Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > World Superbike

Old 10-30-2000, 07:16 AM   #1
FloridaSteve
Founding Member

Default Re: Yamaha R7 out of World SuperBike

It seems quite likely that the Yamaha reorganization might have something to do with the rules changes in GP. Now that Yamaha's #1 rider is in GP and four strokes are soon to be involved the resources are probably going to head in that direction. If they do develop a 4 stroker for that series it is going to be quite expensive and time consuming. Contrary to what many believe resources are not unlimited. Just my 2 cents worth.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-30-2000, 07:29 AM   #2
Haga
Founding Member

I think Yamaha is looking forward to the expected rules change allowing for a 1000cc limit for the entire field of WSBK(supposedly 2002). It seems to me they have a pretty solid base to work on for the new displacement limit bike if they choose to re-enter when the deck is more stacked in their favor.
Haga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2000, 10:11 AM   #3
oldtwinsracer
Founding Member

If one watched the 500GP from Phillip Island last night, one could not have missed the similarities between that and the typical 125GP But those guys were on 500s! F1 cars just wish they could put on that show. I look forward to seeing Haga-San on the 500. Since the 500's are lame ducs(pun intended) themselves, I want to see every talented rider there is on them next year so later on we can all look back and say...Remember them great days in ''01, when all the 500s were within a couple of seconds on the grid...
oldtwinsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2000, 11:21 AM   #4
john
Founding Member

Everyone, and oftentimes haga, have dogged the r7 this year for being down on top speed. We all know Haga had to ride the balls off that bike to finish as well as he did. I think yamaha is doing the smart thing, which is one of three things:

1) They have decided to pull the r7 and develop a new bike for WSBK (possibly a twin??).

2) Simply pull out of the series b/c they got jerked around.

3) Dedicate their racing efforts to AMA and GP500

or

4) Make that 4 stroke GP contender.

Whichever it is, I think that since yamaha doesn't have the honda finances, this move will ultimately be a smart one because it frees up valuable rescources within the company. Hopefully Yamaha will come back bigger and better.
Old 10-30-2000, 01:39 PM   #5
motorcyclerider
Founding Member

The sad thing is that by not racing the R7, Yamaha will lose sales in WSC countries as the R1 & R6 are inline 4 strokes and not two-stroke machines so the FAN can't feel close as I doubt even the fortune souls in Europe that can even buy a two stroke could afford a 500cc version, if made!!

It will be interesting to see if Yamaha does well

in the AMA SuperBike series and sales increase, to compare them to sales of Yamaha sportbikes in the WSC racing countries. Think about it Yamaha!

motorcyclerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2000, 01:54 PM   #6
Vook
Founding Member

If an R7 is a piece of ****, then obviously you are a rider of more talent than is deserving of this thread........NOT!

Save your useless moronic comments for a more useful purpose......talking to yourself when you''re on the can.......
Vook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2000, 06:53 PM   #7
Colorado_F4
Registered Member

Default Re: 4 cylinders, World SuperBike, Haga.....

Tell me this: were the rules clear about that particular drug being illegal? If so, cry all you want about how it doesn't enhance performance. It's a banned substance, that was known by anybody who cared to look it up. Case closed.
Colorado_F4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2000, 05:10 AM   #8
Lincoln
Founding Member

Kevin Cameron has a great article in the November issue of Cycle World titled GP Four Strokes. Anyone who is interested in the WSB vs GP thing would find it very interesting. He covers things such as horsepower, budgets, tires, WSB among others
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2000, 06:19 AM   #9
john
Founding Member

Yeah, but wait till next year, Rossi will take it in two, just like he did in every other class he has raced in.
Old 10-31-2000, 07:33 AM   #10
MWR
Founding Member

Default Not Quite.....

Actually it has done well in the British Superbike series . It would probably do better in the US series if Yamaha had Mladin or the other Hayden. Take into consideration the rather lopsided Twin handicap formula and you see why 4''s aren''t winning more races (everywhere), and it also gives you a good idea just how talented Mat Mladin really is. Should be interesting to see if Yamaha can get a full season of commitment out of Gobert, (Talk about potential for drug test problems!!) then we will see what the R7 really has to offer. Lets face it the guys they have had on the bike are nice enough, but hardly proven race winners at the top class level. my 2/100''s of a $.
MWR is offline   Reply With Quote