Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 01-09-2002, 03:21 PM   #1
Sphere
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha Warrior Dyno Chart

First Post!

This bike is beautiful! I want one!
Sphere is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2002, 03:52 PM   #2
rrenwick
Founding Member

I'll take my FZ-1, thanks
rrenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 04:47 PM   #3
Oxbow_LeBach
Founding Member

Not the type of bike I would personally consider owning; too much of a porker for my tastes. But that dyno chart -- 90 foot-pounds of torque at 1800 rpm!!! Can that be for real? That's enough to make most any power hungry madman drool.
Oxbow_LeBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 03:01 AM   #4
Nepenthe
Founding Member

Default Torque-monster!

Wow, and that's without Yamaha's 'Speedstar' upgrades (or whatever they're called).

Amazing low-end torque. Makes a Busa look anemic down low. Too bad about the redline.

Can someone answer a couple of questions for me?

1. How much does this bike weigh with all fluids and gas?

2. How does the VTX compare in the nether-regions of the RPM range (like 1500-3000)?

3. Which bike won the Open Cruiser shootout?

4. Why is the Warrior mentioned with the V-Rod, VTX, Mean Streak, and V-Max, but the Valkyrie is left out? Isn't it a 'powerful cruiser'?

5. In the review (or just right here) can you post info on top speed at redline in each gear? Thanks.

6. Does it wheelie? 8Þ
Nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 03:28 AM   #5
alpster1
Registered Member

I got to sit on one of these gorgeous bikes at the last show here in the DFW area and the job Yamaha has to to breed in a sporting feel to a cruiser is great!

The only thing I noticed that might slow me down is the right side air box cover contacts me solidly in the knee when I put my foot on the peg. If the bike is a shaker that would be a bad thing.
alpster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 05:03 AM   #6
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default Re: Torque-monster!

The Valkyrie is in a catagory unto itself. All the bikes mentioned are twins. The only thing the Valk has in common with these bikes is the two wheels. Believe me, it doesn't belong in this group.

It's power is huge as is the rest of the bike. The only thing that keeps it on the road in fast turns is it's power. The front end is heavy and tends to fall into turns. It also shakes pretty bad when taking advantage of it's amazing lean-angle but the power is there to settle things down.

You are correct that the Valkyrie is a power bike but these comparos need to be limited to bikes that are in direct compatition with each other. They really are that different from Honda's Valkyrie.

Also, I'm not sure about the twins but the Valk will lay down rubber in first & second and if it hooks up it'll push that huge front end into the air in first and pop it up in second as well.

Had to sell my Valk as it brought out in me the natural born hulligan that I am. Not my best feature. :->~

TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 05:14 AM   #7
Eric
Founding Member

This thing looks a lot better in person than it does in pictures. The huge can looks better for some reason.

The power figures are in impressive. I find it kind of funny that Yamaha built its power cruiser with an AC twin while Harley went with the DOHC LC twin. However, a couple of mags have reported that Harley may come out with its own monster size air cooled version of the TC 88.

I would love to take this thing out for a spin. Too bad my local dealership doesn't offer test rides.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 05:50 AM   #8
doc929
Founding Member

Rider says the Warrior wieghs about 650lbs wet, the Mean Streak won the shootout by overall competence, not performance, the only reason that the Valkyrie could be left out is that it isn't a V motor. I agree that if non twins were allowed the Valkyrie should have been included.
doc929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 06:03 AM   #9
doc929
Founding Member

If you calculate the power to wieght ratio of the Warrior, 650lbs/76 horsepower and the VTX, 750lbs/88 horsepower, the ratios are almost identical at 8.5lbs/horsepower. Performance should be very similar, with the Honda having a very minimal advantage. It will be interesting to see what real world testing reveals.

doc929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 06:06 AM   #10
mcjunkie
Founding Member

> All the bikes mentioned are twins

Nuh-uh... there was a v-max in that comparo. and big deal about the twin - 4 - 6 thing anyway, the Valk is a power cruiser and would've made a good comparo.. I wish they'd included it.
mcjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote