Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > World Superbike

Old 10-01-2001, 07:49 AM   #1
elitegroup
Founding Member

Default Re: Bayliss earns title in Imola

Both races were exciting to watch, I was glued to the television. Troy B. and his silver ducati were on a mission, he literally road the wheels off that bike only to fall short (no pun intended). Edwards never road all that aggressive it appeared to me, at least not like Xaus.

I was hoping to see a little more from other racers considering it was the last race of the season, but I guess finishing is one thing and riding reckless and close to crashing every lap is another.

None the less I loved WSBK this year and I can't wait for the 02 season to get under way. My prediction for next year flat out Xaus! If he rides like he did the last few races and keeps the rubber side down, I dont think anyone is going to have a chance. The man is just to willing to sacrifice his own safety you can see it every lap he rides. He pushes that bike to the point of no return and in my opinion that's the only way to know the absolute limit of youself, the bike and of course them pesky tires.
elitegroup is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2001, 08:39 AM   #2
das
Founding Member

Default Re: Crashes

Yikes!

The Bayliss/Laconi crash was nasty-looking. Poor Laconi; Bayliss went way too fast up the inside of Laconi and ran wide, Laconi tried to dive back past underneath, but Bayliss lost and re-found the back end, resulting in a horrendous tank-slapper that ended up pitching Bayliss' bike right in front of Laconi, who had nowhere to go, and got launched amidst a spray of parts and pieces. At one point it looked like Laconi's bike was standing nose-down on top of Laconi's head. If I were Laconi, I'd bronze that helmet and put it on my mantle.

Bayliss was completely at fault, and you have to feel for Laconi, since it was one of the very few times he was running up front all year, but kudos to Bayliss for, even though he was obviously in pain, walking immediately over to Laconi to apologize. I half-expected Laconi to haul off and punch him. Kudos to Laconi for coming back and winning the second race.

Did anybody get a decent look at the Corser/Edwards crash to see what happened? The only view they showed on Speedvision was this amazing close-up of Edwards where the upside-down, cartwheeling body of Corser, already detatched from the bike, just comes sailing into the frame, as if launched from a circus cannon. Poor Edwards managed to avoid nailing Corser, and even kept the bike upright through most of the gravel trap, but apparently lost it just before or after hitting the barrier; he wasn't gonna catch the leaders, but he was having an ok race (running 3rd or 4th at that point).

I know it was artificially inflated by the crashes up front, but Steve Martin had two good results (6th and 5th). Where did that come from? I don't know anything about him or his team, but that's pretty impressive for a privateer.
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 04:41 AM   #3
das
Founding Member

Huh? Get over what?
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 08:21 AM   #4
MyTruckIsFaster
Founding Member

Hell, All I got to say is that was on the "edge of your seat racing" Nothing like sitting at work watching the boys ride the wheels off those machines. But c'mon Edwards, I thing you could have ridden a little harder. (Xaus).
MyTruckIsFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 08:41 AM   #5
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default Re: Bayliss earns title in Imola

"...road the wheels off that bike only to fall short" Ouch! I know you said no pun intended but I have a sick and twisted mind... I was already grinning by the time I read that. Bayliss was way to hot trying to ride with Laconi. Happy to see Laconi wasn't hurt. Sorry to see the broken collor bone for Bayliss but hey he still got the #1.

TatdNPrcd

"Cages are for Hampsters!"

http://www.ridetowork.org
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2001, 10:35 PM   #6
zxguy
Founding Member

Another Australian privateteer
zxguy is offline   Reply With Quote