Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 11-18-2000, 07:46 AM   #1
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Belt and Suspenders

I'm just wondering, how does a belt final drive lend itself to "easy modifications?" Does yamaha have a complete range of different sizes of belts and pulleys? I doubt it. Plus, isn't changing a drive belt a huge pain in the ass? You have to pull the swingarm, right?

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2000, 08:18 AM   #2
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA/Prostar announce new Hot Rod Cruiser class

I'll drop an RC51 engine into my Shadow VLX!!! It's still a V-twin engine!

In all serious, wouldn't an eight-valve 90-deg V-twin technically meet the specifications, as long as a manufacturer put it in a long, low chassis? Is the engine required to be 45-degree, pushrod-driven, or 2-valve/cylinder?

Now when Honda drops the VTR engine into a shadow and puts modern shocks and brakes on it, you'll have a buyer right here. A hot-rodded harley wouldn't stand a chance.
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2000, 11:57 AM   #3
ironmike
Founding Member

Something along these lines has been in the works for a little over three years now. The original concept was a sort of manufacturers' cup series. Factories would be encouraged to offer contingency and limited sponsorship support to privateers. ADBA & AHDRA were approached with draft proposals (rules, classes, tech specs, etc.) but all the sanctioning bodies expected a finacial commitment - up front. Significant disagreement at the factory rep level doomed those efforts.

I'm pleased to see that AMA and Yamaha could make this happen. As I recall, the proposed classes were to be for 45-55 degree (pushrod) V-twins (2000cc or less displacement limit) and a class for 90 degree (OHC) L-twins (1500cc or less); street legal configuration, self starters, gasoline only, no wheelie bars, and street tires. No elasped time (ET) brackets, just race to win! and both standard and pro trees (finals). At the end of the season, the manufacturer whose product was most often in the winner's circle would be awarded the manufacturers' cup for that year. Riders would amass points (AMA rules) toward the championship.

In retrospect, since Yamaha does not yet offer a 90 degree L-twin, I doubt anything but the 45-55 degree V-twins will be legal for competition. I wonder how Aprilla would fit in (60 degree V-twin)?

Incidently, the marketing gurus feel this concept (drag racing) is very likely an extremely popular (and profitable) endeavor; especially in North America... Run/win on Sunday - Sell on Monday!
ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2000, 01:15 PM   #4
ironmike
Founding Member

Default Never underestimate...

...the amount of money behind any version of NASCAR; and there most certainly is a point - Commerce! money, cash flow, receivables, profit margins, etc... The tracks make money, winners take purses, vendors sell, and more motorcycles are sold to the public who were duly impressed by the performance exhibition of some manufacturer's product.

And I agree, the Confederates (right off the showroom floor) will likely set the benchmark for performance (mid to low 11s in EPA/DOT approved trim/state of tune). If the rules allow flowed intake/headwork/exhaust, a competent pilot can play in the 10s consistently.
Old 11-18-2000, 01:25 PM   #5
ironmike
Founding Member

Default Well Keith...

...you're right if you're reffering to an inline four with low weight and mega-power, but that would have to be a different class - and you'd have to be running in the mid to low 9s to be competitive.

But this AMA/Yamaha endeavor is limited to V-twins; and perhaps only 45 degree pushrod motors... we just don't know yet - I've not seen any rules or specs.
Old 11-20-2000, 04:09 AM   #6
knackered
Founding Member

Is the average sport bike rider a more proficient bike handler, or do they just think they are? I regularly take my "huge lard assed cruiser" up to smokies and throw it around the twisties.....pretty aggresively too.

I wish I had 10 bucks for every time I came around a corner and found some poseur/ boy racer/ Karl Foggerty wannabe with a brand new Japanese/ Italian death sled stuffed into the embankment, hey but at least they're wearing a few thousand dollars worth of race leathers and a fancy helmet with a Union Jack on it . To make it more amusing these bozos have usually passed me at mach2 about 3 corners back.

The whole notion that if you ride a sports bike you are some how a superior rider irritates the snot outta me, it just means that you wipe out more spectacurlally, and don't walk away.

Hey if the AMA wants to make racing more appealling to the majority of bike owners more power to 'em I say. I for one look forward to it, if only to see Roadstars being creamed by any Vtwin with a rev limit over 4200!! Anything to take some of the wind out of the ever so sanctimonious and smug Roadstar riders.

Don't flame me, rather say we'll see you on the track, now that the AMA has that racing class!!
knackered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2000, 05:27 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Darn, from the headline I thought they were going to have a road racing class for cruisers. It would be a lot of laughs to see these undersprung wallowing behemoths pretending to go around a road course. ROTFL!
Old 11-20-2000, 06:54 AM   #8
Daniel_Gerous
Founding Member

Thanks for posting before you read the article. It says "drag racing". If you grind your footpegs while drag racing, you aren't doing it right. Slow down before you take the turnoff to the return road. I hope that I'm never next to you at the dragstrip !!
Daniel_Gerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2000, 07:47 AM   #9
Iman01
Founding Member

That would be a cool way to see how much control a racer can have over a machine.

Watching indy cars go fast gets old, that is what makes NASCAR so popular they have requirements to make them appear as streetable cars. Granted they are far from it.

I personally enjoy watching the truck series, drivers are running slower less capable machines, but in spite of that they are still driving very fast. With the lack of aerodynamics it makes for very interesting races. The guy up front can't run away, but the guys in the draft have the advantage of being able to drive faster. It is common for a half mile track to end up with four trucks wide.
Iman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2000, 10:05 AM   #10
CYCLE_MONKEY
Founding Member

You forgot to mention the "weenie-eating" contests for the girls at those events. Something to behold. A line of women seeing who can deep-throat the longest keilbasa is a-ok in my book!
CYCLE_MONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote