Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 02-10-2004, 02:40 AM   #61
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: 2005 FJR 1300 Ordering & Info

I think the EU is just saving you lots of wasted money.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2004, 03:34 AM   #62
brcookg
Founding Member

What he said; sometimes the EU turns their nose up fro the right reasons.
brcookg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 04:41 AM   #63
maladg
Registered Member

Yamaha's marketing "strategy" is as dumb today as it was in '03. BTW, at the ATL CW Bike show, the FJR had a missing saddlebag, paint scratches and was kinda dusty.

Sorry Yamaha, I just don't get it: your "strategy" reminds me of something I saw in the great Bruce McCall's book "ZANY AFTERNOONS" (sadly long out of print) - a fake car ad from a French car - the VUME, a car so exclusive that NONE will be built!

My work take me out on the road occasionally - and I have visited a ton of Yamaha dealers here in the SE - my sample size is about 25 dealers in 4 SE states-I guess that qualifies as a "ton". Nobody I talked to is happy with Yamaha's "strategy". Yes, the occasional extra bike is ordered and they get snapped up pretty darn fast. Ditto for used ones - what few there have been.

Yes, sport tourers don't sell in the numbers that cruisers sell, but here is what dealers have told me ( disclaimer: including ones that are customers of my employer) Generally Sport Tourer riders are older and have more $$ (and most unlikely to vote for whatever creep 'youknowwho' is pushing this week) and are quite a bit more demanding as customers....that is why the "unobtanium" approach is so baffling.

FYI to whoever posted that ST13's cost a lot more: actually the street price of Honda ST is pretty close to FJR list, at least here in the SE. In fact, the street price of an ST std is within $200 or so of the FJR list. The ST ABS is about a grand more...not a deal breaker for a typical sport tourer rider.

It seem to me that Yamaha does not really want to import small quantity botique bikes. I have no problem with that: ya gotta make $$ to stay in bidness and stay healthy. But the continued half assed approach has me completely baffled....
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 04:43 AM   #64
maladg
Registered Member

Oh and one more thing!: those Yamaha nitwits could not be bothered to show a nice blue on at the CW show. Maybe it wasn't available yet...blah, blah, blah.

Honda showed the ST13 in a similar blue - looked great.

Yamaha did not even bother to show a current bike.

Bottom line: they are NOT serious about the sport touring market.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 05:23 AM   #65
seruzawa
The Toad

What is meant by "type approved"? Does this mena that people have to get govt approval to produce new products now?
Old 02-10-2004, 07:11 AM   #66
anrajala
Founding Member

Wellcome to the real world dude.

If a vechicle is imported to EU, it has to fullfill the EU regulations. Check your H-D's indicator lamps, does it have a letter "E" on a small circle, well that does not come from misspelt Eoklahoma.

Type approval has to be done on every motor vehicle to be imported. This is done by a large bunch of people with a combined technical motorcycle knowledge approaching that of a regular sunday rider with fringed arm chaps. Their main job is to do important calculations whether FZ-1 has strong enough fork that the wind does not blow the wheel off at 100km/h.

It is lengthy and expensive process, typically only affordable for large importers. EU is run after all by German attention to detail, French bureacracy and Italian logic. Not that I am bitter or anything, b@stards.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 07:19 AM   #67
Buzglyd
Founding Member

And don't you dare go puttin' on a tinted face shield! It's too dangerous!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 07:19 AM   #68
anrajala
Founding Member

>sometimes the EU turns their nose up fro the

>right reasons

Not in this case. Cruising with this intergalactic battleship around the old continent... talk about scoring, if you know what I mean.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 07:24 AM   #69
seruzawa
The Toad

So you have even worse regulation than we do in the US? And the EU thinks it's going to be the next big world economic powerhouse? LOL!

Do you also need govt approval to make disposable diapers there?

I'm glad that they do such a good job of protecting you from yourself. Who knows what might happen otherwise? Someone in Europe might decide to build air-cooled V-Twins.

Then where would we be?
Old 02-10-2004, 10:41 AM   #70
cyclesteve
Registered Member

Sure it doesn't weigh as much, sure it handles better, sure it has more power"

Did you not answer your own question on why someone would want an ST"
cyclesteve is offline   Reply With Quote