Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 01-04-2005, 05:09 AM   #21
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: YAMAHA RELEASES ADDITIONAL FJR 1300s

$6495 dude! Harley, dinette set, Harley, dinette set. Get with the program!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2005, 05:23 AM   #22
jungkvist
Founding Member

Kudos to Yamaha for the help with the American, MotoGP round.

Truth is (despite all the press accolades) there are already too many bikes that – in one way or the other – fit into the sport-touring niche. And, like the Concours, those bikes can be had used, CHEAP!

Now, with dealers left UNHAPPILY holding the bag, Yamaha wants to generate some buzz: Fine Great, Wonderful...Call us when you knocked a couple grand off the price.

Old 01-04-2005, 05:25 AM   #23
jungkvist
Founding Member

No doubt in my mind.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:32 AM   #24
jungkvist
Founding Member

Don't tell me; they got chrome dishes that look like air-cleaner-covers, too, right?
Old 01-04-2005, 05:36 AM   #25
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Did you see my set at home or something? Those were a closely guarded secret until you just let that one out of the bag!
Old 01-04-2005, 05:46 AM   #26
jungkvist
Founding Member

He's the guy riding the Honda PC800?
Old 01-04-2005, 05:53 AM   #27
Buzz_Waloch
Founding Member

Whenever you see "24% increase" instead of actual sales numbers, you know that it ain't all that great.

I'm sure a Victory press release will be coming soon.
I sincerely apologize for my antics her at MO. It is readily apparent that the majority of MO readers do not appreciate my megalomaniac WWF MO persona. Like the husband that is the last to know his wife is having an affair, I did not understand the detrim
Buzz_Waloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 06:03 AM   #28
kowalke67
Founding Member

...Hardley makes crap.

and

nothing substantive 'new' or 'improved' in any of HD's product line.

Outside of the V-Rod I'd say HD hasn't made vast improvments and when they have they pretty much have updated with mainstream technologies (however, not having followed the HD line except by reading a few articles and some posts, I'm not claiming to be any kind of authority on this subject, just my observations). As ridiculous as it may seem for people to buy an HD using the "same old technologies" I think it can be seen as equally ridiculous to feel you need a 2005 big four nameRR as opposed to the 2002 model. Face it, most of the modern power and technology will never be accessed or pushed close to the limit to actually notice it or take advantage of it by the average- to even above average- street rider. And even an exceptional rider will probably rarely to never get to experience pushing a modern RR to it's limits on the streets. The streets- even when shattering the law- just don't allow it. Couldn't one argue it's equally as silly to buy the latest and greatest that they can't use (or use enough to justify the extra couple thousand they pay for it) as it is to buy technology that was developed years ago?

HD may not use or develope ground breaking technology on their bikes or being slow to update certain models doesn't qualify them as "crap". From what I've read, the quality of the bikes is at least average (average being no more problems than the competition) to good. A comment like that begs for at least one horror story rebuttle but you can find a horror story about any manufacturers bike. I subscribed to MCN for a year and each issue they'd post recalls for all the manufacturers. I didn't notice Harley coming up more than the metric cruisers.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:15 AM   #29
rbarn
Founding Member

About this time last year, I went to three Yamaha dealers and asked them to inform me when Yamaha was going to open the queue and start taking deposits for the FJR. I told them I really wanted one - it was just what I wanted, and I had the cash. In early March I found out that event had happened a few weeks earlier. Not one dealer called. When I went back to two of them, they both said something to the effect that I could still put down a deposit, but should not expect to get the bike until August or later, because I was too late getting my deposit in. That kinda messed up my plans to take a two-wheeled vacation trip on my new motorcycle in early summer.

I took my cash to a Suzuki dealer and bought my second choice and have been very pleased with it.

Yahama's policy with the FJR is not helping them, IMHO. Who knows how many other customers have gone elsewhere because of this outdated business model?
rbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 06:26 AM   #30
kowalke67
Founding Member

oops, hit 'Ok' instead of 'Preview'. If anyones still reading I'm still typing...

The big four are probably using emotion to sell bikes as much as anyone. Harley is selling a brand and an image along with a good bike. The big four are selling RR's with incredible performance for lots of people who like to sit on them and talk about what's between their legs as opposed to actually using it. And you know what? I'm not going to put down either crowd (just the ones who take it to a ridiculous extream on either side). Most of us like to stroke our ego's a little or charge up our psyche a little. Is buying a piece of art work and haning it on the wall tangibly useful? Does it make your room smell better? Make you taller? Make you better looking? Make you a better anything? Unless you consider a Renuzit art work than no, but it makes you feel good. You get pleasure out of looking at it.

If form over function should be ignored then we should all date butt ugly emotionally unappealing women so long as they can plow a field, cook up some grub, and pop out a kid once a year for eight or nine years. That may be fine for some but not for me thank you very much.