Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 12-08-2000, 02:24 PM   #1
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: 2001 Yamaha YZF-R6

Five pounds! A couple of horsepower! Do people really think that that's what will make the difference? It's the rider, not the bike, that wins championships.

And there's no way at all any of this matters on the street, where 95% of riding goes on.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2000, 06:37 PM   #2
FieryErmine
Founding Member

There's still something about riding the bike that's the fastest around the track. Maybe it's not logical. When I was shopping for a new bike in '97, I came to the conclusion that the F3 was probably the best bike for my purposes, so I got the GSX-R600 because it was the fastest. I've only put 11,000 miles on it, but I still like it.

I think the whole thing about owning a sportsbike is that it should be fast, not convenient or comfortable.

Just my opinion.

FE
FieryErmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2000, 08:28 PM   #3
bugsplatter
Founding Member

Right On, I routinely do 200 mile afternoons and occasionally 500 mile days on my 99 Gsxr750. Although this bike is slammed for its ergonomics as soon as I relaxed on it I became comfortable. I prefer it to driving which almost always leaves me with a sore upper back.
bugsplatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2000, 04:44 AM   #4
BurningSquid
Founding Member

Hmmmmmm...it seems most of the motojournalists don't really agree with "torturerack" ergos placed on some sportbikes. I will admit the 86 GSXR's were tortureracks, but the new 600's seem to be doing relatively well. They're SPORTBIKES not cruisers. If you wanted to be comfy, buy a damn couch. Sheesh, I'm almost forty and I gotta listen to younger guys complain about back, neck, and wrist pain every time we stop. Hey I can't help ya if you're 6'3" 230lbs, but in my opinion if you're gonna "pose" at least look like you're having fun.

There was a recent article in one of the moto-rags on rider fitness. I thought it was okay, but it left out lower body exercises. Hey if you INSIST on riding in shorts and tanktop, at least LOOK like you got some muscle! Nothing makes me laugh more than a rider with "stick" arms and legs trying to impress women with their $700 helmet meaning Arai/Shoei/Suomy/Shark etc...
BurningSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2000, 12:06 PM   #5
bugsplatter
Founding Member

Call me insane but you were so impressed with your bike you are only going to keep it one year! I bet it has three thousand miles or less, Why would anyone buy a new bike when there are so many bikes 1-2 years old in need of new homes because their owners had to have the latest greatest. And just what parts made an F4 anywhere near as fast as an R6 around a track, I bet they cost more than 999 dollars.
bugsplatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2000, 02:40 PM   #6
Haga
Founding Member

What?!?!?! "The R6... sucks as a streetbike." Is this a joke? I own a 2000 R6 and it is by far a great street ride. I like it better than the '00 F4. The R6 begs to be ridden hard and responds well at all times. There's no way you were pushing the limits of a bike than leans to a 54 degree angle in stock trim. If you thought it would hurt you then you must have gone through those 40 bikes by laying them down. The R6 is rock solid although it is a bit anemic below 4k rpm which is the only downer in town. I've never felt anything but confident on the bike and taking it into turns is an experience like no other. Trust me, trust the guys at MO, trust the guys at Motorcyclist and Cycle World who called it not only the best 600 sportbike but the best sportbike on the market... period.
Haga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2000, 02:48 PM   #7
Haga
Founding Member

I would agree... it has to cost more than a grand to shove a 929 motor into an R6 frame and then bolt on the F4 fairings.
Haga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2000, 05:18 PM   #8
P-Ratt
Premium Member

For those who have seen a 2001 R6, What do you think of the new style licence plate holder/mudflap? Is it worth keeping on or would you just cut it off anyway?

Personally I would keep it for a little while just because it is nice to see something besides a flat board stuck on under the tail lights.
FZ1
P-Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2000, 10:47 PM   #9
Grapelli
Founding Member

I used to work with this guy, 21 or so and chatted to him about bikes. Shortly after I joined the company he decided he was going to buy a R1. It was at this point I found out he handn't even passed his test. Told him that if he turned up on a R1 I'd pick him up off the bike and ride it straight back to the dealer. I'd have done the same for an R6. He'd likely have killed himself in the first week.

Look, this may sound arrogant in this context, but think of it this way.. how comfortable do you feel when some rich kid comes up beside you in a supercar.. that's quite a bit slower than these bikes..

Ok. Rant over..

Grapelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2000, 04:42 AM   #10
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Can we refrain from the "it's the rider, not the bike" crap for a while? I have never raced, and probably never will, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the most advanced, well-designed, well-built bikes. This may come as a shock to some ignorant and brainless laymen, but there are those of us who like having the best because we find it fascinating. Sometimes I enjoy just sitting and looking at my R1, looking at the pretty CNC milled stuff, wondering how they crammed such a huge motor into such a small bike, how they made it so light, etc., and wishing that I was as smart as the guys who designed it.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote