Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 03-06-2002, 01:30 PM   #1
RonXX
Founding Member

Default Re: Year 2002 Yamaha R1 dyno run

If only it was more comfortable and about $5000 cheaper, I could buy one.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2002, 01:51 PM   #2
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default #@*(&(*#@&(*$*)#@!!!

HOLY @#$(-ing )(*$@ God(*&U# BATMAN. I remember the R1 making around 130 Horses and 70 lbs/ft of torque. Damn, when will it end. That's only 5 or less behind the Suzuki and it has the best FI? I bet the Suzuki runs a slower lap time in the comparo. I gotta get me one of these. Too bad it won't be until Spring 2003
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 01:57 PM   #3
bimota
Founding Member

Default Surprising

I'm surprised Yamaha didn't bump this number more. To a large degree, big dyno numbers sell liter class bikes. This number is less than you can get out of a '98 R1 with a good exhaust system. It's a good trend though, focusing on handling and other issues over brute power. It's going to be nice to see the big GSX-R lose shootouts this year to bikes with less power.

And if you buy a new R1 and still need more, you can always change the exhaust and the sprockets...
bimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 02:07 PM   #4
jmeyn
Founding Member

It looks like the perfect torque curve with a tiny down-blip between 7 and 8k. I'm in love.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 03:33 PM   #5
Nepenthe
Founding Member

A few points.

First, you guys also had a brand new Bandit 1200S at 108 HP. I think your dyno runs a little high.

Next, how can you dyno test it with 280 miles on the engine? That's far under the break-in. Doesn't that lead to lower-than-normal numbers? Doesn't wringing the thing out to redline in several gears before the first oil change run the risk of problems?

Next, I had heard that the new R1 was *less* prone to wheelies than the last one. Something about the front fork travel, the frame/swingarm geometry, and the power delivery. But now you're saying it's even worse?
Nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 04:03 PM   #6
badsac
Founding Member

Time to see if HTML works here

Next, how can you dyno test it with 280 miles on the engine? That's far under the break-in. Doesn't that lead to lower-than-normal numbers? Doesn't wringing the thing out to redline in several gears before the first oil change run the risk of problems?

That's probably why it's giving up better numbers. Yamaha's probably already given it the old racing break in of flogging the motor for a little while before giving them out to the press. Have you ever noticed that test bikes from the bike shop always seem to put out more power than the ones you buy? Flog a bike young and she'll put out more power. She'll also go off quicker as well though.

Next, I had heard that the new R1 was *less* prone to wheelies than the last one. Something about the front fork travel, the frame/swingarm geometry, and the power delivery. But now you're saying it's even worse?

I think you mean better, not worse.
badsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 04:05 PM   #7
badsac
Founding Member

Oops. Left out the paragraph tags.
badsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 05:13 PM   #8
john
Founding Member

nepenthe....i think yamaha probably broke it in for them....that is usually the case on press bikes it seems. could be why the bandit read high, too. usually i see a stock bandit at 95-98 hp, so i dont know. either a giving dyno or very good luck with bikes.
Old 03-06-2002, 05:26 PM   #9
Nepenthe
Founding Member

Next time you can try out the Preview feature. ;o)

</p>Maybe you're right about the break-in. I don't know by now There's so much conflicting info. On the ZX-12R, I've heard treating it gently for 2000 miles can pay huge horsepower dividends. I dunno...

On wheelies: well, I've never ridden one of these newer hyperbikes. I have an '84 FJ1100. But I'm in the market. Wheelies look fun and all, but also annoying when you try to harnass that power and turn it into forward momentum and all you get is the front going skyward. Anyway, one of the sites had listed the idea that the new bike is less wheelie-prone as a plus. *shrug*
Old 03-06-2002, 05:32 PM   #10
Nepenthe
Founding Member

This may be true. It also raises the question, "what else did Yamaha do to the bike before they gave it to the motopress?"

But even as 'press bikes' go, the Bandit MO tested was up 6-7 HP from what the US mags got.