Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > World Superbike

Old 04-25-2001, 04:49 PM   #31
dgug
Founding Member

Default Re: Troy Corser on the storm-hit SBK round in Australia

I think that Troy did the right thing. Obviously the organisers were only concerned with providing a race, not considering the rider's safety. I was at the race, and it was unbelievable how bad the weather actually was. It was a surprise that they had any races at all on Sunday. The fact that they ran at all really highlighted the skill that these guys have. I agree with the comment made in an earlier post that said the team bosses should have represented their rider's interests. It's unfortunate that this didn't happen.
dgug is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2001, 05:54 PM   #32
kookyzoo
Founding Member

Funny thing. You have Troy C and Colin organising a no-show for race 2. Then Davide Tardozzi gets very excited and jumps around in Troy's face, same as he did to a race marshall a couple of years back when he wanted a race stopped! But Troy B was conspicuously absent in all that. I think he would have agreed with the riders, not his boss.
kookyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 06:30 PM   #33
spindizzy
Founding Member

Default Re: He IS some sort of "riders representative"

World SBK isn't run by the FIM, but by the Flammini Group. The riders have no current say in things and this just showed why they should.
spindizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 11:20 PM   #34
Rooster_
Founding Member

Funny how clever those that sit on their lounge chair watching from a warm dry house are?

I was at Phillip Island the whole weekend and agree with Troy Corser entirely. If he didn't speak out then who would?. When someone dies?

The wind was so bad the motocross demostration was cancelled. Go figure?

All the TV equipment went down several times throughout the weekend.

Turn 10 was completely underwater 10 minutes after they officially stopped the race. At times i had to hold the fence to stop myself from blowing over. By Saturday afternoon the entire spectator area along the front straight was turned into a mud bath, with many needing help to dig their bikes out, me included. It's not a pretty sight to see your new motorcycle buried up to it's axles in mud when it's time to go home.

To all that think they should have raced, you obviously have no idea...

Riding to and from the circuit was bad enough, i can't imagine what it would be like at 280klm an hour with a 40 knot head wind and three inches of water on the track.
Rooster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 02:26 AM   #35
RGV500
Founding Member

Did you see the condition of the race track? You must be joking.

Mud filled water inches deep covering the race track. Dirt bikes yes, race bikes no way, even with full wets.
RGV500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 04:18 AM   #36
hindle
Founding Member

I don't think I have ever seen a football game cancelled due to bad wheather and while there are dome teams in the NFL there are more teams without a dome then with.
hindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 12:43 PM   #37
Gixxerboy
Founding Member

Ok, I'll give you the fact that conditions were not suitable for a bike race however, nobody HAS to go 280KMH into a corner in the rain.

Let's face it, racing is a dangerous sport. If you don't want to, you don't have to ride fast... you just may not win... Or someone will take their CR250 and kick some butt.

Seriously, though, the weather was not appropriate for a motorcycle race but let's not argue safety.
Gixxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote