Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 02-11-2003, 04:16 AM   #1
JohnGeisz
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha shuts down FZ1 sites

Wake up Yamaha.

This is a really stupid move!

You're upsetting your biggest advocates.
JohnGeisz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2003, 04:33 AM   #2
chris788
Founding Member

BOYCOT YAMAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER EVER BUY YAMAHA PRODUCTS!!!!!!!!!!!
chris788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 05:19 AM   #3
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Gotta love these objective comments... how 'bout waiting to get both sides of the story? I'm sure there's more to this issue than this.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:15 AM   #4
rsheidler
Founding Member

I was gonna say pretty much the same thing. The link does not give us enough (actually almost no) information to have any understanding of what is the issue. Did seem that most other posters on that board were not too worked up.

Before piling on and demanding a boycott of Yamaha products, I'd have to know a lot more about all sides of the issue.

Not to mention, if I boycotted every product for which there were p!ssed off owners, I would be living a stone-age lifestyle!

Cheers

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 06:28 AM   #5
UltraBoa
Founding Member

Right, you've got to wonder if maybe Yamaha was a tad upset about the scanned copy of the FZ1 service manual (complete with copyright pages).
UltraBoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 06:49 AM   #6
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Yeah, I imagine they might be a little mad about someone illegally distributing their products.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:59 AM   #7
webdev511
Registered Member

Yup, there is a differance between an enthusist site and copyright infringement.

I wonder if maybe this isn't an error on many sides.

FZ1 Site owner LOVES FZ1's. Post Mucho info on the site.....

FZ1 Site owner scans in his copy of the maintenance manual. and posts on site.

Yamaha Lawers see Copyrighted material on site. Instead of asking owner to remove copyrighted material, they tell the ISP to pull down the site or be sued!

ISP asks no questions and pulls the plug.

Errors...

1. Posting Copyrighted content

2. Not contacting owern and telling them to remove copyrighted material.

3. Isp folding like a cheap suit and not asking the lawyers what the deal is and communicating with the site owner.

If the Site Owner did ignore a request form Yamaha to remove copyrighted material, then the owner is in the wrong.

If Yamaha never contacted the owner they were wrong.

If the ISP never contacted the owner, they were wrong.

It's not clear cut because we don't have the facts, but those items above are what happens 9 times out of ten. People don't talk and end up having instances like this.
webdev511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 07:21 AM   #8
torrnado
Founding Member

I started to read about the big drama unfolding with Yamaha asking sites to remove trademarked content but I couldn't get through all the mindless blather. Get to the point! What happened (without four paragraphs of "I'm never going to buy another Yamaha EVER again...")?

On the other hand, could some of these sites invest and run spell/grammar checking software? *wink*
torrnado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 08:10 AM   #9
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Thanks for the Additional Information

This really puts a different spin on things, doesn't it.

Unfortunately, it seems that a lot of people seem to think that the internet invalidates all preexisting concepts of ownership of intellectial property of any kind.

Seems like Yamaha's aproach was pretty reasonable. Don't wanna alienate your customer base, but you sure as hell can't let someone pirate your copyrighted information, especially if they then sell it at a profit.

Regards

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 08:21 AM   #10
dwr461
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha Shuts Down, Then Licenses To, FZ-1 Site

The Internet BMW Riders and The Chain Gang website's both have lots of maintance and how-to's posted. The difference is that they didn't steal them from BMW copywritten material. The member's of their organizations spent their own time and effort to write them. In many cases, the author's wrote better instructions for Joe Average then the manufacturer's instructions. The reason is BMW assumes you are already a certified motorcycle mechanic. Their maintence material is written to this level. I have not read the Yamaha stuff but I would be willing to guess that it was written similarly.

I agree that the motorcycle manufacturers change an incredible amount of money for their copywritten materials. They can charge whatever they think the market will pay. The reason is because they wrote it. Theft is theft, and they were committing theft by putting copywritten materials on the internet without paying the author for this.

Just my two cents worth,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote