Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > World Superbike

Old 05-25-2001, 05:58 AM   #1
das
Founding Member

Default Re: Hizzy in tha House

Oh no! Here we go again. Just like last year, the locals are looking fast in Britain.

Gosh, I'm really looking forward to another round of thoughtless motojournalistic drivel about how wonderful all the British Superbike riders are.

Facts are facts, boys and girls, and the fact is that the only person in the last few years to race in the British Superbike series and also be truly competitive in WSBK is Bayliss... and (1) he's not British, and (2) he's ridden in one or two racing series besides British Superbike (i.e. let's not start re-writing history and saying that Bayliss learned everything he knows from British Superbike).

So, before we all start getting glassy-eyed, let's keep things in perspective. The Japanese locals handed the WSBK regulars their heads in Sugo (2 races, 5 podium spots to locals, with total dominance by Tamada), but there aren't any Japanese riders in the top 5 in points for the series right now.
das is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-25-2001, 06:34 AM   #2
stevegrab
Founding Member

Still just the first qualifying session, still another to go, and superpole, a lot will change before then. I doubt Edwards and Corser will be off the first rows, and likewise some of those top guys are going to drop back some. But then it could rain tomorrow, and all these times could stand to Superpole. Then its a matter of who has the balls (nads, cajones) to let it all hang out for one lap.

I'm hoping for a dry round though, that track is way to fast for riding in the rain.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 06:38 AM   #3
stevegrab
Founding Member

das, check your information before posting. Akira Yanagawa is presently in 4th in points in WSC.

As far as wild card riders, they'll never dominate a season, but can make a big impression at one round. I remember my first WSC event, 97 at Laguna Seca. Miguel Duhamel (at that time leading the AMA Superbike series) battled with Fogarty and Kocinski in both races, and finished 3rd. Pretty impressive I thought. A shame he's had so many injuries since then, his career has kind of stalled. Now Honda asks him to work hard to defend their AMA 600SS title, while young Nicky Hayden is expected to carry the banner in the AMA Superbike series.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 08:33 AM   #4
das
Founding Member

Damn. I did check before posting... but the list I saw was after 4 rounds, and looked like:

1. T Corser (Aprilia) 122

2. T Bayliss (Ducati) 100

3. C Edwards (Honda) 80

4. B Bostrom (Ducati) 74

5. Pf Chili (Suzuki) 61

Either way, my point still stands that there's little correlation between performance as a wild card rider at your local WSBK stop and performance in the series once you get there.

I just get tired of the motojournalists lavishing undeserved praise on the local wild card riders when history has shown that they typically are not competitive if given full-year rides in WSBK. There are certainly exceptions, but they make it sound like the wild card riders are actually more talented racers. I guess it just gives them something to talk about.

Oh, and I agree about Duhamel. He's earned all the respect he's given, and then some.
das is offline   Reply With Quote