Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 01-05-2005, 05:54 AM   #121
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: YAMAHA RELEASES ADDITIONAL FJR 1300s

All true, but look how many 750's and up sat around gathering dust because of the tarif.

I bought my '83 GPZ brand new for under $2k in '86 all because they didn't want to pay a premium

It was because of them dumping bikes at below cost trying to outsell each other, that Reagan enacted the import tarif that gave Harley enough time to come online with the Evo. models and pull themselves back from the brink.

I know you were there so you saw it too. That's what killed off the 750 class, which became the 700, then bumped the 550's in displacement and wound up as the 600 class.

Honda had just started getting serious about the auto industry and there were rumors of them getting out of motorcycles, Yamaha sensed an opportunity and went after them for market share, bankrupting the Brits. in the process.

Honda had more weight behind them and prevailed, Yamaha settled for 2nd place and Harley came back like a freight train with no end in sight, gaining political points by having Ronnie lift the tarif early.

Now Harley's the number one big bore, Triumphs back in the mix and it's still better to see a sister in a *****house than a brother on a Honda.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2005, 05:59 AM   #122
johnnyb
Founding Member

from Cycle News.com:

Formula Xtreme:

1. Miguel Duhamel (Honda) 1:44.053

2. Geoff May (Suzuki) 1:45.169

3. Mike Ciccotto (Buell) 1:46.027

4. Jake Zemke (Honda) 1:46.497

5. Alex Gobert (Honda) 1:46.847

6. Ben Attard (Kawasaki) 1:47.302

7. Dan Bilansky (Buell) 1:54.548

Supersport:

1. Jason Disalvo (Yamaha) 1:43.510

2. Aaron Gobert (Yamaha) 1:44.156

3. Michael Barnes (Yamaha) 1:44.325

4. Taylor Knapp (Yamaha) 1:46.176

5. Ben Spies (Suzuki) 1:46.423

Gotta hand it to Honda, after a full year of FX, they're almost as fast as Yamaha Supersport R6s. B an exciting "200" this year.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 06:06 AM   #123
rbarn
Founding Member

Just two more cents worth. My trip had been planned 4 months earlier (October, the year before) - not necessarily to any place in particular, but when. The disappointing thing was the lack of response from the dealers. I live in the south and ride all year, but have to carefully plan (schedule with employer) long vacations. I just wanted to get away and ride for a couple of weeks on my new bike.

I bought a V-Strom 650. I outfitted it for touring and had the most fun on a bike trip that I ever have (in >30 years of riding). I now leave the luggage off and commute (almost) daily on it.

Next choice was to wait for the BMW1200GS and take a later trip. Even with the later trip, I couldn't get a reasonable assurance from a Yamaha dealer that I would have the FJR in time.
rbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 06:17 AM   #124
donaldl
Registered Member

Default Re: Let's give credit...

The toaster/V-nod, big deal it's got liquid cooling. The sporty, it's about time it joined the last century.
donaldl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 06:32 AM   #125
pdad13
Founding Member

Some of the ad/marketing things I see make me cringe, too. And we're definetely in the age of ad overkill. And some of the things marketed to kids like $400.00 sweatsuits are a joke. But if overindulgent parents didn't buy them, there would be no market for them. So it goes both ways.

But let's turn the issue around. The public needs advertising and branding as much as the marketers do. People buy things that say something about them. What you term as finding "weakness," is just as easily defined as emotional need. People like brands (although they're usually not aware of it.) They decry advertising as crap and lies, yet they make most of they're buying decisions based, in large part, on it.

Imagine a world with no advertising where you could only find out about things by reading specs and doing research. You'd never have the time, inclination or knowledge to figure out which freakin' laundry detergent to buy much less the zillion other things you need. Imagine a bunch of no-name, look-alike products that the manufacturers have no vested interest in improving, differentiating or even standing behind.

It'd be a pretty gray world, wouldn't it?

Imagine what motorcycles would be like (shudder.)

Most people say they hate advertising/branding, but they don't even understand how much of an influence it has on them--and what benefits it actually brings.

And about the only time people will have no use for brands is when grim death is staring them in the face. But probably not before.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 06:39 AM   #126
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Wouldn't ya know it.

Actually, I think that position is occupied by yours truly.

But we could probably always use more. Send your resume and book!
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 06:48 AM   #127
sarnali
Founding Member

NORTON.......nortonnortonnortonnortonnortonnortonn ortonnortonnortonnortonnortonnortonnortonnortonnor tonnortonnortonnortonnorton.......NORTON........
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 06:49 AM   #128
travisyoung
Founding Member

like he said Ducati sport classics

travisyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 06:51 AM   #129
travisyoung
Founding Member

yeah Norton!