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2001, 01:08 PM   #5
R1madKunt
Founding Member

bummer guys, the WR426 rolls of the showroom floor in Aust for $5885US and is street legal.

Ever thought about moving??
R1madKunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2001, 01:41 PM   #6
RRocket
Founding Member

Default Re: Here

The YZ's are for closed-course motocross racing. The have tighter gearing, and the power delivery is more abrubt and they are a touch lighter. The WR (wide ratio) has a wide ratio-gearing, larger tank, and heavier fly-weight for more controllable power. It is used for just about anything but closed course racing. Cross-country, woods riding, trail-riding or a fun off-road play bike. Hope this helps...
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2001, 05:35 PM   #7
Smoker
Founding Member

Yamaha has done a fine job with the WR426, but most any Euro enduro could have it's way with it. Right now, the Husaberg(maybe KTM) is the enduro to have but once the Cannondale enduro makes it's way into showrooms the competition will have to play some serious catchup!
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2001, 06:07 PM   #8
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Thanks to both of you, that actually cleared up a lot. Taking what you say, I can now see the differences in the bikes better.

Who knows...one day I might even get my poor bum around to buying one!

starvingstudent
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2001, 08:25 AM   #9
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Take a GSXR-750. Rip off all street stuff. Remove the sidestand and lights. Put on a hideously loud race only exhaust. Revalve the suspension for smooth racetracks. Take off the flywheel weight and lighting coil so the engine spins super fast but stalls easily.

The stock Gixx is like the WR, the modified one is like the YZ.

Anyway, if you are mechanically inclined, buy a used dirt bike. My olf KTM cost about $1300 three years ago and should fetch $1000+ this spring when I sell it to buy a new one. I bought it to see if I like dirt riding. Mission Accomplished - I love it.
Old 01-19-2001, 08:31 AM   #10
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

The problem is simple: Cannondale tried to do a helluva a lot of fabulous new engineering. This is always difficult and super tough for an outfit who has no experience in building motos.

Look at the YZ400. What was new for Yamaha? Frame? No, that's almost exactly a YZ250 item. Ditto suspension and all the other bits. Gearbox? Not really, they've made many others. Five valve head? Not at all. High revving four stroke? R!, anybody? They just put together all their existant corporate knowledge in a slightly different configuration. It is a great machine and a landmark, but they also had most of the pieces in place.

About the WR, the only thing that worries me is its constant issue with nimbleness. I live in Houston, so I have tight woods to deal with. Any other tight woods riders out there have comments about it compared to an XR or KTM300?