Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Yamaha News

Old 01-10-2002, 06:33 AM   #11
rrenwick
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha Warrior Dyno Chart

Why has everyone forgot about the Manga 750. 80 horsepower and 550 lbs works out to a ratio of 6.9lbs/horsepower. Not bad for an old design.
rrenwick is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2002, 07:05 AM   #12
caderider
Registered Member

-doesn't offer test rides-

How in the world are we supposed to see if we like it then??

B
Old 01-10-2002, 07:11 AM   #13
NeedANewBike
Founding Member

While I'm not totally enamored of the Warrior, a good friend of mine is. Our dealership let him take it out for a spin, and he came back with a big sh*t-eating grin. He rides an FJ1100 right now, and he says that low-end power feels like the FJ, it handles beautifully, etc. About the only thing missing according to him is the top-end power of the FJ. He put his deposit down on a blue one that day. It arrives in March.

The can sounds... different. Not quite a 'normal' v-twin sound, but it doesn't *suck*. Loboy shotguns will make it that much better.
NeedANewBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 07:15 AM   #14
Eric
Founding Member

Default off topic

My thoughts exactly. The local Harley/Buell usually has one demo bike from each of the 4 Harley lines (Sportster, Softail, Dyna, and FL), they have a V-Rod demo, and will let you test any Buell on the floor. The local Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki dealer not only doesn't allow test rides, but has those wonderful "don't sit on any bike without assistance" signs everywhere. They also have a 2000 NEW Honda VFR 800 on the floor priced at $9500 -- the original MSRP! Just proof that bad dealers are not brand specific. These guys drove me into the arms of Buell instead of the variety of Japanese bikes I was interested in.

I really would like to test this new Warrior -- it seems like a really interesting bike. I might have to go to a dealer in another city.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 07:27 AM   #15
Lincoln
Founding Member

Default Re: Torque-monster!

i agree with you. If the title of the comparison is "Power Cruisers" than the Valkyrie should be included, as well as the VMax. If it was called "V-Twin Power Cruisers" that's a different story. I would love to see a comparo between the Valkyrie, the Vmax, that "James Bond" BMW, and the biggest baddest V-twins.
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 07:53 AM   #16
Grappelli
Registered Member

Funnily enough this bike has pretty much the same suspension and brakes as the FZ1 (Slightly moded, or course...)
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 07:53 AM   #17
Grappelli
Registered Member

Funnily enough this bike has pretty much the same suspension and brakes as the FZ1 (Slightly moded, or course...)
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 08:18 AM   #18
Nepenthe
Founding Member

Default Re: Torque-monster!

Don't forget the Hunwick Harlem or whatever it's called.
Nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 08:36 AM   #19
Nepenthe
Founding Member

Cool, I ride an FJ1100 as well. ) Basic performance mods and 'fixes' (brakes, 2nd gear, fork spring, oil cooler, cam lobe, MEZ2 tires, carb needles).

The FJ is still a beast, but with 90 rwTQ at 1800, I'd expect the Warrior to have a bit torquier feel (despite the 80 pounds extra weight and undoubtedly taller gearing).

Then again, the FJ pulls 4000 RPMs higher at redline than the Warrior.
Nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 10:51 AM   #20
mcjunkie
Founding Member

Sounds like this 10k new bike is almost as good as his *17 year old FJ (*1100 last made in 85).. I would expect more bottom end than the old FJ though which, stock, makes a mere 72ft/lbs, around 5k or so.

I also am an FJ fan/owner (91) could you tell Never ridden a Warrior, but did ride my buddies VTX, which DOES have a sh*t load of umph down low, more even than the FJ. Too bad the rev-limiter kicks in so quick.
mcjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote