Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > World Superbike

Old 04-24-2001, 11:32 AM   #1
jimngo
Founding Member

Default Re: Troy Corser on the storm-hit SBK round in Australia

There's no glycol in race bikes, exactly for the reason you state.

Rain happens. Corser should get over it, and get on his bike. Everybody must ride the same course, in the same conditions, so there isn't any advantage by the weather. In the end, it's still a test of skill. Perhaps more so in rainy, windy conditions because the advantage of factory-sponsored 175HP superbikes becomes diminished and the playing field levels out. Maybe that's what Corser, and some of the other factory riders are about: That they can't out-muscle the privateers. Whatsamatta? You afraid, Corser?

jimngo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2001, 11:53 AM   #2
basel1120
Founding Member

Riiiight..It's fairly unusual to see so much balderdash packed into a single post. Having watched the first race, I didn't relish the prospect of watching another display of water sports in which the bikes were barely visible through the storm.

I'm sure the factory riders were quaking in their boots that they'd be outridden by riders who can't get a factory ride. Not.

But the topper is questioning the courage of Corser and his colleagues. It's all very easy to do from the warm, dry, and stationary position of piloting a keyboard.
basel1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 12:26 PM   #3
BammBamm
Founding Member

I disagree. Rain is one thing, running water and mud, and standing water up to a foot deep at the edge of the track is another. This sport is dangerous enough under good conditions, but it the weather is bad enough to make the rain equipment negligable, postpone the race. This was not a normal rainy day.
BammBamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 12:39 PM   #4
static
Founding Member

If you would have seen race #1, you would realize how serious the weather was in that race. This wasn't a simple shower. There were sheets of water running down the track, and the wind was sending people all over the place. The announcers of the race were frankly suprised that the first race wasn't stopped.
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 12:55 PM   #5
scorpionicko
Founding Member

I agree with moving the event, it should be early in the year, i.e. March. I live in Melbourne (next to PI)and know that October and November are disaster months here. 5 years ago i raced at Philip Is the weekend after the world supers in a club round, the conditions were similiar to what you saw on the weekend. Unfortunately the weather in Melbourne is unpredictable and often extreme in comparison to the east coast i.e. Sydney. I would move the race back to eastern creek raceway.

As for Troy Corser i admire his stance as it is one thing to have rain and another to have sand/mud rivers flowing across the track and dark skies. PI has a history of forming mini rivers across the track due to the design of the grass banks on inclines. I once lost the rear end of my 250 production bike at 180 k's in one of the those streams in the middle of turn one - all i remember was the revving of the engine as per normal then this "sssssssippp" i saw the lord at that point.

finally it is clear that the world supers needs to develop some criteria to define whether a race should be run or not. riders should not be compromised as troy was.
scorpionicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 04:18 PM   #6
DialedIN
Founding Member

I Think saftey should always be first. They rain out baseball games here in the states all the time and yes there is TV and radio, etc. involved with them too. I have a hard time believing that even a non factory rider would want to take the chance at messing up his bike in weather like that. The factory riders just get handed a new one....

Not saying they are spoiled or anything....6 digit incomes and all the bikes they can trash in a year!!

Stay between the ditches Ya'll
DialedIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 04:22 PM   #7
thatguyjohn
Founding Member

I thought they didn't run glycol because it ate the pavenment up when it soaked in.
thatguyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 05:35 PM   #8
kenugly
Founding Member

I was there!!!! you would not believe the rain and the wind! basically no one would go out in weather like that unless it was life threatening. The crowd was wet the entire three days and the mud was so deep in some areas it was over your ankles just walking back to the stands. On the two corners in front of us (turns 1 and 2) the water was up to the marshalls knees! It was a good decision not to race even if it meant we missed a race. But wasn't that 600 race just one of the best races you have ever seen.I have seen it on TV since and the pictures did not do justice to kevin Curtain going around the outside full blast inbto turn 2. Just amazing. Give this man a permanent 600 ride (even if he is 36).
kenugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 05:37 PM   #9
kenugly
Founding Member

here here!
kenugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2001, 05:55 PM   #10
bevelheadv2
Founding Member

You obviously didn't see the state of the track.

Edwards said the only way he'd race is if it was on a jet-ski. Only a fool would race a Superbike through a flood , and if anyone did crash the ambulance would'nt have had a hope in hell of getting through the mud.
bevelheadv2 is offline   Reply With Quote