Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 11-19-2002, 01:01 PM   #1
MkellyTL1000S
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha R1 Helibars

No experience on the R1, but I have Heli Bars on a TL1000S and a buddy has them on a VTR1000. They are high quality and make a big difference in ride comfort. Don't let the small rise and back specs fool you, all it needs to do is tip you back a little to take weight off your wrists. I would give them a go.
MkellyTL1000S is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2002, 01:15 PM   #2
itchface
Founding Member

Keep in mind that by taking weight off your hands, it shifts backwards to your butt. This results in more rapid-onset buttburn, reduced front tire feedback, and (perhaps) a slight tendency for your R1 to understeer. I've experienced all these maladies upon 'Heli-barring' my old VTR1000.

Why not give the standard ergos of your (presumably) new R1 a chance to assimilate to your body (or is it the other way around?)? My experience has taught me that given enough time, the otherwise unused muscles that scream in agony after a ride on a serious sportbike strengthen to the point that they clamor down sufficiently.
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 01:20 PM   #3
VAX
Founding Member

Perhaps an FZ1 with lower bars is a good bike for you. They are plenty fast on public roads.
VAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 01:44 PM   #4
SpongeBOB
Founding Member

Grip/hold the gas tank with your knees !!

By doing so, you can relax your arms and shoulders.

Something MSF won't tell you because it doesn't apply to HDs

SpongeBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 02:21 PM   #5
ewok1
Founding Member

i have ridden an r1 with helibars. i have no reason to warn you against them. they seem to work just fine. my friend uses the bike to tour. obviously the wisdom of that decision may be beyond the scope of this discussion. he has a wide range of excuses for it. i think he likes to tell people he rides long distances on an r1. we all have our quirks.

i would have to line up with the people who wonder about why you want to do it. the r1's stock bars aren't that bad on a scale of back swept cruiser bars to ducati 998.

they do reduce the feel, in my opinion. maybe its just me but i need all the feel i can get on that type of bike. using risers made me feel like i was sailing a boat with a tiller. and the boat had some zip to it.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 02:53 PM   #6
itchface
Founding Member

Or Gold Wings. Why is it that most MSF instructors ride HD's or GW's?

Also, while on the subject, I've talked to several people who've taken the beginning rider course who were advised by their instructor(s) not to buy anything smaller than a 750 (or something similarly moronic) or they'll quickly grow bored with their mount. Is anybody watching these people for idiocities like this? Newbies usually take what these instructors say as gospel.
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 02:56 PM   #7
ironmike
Founding Member

Default Re: Helibars

Go for it; you'll be more comfortable - and that is an important point. No matter what you ride, at some point your personal comfort will reach the point of diminishing returns. It could be anything from "monkey butt" to stiffening joints, but if you ride long enough (actually, anytime you ride long enough)... you'll know.

This bike may be the current love of your life, the full flush of infatuation... but let it/her consistently treat your lower back/wrists/neck/etc... to subtle yet tawdry trauma in the throes of your two-wheeled passion, and you'll eventually be subliminally humming BB King's "The Thrill is Gone" in unguarded moments.

As you age (if you're among the fortunate...), your personal comfort becomes a more significant factor - pay close attention to what your body is trying to convey because it will have a direct impact on your situational awareness and subsequent overall safety. Motorcycling is supposed to be fun; you're likely to have more fun for a longer time if you're more comfortable.

On the other hand, if your "fun" must be measured in terms of discomfort, self-flagellation, overt martyrdom, etc... well, you may have issues beyond the scope of our humble forum.
ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 03:42 PM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I put a set on my TL1000 and it was a much more comfortable ride. They were even slightly wider and gave more leverage, so turning was easier. Unless you are always on a racetrack, there is no advantage to lower bars. I don't feel my ZX9R needs them, as the bars are already where I want them to be. If your arms ache, get a set. I don't know anyone that can hold a pushup position longer than I can sit on my butt. That is why those glutes are some of the stongest muscles on your body and the arms are the weakest, because we don't normally use them to hold up our body weight.
Old 11-19-2002, 03:44 PM   #9
AzizaVFR
Founding Member

I ride with a coworker that has a set on his 2000 R1. He had do to some experimentation with them to get correct. If you do get the Helibars, you will want to invest in a set of Triumph bar end weights. Having the right bar end weight will help deaden almost all the vibration out of the bars. the weights work great on the stock bars as well.

This setup has made it more comfortable during our 9 day, 3,000 mile trip and a recent Baby Butt 1000 ride. 1000 miles in less than 20 hours on a R1 is tough on most bikes, even more so if you are not confortable,

I currently run a set of GenMar risers on my VFR800. Between that and the custom-made gel seat, any ride is a spirited and confortable one.

Enjoy.

AzizaVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 04:26 PM   #10
sherm
Founding Member

I had a 98 (first year?) R1 and put helibars on. They helped quite a bit in stop and go riding around town, but didn't make much difference on the open road because the wind blast was enough to keep the weight off the wrists. I thought it was a worthwhile mod.
sherm is offline   Reply With Quote