Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > World Superbike

Old 05-01-2001, 12:32 PM   #11
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default F1 easier?

I would have to disagree that F1 drivers have it a lot easier.... If we were talking about NASCAR drivers (don't get me wrong, I still love to watch Dale Jr. and Michael Waltrip) then you might have a point. F1 drivers, on the other hand, need virtually supernatural control to achieve the lap times that they do. Only now are the driver's jobs starting to get somewhat easier, since traction control has been partially deregulated (although who's to say whether someone was using it before anyway?)
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2001, 12:43 PM   #12
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

Default Production cars

I agree that it's not hard to get a regular street car to hang with a bike in the corners (although there are few showroom-stock cars that can. Modifications are usually neccessary.) All you really need is a Civic with lowering springs, stiffer shocks, larger anti-roll bars, and 17-inch wheels/tires.

I think one of the reasons that bikes are as fast as they are, considering their limitations, is the quality of the tires and suspensions. High-performance street motorcycle tires are much softer, better engineered, and don't last nearly as long as a comparable car tire. The average sportbike also has suspension design and quality that is light years ahead of the average family car that costs three times as much. Most automobiles are agricultural in design compared with a modern sportbike. That's why you need to spend upwards of 6 times the price for a stock automobile with similar quality and handling.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 12:57 PM   #13
TitaniumCanoe
Founding Member

Default Re: World Superbike vs. Formula 1

True, bike racing is more pure one-on-one racing. But, F1 is more of a team sport involving strategy, pit work, etc. Anyway, both are great to watch.

By the way MO, this is the kind of news item/story that really moves you up the scale and makes the contribution worthwhile.
TitaniumCanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 01:00 PM   #14
CarsSuck
Founding Member

Default Bike takes more skill

Formula 1 is a video game. There may be as much or more risk, but it doesn't take more skill. I'm not saying it doesn't take a lot, more than I have--but no way does it take more than bikes. There's no real physical skill, and for that matter F1 cars are fly-by-wire. It's a video game, except you can get hurt. Compare body fat percentages of F1 drivers and roadracers--now that'd be interesting. And someone said bikes are limited by contact patch. Compared to F1, yes, but most small streetcars do not have more contact patch per pound than a bike, and the bike needs less proportionally (lighter requires a smaller ratio). The limitation of bikes is how far you can lean. Motorcycle riders take it all the way over, and then that's it--any faster would widen the turn. The problem is not lack of contact patch though. Lots of cars can be made to have a bike-like power-to-weight ratio, but they can't accelerate because they're spinning all that contact patch while a bike just takes off. Less weight requires a smaller traction surface-to-weight ratio, and motorcycles still have a better ratio than most small street cars. An F1 "car" is a purpose built vehicle that happens to use 4 wheels, and uses kazillions of dollars more than motorcycle racing has available. And anyway, they should've waited for GP lap times, or for a better "comparison" show the street-based race cars' times against superbike.
CarsSuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 01:54 PM   #15
kermy20
Founding Member

Default Re: Production cars

Looks like it's time for motorcycle designers to start incorporating extra surfaces for dowforce...imagine light, hydraulically controlled surfaces near the bottom of the bike that change angle based on the lean of the bike (self-levelling spoilers to increase contact force). Even, just aerodynamics that allow for better airflow around corners, and such...

Dunno if it would ever happen, but it'll be cool if it did...
kermy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 02:05 PM   #16
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Cool story, MO.

As for you wankers who think F1 is easy, well, I don't think I can educate you in a paragraph.

For the open minded consider this:

1) Michael Shumacher is (or is pretty cloase to) being the highest paid athlete in history.

2) Most moto racers had a tough time when trying to race cars.

3) Cars are FAR more complex in terms of setup. Anybody who knows anything about top level racing of any kind knows that setup requires an excellent machine, crew AND pilot.

4) Paraphrased Schwantz quote (remember, he had a rough time in NASCAR): "It is much harder to set up a car than a bike. On a bike, I can compensate for poor setup choices to a far greater extent than I can in a car."

Being a top auto racer is pretty tough and in some ways similar to moto racers. Don't fool yourself into thinking that it is easy on the body either. Ever try to take 3g's laterally, over and over and over and over again? Ever try to survive having your heart rate at 170bpm+ for 40 minutes?

These guys are just as incredible as our moto boys.

Still, I agree, bikes are much more fun to watch.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 02:30 PM   #17
hondachop
Founding Member

Someone mentionned that Superbikes are production-based racers, while Formula 1 cars are built without any regard for real-world limitations-good point. Basically, if I had enough money, I could buy a stock sport bike and make it pretty close to a Superbike racer, while no amount of money would give me a car with the aerodynamics, power-to-weight ratio, and handling of an F1 car. It would be interesting to compare lap times for production-based bikes and cars - say, Superbikes vs. NASCAR or something. Are there any tracks in the world where both compete?

On another note, I guess the fact that a motorcycle can't hold as much speed through a corner is why there is more passing and the racing is so much more interesting to watch (IMHO, anyway). Because cornering speed is so dependent on choice of line, lean angle, guts to hold off the brakes, or whatever, there are a lot more opportunities to pass.

And finally, someone suggested a body fat comparo between F1 drivers and WSB riders - sounds entertaining to me. While you have the old BF calipers out, why not do a MO staffer vs print journalist body fat comparison? Let's see if sitting in front of a computer all day has made you guys soft.
hondachop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 02:36 PM   #18
z_mo
Founding Member

They both compete at Sears Point, and I think the bikes are faster than NASCAR cars, but not by much. Don't quote me on that, though. I'll dig through our race team notes for lap times and see what the NASCAR time is a the Point.

Or, we could just ask John Cardinel (sp?), the Sears Point media guy...
z_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 03:40 PM   #19
TeamProBono
Founding Member

Default Re: NASCAR vs. AMA Superbike

You can't compare times at Sears because NASCAR runs a shorter track using a section called "The Chute," running from Turn 4 to Turn 7. FWIW--NO other organization that uses Sears is allowed to run on this "hallowed" stretch of pavement. Also, even if you used the full Sears configuration from older NASCAR rounds, the AMA has always run a chicane (or two) before Turn 1 because of the lack of run-off room in Turn 1. NASCAR never had any such chicane. Finally, the AMA has now gone and cut-off some of the run from Turn 10 to Turn 11 to increase run-off room, so now the AMA has a different configuration with only the Turn 1 chicane (but no "Turn 12" chicane).

Nevertheless, I think NASCAR was 7 to 12 seconds faster (although that's pointless).
TeamProBono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 04:35 PM   #20
wwalkersd
Founding Member

hondachop wrote:

It would be interesting to compare lap times for production-based bikes and cars - say, Superbikes vs. NASCAR or something.

NASCAR is no more production based than 500 GP (though I admit it's much lower tech), with the exception that the cars carry bodywork that somewhat resembles a production car. Every Winston Cup car uses a tube frame carrying a longitudinally mounted pushrod V-8 driving the rear wheels through a solid axle. All of the corresponding production cars use unibody (monocoque, no frame) construction, and most, if not all, use a transversely mounted V-6 driving the front wheels.

A series that uses actual production bodyshells would be a better comparison to SBK. Maybe the Speedvision GT series qualifies, I'm not sure.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote