Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 09-05-2003, 03:10 PM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: New R1 Pics?

First off I'd have to agree with you for the most part. Form follows function and so all of these bikes are constrained to folow certain parameters. The trick is developing an eye for the differences... but first you have to actually care that much.

But I like the way your post brings out people who respond to opinions you never express at all. Nope. Don't see nothin' about cruisers at all. Do they have mental telepathy? Is there a special decoding ring I need to see the opinion that you think crusiers are all unique from each other?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2003, 03:28 PM   #12
anosquid
Founding Member

Default Re: Listen KPaul,

It must have been really hard to type all that with your tongue so squarely jammed in your cheek
anosquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 03:45 PM   #13
detansinn
Founding Member

We have a winner in the style department. Looks sharp.
detansinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 04:24 PM   #14
Nem
Registered Member

THE SWINGARM! it's beuatiful

Bike as a whole isn't perfect, but seeing the new aluminium techniques makes for fresh changes from optimized shapes so far.
Nem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 04:56 PM   #15
detansinn
Founding Member

Default Re: New R1 Pic Observations

Did you notice the following?

-Front of the tank appears to be the airbox (ala MV Agusta F4)

-DRY CLUTCH COVER! Or a totally shameless tease

-Size of exhaust from side seems to indicate that there's going to be four pipes exiting at the back of the bike

-Radial calipers on very large disks compared to Kawasaki and Suzuki

-DDA
detansinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 10:44 PM   #16
Nplateau
Founding Member

Great point, but you really are a matchbook attorney aren't you?
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 04:42 AM   #17
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

That's my point exactly, seruzawa, the differences have gotten so minor visually that they're hard for me to get excited about.

I think all three bikes, R1, CBR & ZX, are works of functional art but the function they're asked to perform is so narrow that they all take on the same lines. Kind of like the women of Playboy. They're all to die for gorgeous and I wouldn’t kick a one out of bed but put them all in a line and it's hard to distinguish one blond, silicone implanted babe from another. And just like these women these bikes are to fast for me but I sure would like to ride ‘em all.

What got me yesterday was some folks were saying the ZX was awful because it had a side can and another said the CBR was fugly then the R1 came out and most folks loved it. My brain cracked at that. The only difference I saw was the pics of the R1 had better, more seductive lighting.

I like the telepathy theory. Now if we could get them to foresee the future of tech stocks weÂ’d all be rich again.
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 06:08 AM   #18
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default Yes... All the same.

R1, ZX10R, GSXR1000, CBR1000RR = Same

999, RSV1000 R = different

I was talking only of Superbikes but if you care to broaden the scope:

Speed Triple, Tuano, FZ1, SS1000, XB9R/S = unique
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 07:24 AM   #19
itsings
Founding Member

Default Re: Listen KPaul,

I disagree, the CBR is not a pure photoshop bodge-up, there was definitly too much real bike there to just be someone's artwork. And the basis of that real bike was enough un-like but so close to many other honda bike's, it has to be the new 1000RR. And especially when you consider the continuity of the ****pit inset photo on cbrworld.net. thats a real bike.

Though the fairing, especially the red, white and blue bikes, does look like it has seen some photoshop magic. I wonder if it is just do to a normal amount of press kit touch up work? or is it possible that the pictures were used as a test bed for proposed paint jobs?
itsings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 07:43 AM   #20
itsings
Founding Member

I definitly disagree, the R1 does and always has since it's fairly recent inception had a look all it's own.

I would say the same of all the major four brands as well as the euro bikes you have mentioned.

Though there are certain aspects of similarity in every crop of specialized motorcycle that comes up. I feel that each of the 04 literbikes has done an excellent job at retaining, or in the case of Kawasaki, evolving their own "genetic" style. A brief glance while being passed by any one of the four "UJMs", as you call them, would be more than enough to imediatly be certain of which manufactuer the bike belonged to. Even you must admit that. And that automatic visible identity is due to the fact that each of the 04 liter bikes has it's own definitive style, contrary to your "UJM" opinion.
itsings is offline   Reply With Quote