Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 01-04-2005, 10:46 PM   #111
gt750
Registered Member

Default Re: Does anyone else think it's funny...

Yah, it is just you!!!
gt750 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2005, 10:54 PM   #112
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Re: YAMAHA RELEASES ADDITIONAL FJR 1300s

Okay, I hear ya.

But, from my experience (as a recovering reptile) seeing the cracks, buttons and weakness of people wasn't something that was a matter of policy, but If you didn't have the ability to do it, you weren't much use.

Now, everytime I see some teenager pouring through the pages of some "You're-a-Loser-if-You-Aren't-Us" magazine, I want to scream. Because, when it comes right down to it, advertising tries to convince people that some THING, other than themselves, will make them happy.

And, if that ain't Bull $hit, I ain't never seen a cow.

As for me, I keep things in perspective by figuring that if somebody hasn't climbed K2, performed heart surgery and won the Nobel Prize, they're just a schmuck like the rest of us, even if they do own a Ducati.

So, lemme ask ya, when Grim-Death is staring you in the face, do you really think he gives a Flying-F%cK about what brand of shoes you're wearing?

Old 01-05-2005, 12:12 AM   #113
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Wouldn't ya know it.

Now, I'm really annoyed!

After saying all that nasty stuff about advertising, I look up and see that I just wrote, what would be, a great Brand Name and Positioning Statement for a motorcycle clothing company.

Grim-Death

BECAUSE...

When Grim-Death is staring you in the face, do you really think he gives he cares how pretty you look?

Make a great T-shirt, too.

Just did a Web-search, no resuslts...Boy O Boy!

This one's getting mailed for copyright.

What can I say; Once an ad-man Always an ad-man.

Hey, pdad, gotta opening at your shop for a Rat-Bastard-Hypocrite? > ;-( ...he, he, he...

Old 01-05-2005, 12:28 AM   #114
jungkvist
Founding Member

Yeah, but in all fairness (like I care) those are all exclusive Boutique-Bikes, not Yamahas (I'm just here for the whine).
Old 01-05-2005, 01:26 AM   #115
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell Dudes

Amazing what you can do with a cement mixer (sorry, couldn't help myself). Actually, 2nd out of six, on the first day, isn't too bad. I'd like to see the Buells do well, especially since - from what I undestand - they're not a factory team. Because, after all, Buell doesn't build sport bikes, they build street fighters (whateverthehell they are). Anyway, good luck Buell...or...I mean...$hit! Now I'm confused.

I got it!

Go anybody who isn't riding a Ducati, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki or aYamaha (that about covers it).
Old 01-05-2005, 02:48 AM   #116
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

So a company that has spent untold millions on marketing research isn't sure that the bike will sell? Kind of like saying the ranger isn't sure if bear shyts in the woods. Bad old 80's? It might have been bad for Triumph, Norton, Harley, and the rest of the Euros, but the Japanese were raking it in, and putting them all under. They WISH it was like the 80's again!
Old 01-05-2005, 03:23 AM   #117
anrajala
Founding Member

Hmmm lemme get this straight. 94 lbft and 131 hp at the rear wheel, overwhelming reviews on every mag, victory in every comparo, incl MO´s own (by a big margin). So you want to bet that machine is an image/fashion etc. thingie?

- cruiz-euro

anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 05:42 AM   #118
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default I wanna Cafe' Racer

Ya make a good point about Japanese styling.

Now, just think if they crossed thier wires a little bit. How cool would an SV1000 that was dressed-out like the new Norton be?

I don't know about anyone else, but when I superimpose the Norton over the SV (in my mind) - along with a vintage quarter-fairing - I get a goofy grin on my face that won't quit.

In may fantasy, the contours would be the same as the Norton, but it would have a pillion seat and a Suzuki jelly-bean cowl (all tastefully integrated , of course).

Okay, it'll never happen, but whadday think?
Old 01-05-2005, 05:45 AM   #119
team222
Founding Member

Yes you need to .........and forget the handbuilts from Italy this time

How about bikes under 15k that there is a 6 month wait list
team222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 06:15 AM   #120
pattonme
Founding Member

it's a basic economic principle - capturing the consumer margin. For any given product there are people who will pay say $12000 for an FJR, more people who will pay $10G for an FJR, and even more people who will pay $9G for an FJR. Yamaha-USA is sufficiently timid and unsure of itself and the demand curve they are dealing with (which has bit the J4 repeatedly in the past) IMO that instead of looking to maximize profits by bracket selling, they're going to take the easy route and sell to only and all of the persons who will gladly pay $12G AND deal with the hassle to boot. It's "risk-averse" selling to put it mildly.

Without doing a proper, controlled survey I can't pinpoint how much real anger is being directed at the brand over this and how many FJR sales they are missing or frankly how many Yam sales are losing to Hon/Suz/Kaw. I would guess the portion of motorcycle buyers *****ing about this is a VERY small and probably on-line minority. Joe schmoe just thinks it's the cost of doing business with Yam and so the annoyance isn't very big at all.

Yam-USA sales can happily get their award for selling every or nearly every FJR for max unit profit. The company may, may I say, have reasons to desperately NOT have unsold models on it's hands. Why I don't know. Seems to me any US models could trivially be gotten rid of in the EU where real motorcyclists abound. Instead of getting an award, if I were Yam-JP I'd actually fine Yam-USA for failing to maximize the factory's profits. Thought you were getting a big bonus? Sorry, we'll give you just 1/4 of your bonus.

One obviously can't keep everybody happy all the time but with this being Yam's 50th anniversary and all, why engage in a sales policy that IS generating a backlash at all?
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote