Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   World Superbike (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/world-superbike/)
-   -   World Superbike vs. Formula 1 (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/world-superbike/544-world-superbike-vs-formula-1-a.html)

Lincoln 05-01-2001 09:01 AM

Re: World Superbike vs. Formula 1

there really is no comparison. 20 seconds each lap? but i think the bike riders have a much more difficult job - the cars do a lot of the work for their riders

dickdastardly 05-01-2001 09:07 AM

What a difference not slowing down for

the corners makes.

Gixxerboy 05-01-2001 09:17 AM

I'm not certain the bikers have a more difficult job... just different. At this level of racing all drivers/riders are pushing the limits of their machines. In this field.. and only in this field... do cars have the edge on bikes. Just look at the difference in hp/lb and the amount of rubber each machine has in contact with the pavement. I'm afraid we bikes get kicked by the better machine for the job.

I wonder what would happen if there were NO restrictions on bike and car design (car turbos, bike engine size etc). There's a thought to ponder.

HOWEVER, when you look at production machines and off road, the cagers cannot keep up in anything ;-)

RobGixxer750 05-01-2001 09:37 AM

Funny

This is quite odd. I think that someone from MO must read Sportbikeworld.com forums :) I posted this just last night, where there was a big discussion about how ignorant riders think that they are incredibly faster in the turns than cars. Almost any very small car with a decent suspension set up can out corner most bikes on the street. Bikes are amazingly fast considering out contact patch, and our limitations. Formula 1 has so much downforce, it's a big joke, no way a bike could even barely do half the corner speed they can carry. Not to mention they out accelerate, out brake bikes in a big way. Bikes are limited, because we are consantly fighting due to the light weight, and general instability of being on two wheels.

I have a big thread at Sportbikeworld.com about it http://www.sportbikeworld.com/showth...&threadid=9274

Rob

RonXX 05-01-2001 09:37 AM

The difference between bike times from 1st to 8th is just over 1 second. The difference for the cars is almost 2.5......i think we all know which type of racing is more fun to watch.

minime 05-01-2001 11:48 AM

Re: Funny

Very funny coincidence. HackFu just watched the Formula 1 race last night on Speedvision and was telling me about it this morning. I decided to go to www.formula1.com to check things out and saw that they were testing at Valencia. I then went back to an old news.mo post to see what the lap time differential was. Needless to say, I was shocked. I thought some readers might get a kick out of the disparity as well, so I posted it.

I will go check out that thread you started, though. I'm curious to see what others are saying. Thanks!

hindle 05-01-2001 11:56 AM

What a hornets nest you stirred up this time MO. Your damn right "Compare" isn't the right word. First, bikes against cars? Might as well compare apples against oranges. F1 against WSBK. There again might as well be apples an oranges. When was the last time you saw someone driving down the street in what looked like Miki Hakkinen McLaren? Never. I see Ducks and RC51's quite a bit. Comparing a machine based on a $10,000 dollar street version to a machine that isn't based on anything at all. Did you expect WSBK times to be better or even close? F1 is another world. There isn't a bike series that even comes close to the statue of F1. Not even GP's.

Well if you wanted to get some hits to the site you did. Congrats.

minime 05-01-2001 12:10 PM

Actually, HackFu drives a McLaren so we see one every day. There's a lot of F1 cars roaming the streets down here. Makes Monte Carlo and the French Riviera look rather ghetto if you ask me. GP bikes everywhere here, too.

We'll be sure to clear all posts with you in the future.

hackfu 05-01-2001 12:12 PM

Hey minime, you're "A" compound tires just came in from Michelin, should I have the crew do the swap out?

Oh yea, don't ride the GP bike, the gold leaf coating on the inside of the fairing is getting loose. I guess I should be more careful on the freeway.

marcel_g 05-01-2001 12:23 PM

The cars will always win out in terms of sheer lap times because they have the advantage of aerodynamic down forces and the much lower angle between the center of gravity and the outside rubber contact patch to allow them to corner at much higher speeds. It's an inherent limitation in a motorcycle.

However, bike racing is much better to watch because racers actually pass each other, and because the results in bike races depend much more on the rider than they do on the driver in car racing.