Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 02-06-2004, 02:54 PM   #1
Redux
Founding Member

Default Very annoying

The first year, I could understand. Yamaha was "out on a limb" cost-wise. It has become quite old. I have debated getting a new FJR but never seem to get within the "window" that I am ALLOWED to request one. If you have to do the silly Pre-order thing. At least make it year- round. I could tolerate having a 90 day wait to pick up the bike. All the hoops will send me elsewhere
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2004, 04:12 AM   #2
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Very annoying

But you get to be part of an "exclusive club"of FJR riders.

I agree with you, last year my re-finance didn't fall into place until after the ordering period, so I wasn't about to put money down in case things fell through. A buddy of mine did pre-order and his bike showed up with no saddle bags. It took a little while to straighten that out, but he eventualy got them and he loves the bike so it ended well.

I can see Yamaha's point in the first year of not knowing how well the bikes would sell, but now they have rave reviews and sell every one they make I think the pre-order deal is just hype. Just do like everyone else and give each dealer an allotment based on sales volume, keep a few in reserve and watch the sales climb.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 05:52 AM   #3
mjs
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 FJR 1300 Ordering & Info

You have to blame the American consumer for this and not Yamaha.

It's been proven that the riders in the good old USA love their cruisers and that sport touring models have historically been a tough sell in this country.

If you want one, put in an order.
mjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 07:01 AM   #4
seruzawa
The Toad

Default You just don't get it.

Only Harley can be ragged on for producing limited edition bikes. Harley does it to screw the consumer because Harley is an Evil American Corporation(tm).

It's perfectly fine when Yamaha or Aprilia any foreign company puts out a limited edition bike. It's completely different. This is self-evident and requires no explanation. You apparenly just don't get it. These companies are not Evil American Corporations(tm) so any identical acts are actually totally different.

Yamaha is doing this because Americans are at fault. Yamaha is holy and pure of spirit and would never put the bottom line before its customers.

Oh, yes. One more thing. Obligatory Loony Link.

Betcha like my links better than Kook's.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:25 AM   #5
F451
Founding Member

I love my American cruiser, but a couple of friends bought FJR's who love 'em. The price is right, well built and I commend Yamaha for making a balls-out sport tourer. I would not mind putting down a deposit or waiting in line, because there will be someone to take my place should I opt-out. Yamaha makes some tight bikes (I have to admit that the new R1 is beautiful and looks more Italian than Japanese). I am waiting to see what the new V-Max will be.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 07:26 AM   #6
F451
Founding Member

Default Re: You just don't get it.

LOL
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 07:33 AM   #7
Winger4Life
Founding Member

Don't want to start a whole flame war but....I don't get the whole sport tourer thing. Why not just get a Gold Wing, Electra Glide, etc... and do it right? If you want comfort, you are not going to get it in that kind of sitting position. You have no where to shift your legs. etc, etc, etc....

Sure it doesn't weigh as much, sure it handles better, sure it has more power, but the main reason for a 'touring' bike is comfort, right?....so you can rack up 800 miles a day and not need three days to recover.

Winger4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 07:41 AM   #8
saddlebag
Registered Member

Depends, if your idea of touring is going to the beach anything comfortable should do. If your idea of touring is taking your SO along to carve up the finest mountain and canyon roads in the country and beyond, only an ST will do.

Me, I'm in the second camp.
saddlebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 08:30 AM   #9
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: You just don't get it.

If only you used your powers for good instead of evil.........

I'll try to explain again for you, American corporations are capitalistic neo-fascist oppressors of the honest and hard working proletariat, whose sole purpose is to exploite the masses and ravage the natural resourses the state in it's mis-guided wisdom alloted them.

Japanese corporations are, on the other hand, wise and benificial stewards of the land who provide well made and usefull products for the enjoyment of the people, and for the betterment of mankind in general.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:03 AM   #10
sarnali
Founding Member

Most of my riding is within 400 miles of home and when I'm not commuting, nowhere near a freeway. I've been riding sportbikes for the last eighteen years and standards and choppers before that. Though I did own an FLH for a few years, the common thread in my bikes is they were little more than engines and wheels.

Sport tourers are perfect for me because they give sportbike performance and handling with just enough weather protection and luggage to let me ride all year and haul some stuff with me. To be honest if I lived in a warmer climate I wouldn't even bother with the fairing and just ride a sport-standard

Without being rude or flaming I could ask you the same question, if you're going to ride around on a Goldwing all the time why bother at all? if comfort and distance is your main criteria why not get a Lincoln LS or a Lex. To me a Goldwing or K1200LT is little more than a two-wheel car. With the FLH Ultra at least you can tell it's a motorcycle, but they're pushing it.

Bikes like this Yamaha or the Ducati, Triumph or Aprilia give near sportbike performance in a good all around package.