Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > World Superbike

Old 04-25-2001, 01:25 AM   #11
TitaniumCanoe
Founding Member

Default Re: Troy Corser on the storm-hit SBK round in Australia

First off, accusing Troy Corser of being afraid is childish and disgusting. That aside, while I enjoy seeing the skill required to ride a bike fast in the rain, the Phillips Island conditions were beyond reason for both fans and spectators. Organisers need to exercise good judgement both for rider safety and spectator enjoyment. According to your reasoning they should schedule races in Colorado and Minnesota in January. Now that would really test the bravery of all and level the playing field -- ice, snow, and below zero windchill.
TitaniumCanoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2001, 03:53 AM   #12
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

The thing that I don't get is why they couldn't just move the race a day. If it is soooo bloody expensive and soooo many people are depending on the race happening, then they can wait a freaking day.

Screw the organizers, I'm with Troy. As for the spectators, most of them would take the day off work to see the race and be happy they did because sitting in horrible weather for a sporting event is no fun.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 04:55 AM   #13
hindle
Founding Member

As an AM racer in CCS and WERA I know that you aren't allowed to use anything in you raditor containg glycol. Most use distilled water with approved additives (redline makes it among others) that help the water adhere to the cylinder walls for improved cooling.
hindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 06:39 AM   #14
RacinJason
Founding Member

It is a shame that no one is standing up for the riders. Where the hell where the Team Managers? I can't believe that the team managers would allow their riders to go out? By the way, Tardozzi seemed to be in ususal form...

Don't make Corser out to be the bad guy, I truly think that he did the right thing. Well, I guess this will spark interest and there will probably be some standard procedures appear soon.
RacinJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 07:15 AM   #15
jimngo
Founding Member

OK, OK. First off, the Corser comment was a joke. Second: No, I haven't seen the first race. I have it taped off Speedvision, but I haven't had a chance to replay it yet. If the conditions were that bad, then cancel it. What I hate to see is something like what happened at the Sears Point AMA Superbike last year, where they made the crowd sit around all day then cancel the race because of a few measly sprinkles.

I did catch the last 5 seconds of the broadcast of what I thought was the second race. I saw Bostrom riding a victory lap and thought "good for Ben!" until I noticed that there weren't any logos on his leathers or bike, just like Kyalami. Then I thought, "wait a second...that IS Kyalami!"

So there's my mea culpa. Ya happy now?
jimngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 07:18 AM   #16
jimngo
Founding Member

Off Topic: Why would rain affect the safety of a baseball game? I think the team owners love to postpone games so they can force the fans to come back again and buy more hotdogs and beers.
jimngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 07:50 AM   #17
stevegrab
Founding Member

Actually Ben raced at Philip Island with the same lack of L&M logo on his bike. That may have been the Kyalami race you saw on Speedvisoin, but don't assume that just because they weren't running the tobacco sponsorship.

If you didn't see the race and have some idea how bad the weather was, why are you commenting on it. I can see you point a little, all the riders have to ride the same conditions. It seemed like Corser decided he was the boss, and was trying to go tell the organizers and race controllers what to do. That was wrong, unless he is some sort of rider's representative. But to say the factory riders were afraid of the privateers, yeah right. Those guys were being lapped more often than normal, especially by the 3 riders at the front.
stevegrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 07:54 AM   #18
stevegrab
Founding Member

Don't know if the FIM has any provision for postponing a race to the next day. But in this case, it still probably would not have been done. The next round of the series is in Japan this weekend, so they have a short week to pack up, and get their transporters to Sugo, to start setting up for racing again on Thursday or Friday.
Old 04-25-2001, 08:05 AM   #19
stevegrab
Founding Member

Does anybody know, when they're talking about the organizers deciding whether to cancel the race, are these the event promoters? Or are they talking about FIM officials, race marshalls, etc?

If it is the promoters making the decision, that is the first problem. The decision to start/stop a race should rest with the people charged with running the race, and dealing with rules. The promoter will always want the race to be run, because they are afraid of not producing the product they promised the fans (then fans want money back etc.) The race officials should be asking the riders for their input.

But, no single rider (unless he is elected to speak for them) should go and try to tell them (people deciding) to cancel the race. That never looks good. That person then is considered to be a whiner, or too scared to race. As somebody else stated, "where were the team managers" Good question, if anybody is going to talk to the powers that be, it should be team managers, not the competitors.

I'm in no way saying that race 2 should have been held. In fact I agree with Troy that race 1 should probably not have been run either. But it was a decent compromise, one race was run, the fans got something, nobody was seriously injured or anything. And the fact that Edwards ran so hard and outpaced the pack indicates the conditions were not really that bad. Or else he is more crazy than I thought.

The FIM needs to get their head out of their collective a$$es and set up some procedures for handling these things. Waiting until it happens, then trying to decide in a pressure cooker situation, never has good results.
Old 04-25-2001, 08:24 AM   #20
tomaz
Founding Member

Bravo1 Be strong, It was realy bed wether and emposible to race. Fortunatly you are still alive

and we well see you in next race. I am looking forward.

Tomaz, Slovenia
tomaz is offline   Reply With Quote