Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 11-16-2003, 04:53 PM   #1
obandoj
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha 2WD Motorcycle in 2004!

I had read about the system a couple of years ago when Ohlins was first developing it. At the time I was very impresed by the elegant simplicity of it all, and also very glad to see some new technology coming into the design of the motorcycle as we know it.

Now it is great to see it come to fruition, it is about time that we see some real improvement in how the motorcycle industry puts some emphasis in changing a 100 year old idea. The potential of the benefits to competition and street use, will be the way of the future. Now is the time to replace the stupid telescoping forks as well, where is James Parker when we need him?
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2003, 06:04 PM   #2
Blake_1
Registered Member

Default Great in the dirt and wet, but on dry pavement?

I'm not seeing 2WD parlaying into a benefit for street riding on dry pavement. I think it is a great innovation for the dirt, and wet weather riding, and possibly for GP racing. I don't see it changing the face of motorcycling as predicted.

I wonder what the added weight will amount to. That front drive system has gotta contribute a lot to the unsprung mass of the front suspension.

Looks like the forks are still conventional style telescopic or am I missing something?

Will be following the development of this new innovation closely.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:47 PM   #3
saaz
Registered Member

Default Re: Great in the dirt and wet, but on dry pavement?

Well, I ride in the wet and other variable conditions. Subaru WRX is fantastic in the dry, unbeatable in the wet and variable conditions. Perhaps not needed by everyone I suppose and one end drivecars do for most people...but are we talking about a new ultimate class of bikes that may not be just fair weather sports bikes?
saaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 01:01 AM   #4
pplassm
Founding Member

According to those who have ridden it, it is most beneficial when riding in sand or deep mud.

I don't know if I'd ride one on the trails I frequent, those hoses look pretty vulnerable, and the trails I like are tight.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:02 AM   #5
sarnali
Founding Member

I wonder if this will be Rossi's ace-in-the-hole in motogp. Getting more Yamaha power to the ground maybe what it takes to ace Honda and Ducati's teams.

If Yamaha already plans this for the R1, can a limited-slip two wheel drive option for the FJR be far behind? Yamaha's been willing to bring out innovative engineering in the past like the GT1000. ('course they didn't sell very well)

Maybe this time it'll work for them, at least now the Rokon Trai-blazer isn't our only option for 2X2 dirt bikes.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 05:57 AM   #6
Buzglyd
Founding Member

The real question to be answered will be one of "feel."

Remember several years ago Honda and Mazda offered cars with four-wheel steering. Even though the cars performed well they didn't sell because people who drove them said they didn't turn in like a normal car.

Only time will tell if Yamaha is offering a product which no one is demanding.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 07:01 AM   #7
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Cool concept

For the skeptics. AWD is substantial advantage for both Subaru and Audi in racing. I had an AWD Turbo Mitsubishi Eclipse that would smoke by friends Turbo Rx-7 rear wheel drive on the wet roads of Seattle. Also in the MotoGP area getting power to the payment, I could see the advantages. The hydraulic transfer is ingenious.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 07:03 AM   #8
KPaulCook
Banned

This a little different than four wheel steering this is about superior power transfer to the payment. Subaru and Audi AWD ring a bell.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 08:05 AM   #9
schizuki
Founding Member

Rossi to Yamaha:

"Put this on my back-up bike and pray for rain."

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 10:15 AM   #10
ikonoklass
Founding Member

I bet it's pretty different. The wheel tracking will be different for one thing. It might be pretty whacky. On the other hand, it may well be the wave of the future.