Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 01-04-2005, 10:20 AM   #81
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: YAMAHA RELEASES ADDITIONAL FJR 1300s

you know, people have been putting their names on lists and putting down deposits on all sorts of upscale, low-volume vehicles for as long as i can remember. I really don't see what the big deal is. Fewer unsold units is good for the manuf., the dealer, and for most customers. $12k for a bike that all the mags and websites routinely pick as way superior to things like BMW K1200 whatever that sell for 50% more?

If Honda did it, it would suck, cause then you would be waiting for a heavier, slower, not as comfortable motorcycle that was recalled i think 2x in its first year. that costs more.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2005, 10:27 AM   #82
sarnali
Founding Member

Just a guess, but the Japanese, for whatever reason are convinced all American riders want either a retro look V twin cruiser, or the latest cutting edge sportbike.

Their stated reason was that they weren't sure there was a demand for a bike of this type and they didn't want a repeat of the bad old '80's with unsold product and under list sales ( brought on by their cut throat war with Honda for market share and Reagans import tariff )
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 10:27 AM   #83
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Re: Second Choice

I was thinking Huyabusa, but your's was funnier.

Personally, if I had my druthers, I'd rather tour on a tour-buss, preferably the Greatful Dead,s (if they were still alive).
Old 01-04-2005, 10:38 AM   #84
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Re: Let's give credit...

Yeah, like he said!

Us MOrons gotta right...???...too!

And, soon as if I figure what side it's on, I'm gonna use...it...mine...the damn thing!
Old 01-04-2005, 10:43 AM   #85
SuperBill
Founding Member

Did anybody point out that the FJR 1300 is an "off-the-shelf" bike in Europe? Not that long ago we were reading reviews of the European version of this bike replete with editorial whining that they donÂ’t sell it over here. (You can see an example of this kind of "why canÂ’t we get it here" whining at the "Unofficial U.S. Varadero Homepage" http://www.geocities.com/honda_varadero/Varapage.htm )

So Yamaha listens to the whiners in the Unites States and makes arrangements to sell them the bike they want without a huge factory or dealer commitment. The whiners get their bike, Yamaha and their dealers make a fair buck on a good bike, and nobody loses. Nobody, that is, except for the other whiners that wouldnÂ’t buy the bike anyway.

Give the people what they want. What a concept!

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 10:59 AM   #86
team222
Founding Member

So how about naming a few other bikes on a 6 month wait list.

team222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 10:59 AM   #87
jungkvist
Founding Member

Harsh!

Hell, if I'd never got drunk, I wouldn't have had any embarrassing stories to tell my kids, so they wouldnÂ’t drink (like they listened, anyway).

But, what I really what to know; what's a Nabob?

And, if I am one, do I have to worry about the CDC?

Old 01-04-2005, 11:03 AM   #88
maladg
Registered Member

Living in GA, I was not exactly plugged into Yammies snowmobile ordering system. Thx for the info.

I still think it is a wildly unfriendly sales policy, but point taken.

Hey, JB...one of my other hobbies (obsessions) is hi-fi. My fav writer is Mike Fremer (Stereophile & Ultimate Home Theater). He be a NY liberal. I'm a GA liberterian with a wide conservative streak. I still think he is a fine writer - and I trust his opinions on HI-FI and Home Theater...but NOT politics. Ditto for you - a real treasure for motorcycling.

As for the slickmeister and the dictator....what a lovely couple! I hear Andrew Sullivan is to be best man - in a leather dress!

And finally...local dealer is giving 1K buck markdown on the additional FJR orders....11, 687 out the door for a std.

Hmmmmm. Very interesting.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 11:04 AM   #89
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The only question is, when has ANY Yamaha motorcycle become an "upscale" vehicle? I could see buying a $100,000 car or built to spec vehicle doing this, but an FJR?? Please! I guess your definition of upscale is an Old Style and a pack of Camels.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:08 AM   #90
maladg
Registered Member

Use your best Herve Villachevez (sic) voice here...."what about the ticking...what about the ticking"
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote