Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > World Superbike

Old 05-13-2001, 06:42 AM   #1
dexman
Founding Member

Default Re: World Superbike Championship, Race two

2 for Bayliss whoo hoo. That must hurt if you're Aprilia. Shucks I hate being the first to post.
dexman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-13-2001, 10:06 AM   #2
blip
Founding Member

Default Ben's crash...

I hope Ben is okay!
blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 01:08 PM   #3
mge
Founding Member

Good start and good racing by Bayliss, in both races. Two points to note...

the twins doing well at this circuit....

and Colin Edwards' gracious comments...

mge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 02:54 PM   #4
krisd
Founding Member

I am an Aussie, and so naturally I support the Troy boys. But I have to say, Colin as an outstanding example of a sportsman and world camp. He gives due when just deserved. Onya Colin, a big thumbs up from down under.
krisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 06:53 PM   #5
badsac
Founding Member

World camp???? I never knew Colin was a shirt lifter!

Yeah, I agree though, Colin showed good sportsmanship in those interviews. He even had the good graces not to get riled when Suzie Perry made that dumb comment that she'd never heard him say such things before.
badsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 08:04 PM   #6
tal4321
Founding Member

i personally think that the texas tornado's season was just reborn this weekend, and that bayliss and colin edwards would fight for this chanmpionship till the very end, and maybe, maybe corser and chili if they both start putting in some more consistency, and of course, the yanagawa, who is just making mmirecals happen on his old kawasaki (6years old)
tal4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 04:09 AM   #7
rog
Founding Member

Good points.

Seeing Bayliss and Edwards up front was not the real story hear (though it was nice to see some lead changes instead of the breakaway leader that had made wsbk a bit boring just as gp finally went the other direction, changing leads instead of hosting processionals) Anyway, the interesting but sad part was to see Corser doing so poorly and Yanagawa so well. What's allowing the ancient Kawi to fare so well? Just Yanagawa? If so, it would be great to see Kawi put him on something new (and cut him slack for the first year of development), or put him on any potential kawi 4stroke reentering GP, or maybe see a Japanese rider on a European bike instead of the normal converse. Whatever the case, Yanagawa was pretty impressive. Of course, it _was_ done in races that saw Corser and Bostrom crash or retire in both, and Chili and Xaus and Hodgson in one each, so in reality, you could argue that 3rd place was a very distant 3rd in both cases this weekend. Still, Kawi is doing an impressive job with the old beast, as Lavilla has done well with the Kawi this season too.

Hope Bostrom recovers soon and shows a bit more consistency. I'd love to see a 4 way dice for first vs the current triumvirate. Maybe next year. If Bostrom improves as much next season as he has this season, then he may yet be a future contender. Hope he heals soon and can be back to practice, even if not true title contention.

roger
rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 06:22 AM   #8
thorn
Founding Member

Kawasaki has traditionally done well at Monza because their bikes have such great top end, which is well suited to such a fast track.
thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 06:27 AM   #9
granny
Founding Member

Default Re: Ben

The mention of shoulder dislocation leads me to wonder if Bostrom actually has an ACL failure (collar bone (clavicle) is torn from the shoulder (acromion process) damaging the joint and the ligaments holding the joint together). That kind of failure is a bitczk to repair (usually surgery is required).
granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 09:46 AM   #10
cranx
Founding Member

First off, good on Bayliss. He's been fast all year (except at Sugo) and was definitely due. Secondly, good on Yanagawa, too! You have to wonder how he'd do if Kawi would only update the bike.

Now the real question so far this season: what's up with Suzuki? Why can't the brand-new, latest and greatest, traction-controlled-answer-to-the-twins Gixxer keep up with that prehistoric dinosaur the ZX7RR?? It's not just Monza (where maybe you can argue it's all motor) but all year.
cranx is offline   Reply With Quote