Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 02-04-2003, 01:52 PM   #1
stormcloud
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 FJR1300/ABS Info

This is the one thing that had held me back from considering to buy one.

For the dollars, and with the already impressive spec, I couldnt understand why ABS wasnt offered straight away, especially as they already had a great system on the shelf. Well done Yamaha!
stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2003, 02:56 PM   #2
arizonagerg
Founding Member

Wooohoooo! Deposit sent to dealer Friday. July/August wont come soon enough!
arizonagerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 06:42 PM   #3
bigdaddy_usa
Founding Member

So, does it still have the heat problem on the left side.... what about a color other than Silver (Or gradients thereof)? I bet the answer is no, nope, nadda, nine, etc.
bigdaddy_usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 09:15 PM   #4
sarnali
Founding Member

looks good, any idea when you'll get one to ride? I'm curious how the ABS stacks up against the BMW's, the one you tested in May doesn't appear to have ABS
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 11:29 PM   #5
Bruce_Hansen
Founding Member

Definitely headed in the STX direction. Good tweaks to iron out some of the initial design wrinkles.
Bruce_Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 05:24 AM   #6
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

First, how does someone make a 2004 model at the beginning of 2003? Why would I put $500 on a bike I can't see, or sit on to "guarantee" I get one by December? Why not just wait until March 2004, since I can't ride in December anyway? Why can't they just make them and put them in the showroom like everyone else? Is this the new "artificial increase in demand" sales mojo of Yamaha? I'm sure the bike is nice, but I'll be damned if I buy anything without a test spin. If I can't ride it, it won't get sold to me. Maybe they are afraid you really won't like it, but since your money is down it's too late? Dropping 13 large on a picture and words is the goofiest thing I have ever heard of.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:21 AM   #7
maladg
Registered Member

Could not agree more with T-Bird, et. al. I think Yamaha has done an awful job marketing this bike. In Bruce McCall's wildly funny book, "Zany Afternoons", (long out of print-sorry), there is an ad for the "VUME`", a car so exclusive that NONE will be built! Yamaha is offering a bike so exclusive that evidentally only motojournalists are allowed near them..and of course, bike show attendees.

Hint to the Yamaha marketing "brains". Hell will freeze over before I drop that much long green on a bike I can't even see, much less test ride. And having said that, this ST11 owner wants one still!

Will the industry EVER get over the memory of the 80's glut and resulting markdowns? Industry types; that was a different time. Us boomers are now in our peak earnings years. Now is the time to shower us with goodies! And while you marketing "brains" are at it, how 'bout decent accessories - think BMW.

BTW, JB...the FJ1200 was also offered with ABS in its last yr - 93 (or was it 92?). Saw one and talked to it's owner up at Deals Gap on my last ride of the 02 season in late fall. Very sano bike.

Sport tourers must be a very small part of the total market. Another posting noted that ST11's were rarely seen on dealer floors. Then again, the sport tourers are seen, at least by me, in numbers WAY above what their market share must be - at least in the cool riding areas with good twisties and great views.

Which brings me to a last point: I'd like to see an article that looks more at the business side of the bike business..what sells in what numbers (not just mfg sales rankings), who buys what and why (marketing insider stuff) and who puts what milage on what bikes. Written well by our beloved smarty pants lib (that'd be you, JB), such an article could be mighty interesting. In fact, I can't think of another motojournalist I'd rather see tackle this one.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 06:42 AM   #8
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

"but I'll be damned if I buy anything without a test spin."

Go ride one on their demo tour. They'll probably have one at Sturgis, Daytona, and all the other events they attend.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:44 AM   #9
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

"what the heck is Yamaha trying to pull with this down payment, "you-gotta-place-an-order" shtik? Afraid they won't sell?! "

I would say that that is exactly what they are afraid of... like any smart company, they are trying to guarantee that they won't have a bunch of inventory left over at the end of the year.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:26 AM   #10
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Nope. No "demo tour" for me, playing "follow the leader" for a few miles. I'll take it out in my domain and see what is what. Been there, done that with the demo's at Daytona.