Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > World Superbike

Old 05-02-2001, 05:31 AM   #41
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: World Superbike vs. Formula 1

My data is old, club level, and maybe has some errors, but what the hell, here it goes:

At Texas World Speedway, many local clubs race on the various course layouts. The CMRA is a pretty darned good moto club and the regional SCCA is pretty strong as well. I remember reading lap times from a few years back in my SCCA newsletter and the cars were amazingly fast. Formula Fords were smoking our best Superbikes. Formula Fords have no wings and run with crappy little Ford Zetec four bangers making <200hp.

For the record, I love any kind of racing and respect the champions. I'd consider moto racing the most fun to watch and F1 to be the most technically demandingon the the pilot. Lastly, don't write off NASCAR technically. I did, then I got educated. They are much more sophisticated than they seem.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2001, 05:39 AM   #42
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

"Bike racers, on the other hand, must respect the proximity of competing machinery lest they risk self-elimination."

I would like to burn that thought in the minds of some moto racers I know. I've been bumped on the track. Once, an a-hole charged up the inside and (after the apex, no less) slammed me off the track. I managed to keep it together and not crash, thank heaven. Later, he was heard bragging that he was out there knocking riders out of his way.

As for gymnastics and fitness, go to a Supercross or National MX, then get a dirt bike and see what it is like. Wow, do I respect those guys. This is not to take away from the Superbike racers, btw.

Whatever. If you see 'em on TV, they are pretty freaking talented and fit.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 06:01 AM   #43
BarryW
Founding Member

I've got experience street riding, roadracing, dragracing (8-second bike), and dirt riding. Yes, I would agree dirt riders, specifically motocrossers, are the top of the bike racing food chain in terms of physical abilities. The injury scenario and progression from one sport to another that I mentioned between bikes and cars also applies in the bike world. Many good roadracers come from the dirt, not the other way around, and careers are even shorter and injuries more frequent in the dirt. What a bummer.

BTW, I've also been 'punted' by another roadracer, but it's not an effective syle like in cars and nobody that does that will make it too far for many reasons...not the least of which is someone will eventually clean his clock, on or off the track.
BarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 06:34 AM   #44
DeadVFR
Founding Member

I wish I could remeber his name, but a high level member of the FIM once said, "Compared to motorcycles, cars are for wankers."
DeadVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 07:51 AM   #45
Lincoln
Founding Member

Default disagree

i disagree with the "out-accelerate" part. a grand prix bike will acelerate with an F1 car, well until the upper 100mph range. Road and Track did a complete test on the BMW F1 car, and it turned a 9.4@181mph 1/4 mile. i know the grand prix bikes would be very very close to this.
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 08:56 AM   #46
DosEquis
Founding Member

That would be interesting...or a Ferrari street machine versus a Duck!
DosEquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 09:17 AM   #47
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Well...

only if they called themselves athletes. I respect it for requiring lots of skill, it's just not athleticism.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 08:10 AM   #48
CBR1000F
Founding Member

Yep, it's amazing what all those ground-effects and all that rubber does for the handling. Ever watch the G-Meter on the telemetry from an F1 car? It's amazing.
Old 05-10-2001, 04:47 AM   #49
crackhead3003
Founding Member

What about joey dunlop he was pretty old and was still a bad ass
crackhead3003 is offline   Reply With Quote