Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > World Superbike

Old 03-11-2001, 04:36 PM   #1
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Too bad for Bostrom

First post, yeah baby. They were good races to watch. Looks like Edwards ain't winning much this year, and though Bostrom DNFed the Second race, he looked good in race one.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2001, 05:06 PM   #2
apostate
Founding Member

Default Go Aprilia

Looks like after all of the hype with the new Ducs and speculation on how great the Hondas would be Aprilia had a statement to make. It nice to see a such a great bike suceed. Congrats to Kawasaki as well. Between WSB and Daytona the look to be a lot more competitive than they have been the past year or so.
apostate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 05:30 PM   #3
RRocket
Founding Member

Default Re: Valencia Race Two

Yeah, Bostrom looked good in race one, but to bad he PUNKED OUT in race 2. He has no heart. After he got his 2nd penalty, he didn't even bother to go back out. What does that say? Surely he would not have won, but still...go out and ride. Some will say "Why risk life and limb?"...I say go out, don't ride over your head, and give your sponsors some exposure and television coverage, if possible. But he QUIT. Bostrom's podium finish means nothing! Look at Edward's mediocre 2 races, and look where he is...several points ahead of Bostrom. That's why Edwards is champ..he's consistent, and he has heart....
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 05:44 PM   #4
AdamMille-R
Founding Member

That's a tad harsh. When Bostrom got black-flagged the second time he thought it was for mechanical trouble so he went back to his pit garage and shut off his engine. When he realized what it really was(riding too fast in pit lane during the first black flag), it was too late. If he had gone out at that point he would have been two laps down and zero chance of gaining any points. Yes he could have gone out and given some exposure to his sponsors but the risk of crashing without hope of gaining points is too risky for the team. He's still in the top ten and it's a long season.
AdamMille-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 06:21 PM   #5
blademan
Founding Member

Yes, Corser owned this track but we all knew this prior to the race. Lap times and the Superpole. This is definitely not Edwards's track. He suffered from setup problems anyway. Good start for Aprilia and the Ducks but its just the first stop on the tour.
blademan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 06:59 PM   #6
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Hmmmm.....did anyone else hear Fogarty praising Bostrom during his race commentary? I guess all those schleps who were dissing Ben last year are going to have a long 2001. It is unfortunate that things went so badl for him in Race 2. Still, he will be a force to be reckoned with.

As for Colin and Honda, apparently, they had some real problems this weekend. Say what you want about Collin, but to finish 20 seconds behind is simply not normal for the guy. Kyalami should be better.

As for Troy and Aprillia, wow. Too bad he was too slow for Ducati to keep him on two years ago. Great ride by a great rider on a great machine.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 07:55 PM   #7
mge
Founding Member

He had to battle the traffic in race 1... Go Aus..
mge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2001, 08:39 PM   #8
badsac
Founding Member

Default WTF is going on with Suzuki?

On the same day that Suzuki is winning Daytona in Mladins hands, the two suzukis in WSB are running around mid field. Sure Chilli had an injury, but it's situations exactly like this that they need another top notch rider to partner him.

Chambon has no place in WSB. Sure he is a fair rider, but there are other riders who are better. The fella who won Daytona for instance. Mladin is the best 4 stroke racer Suzuki has got. So why in God's name do they not have him in the premier 4-stroke series. Yeah, I know he is contracted to Yoshimura, but that didn't stop Ducati from taking Bayliss from the AMA series last year.

Suzuki must not be committed to WSB. That's the only reason I can see that they are making the decisions they are. I'm sure when Suzuki have their 4-stroke GP bike, they'll have Mladin running it in GP's.

I really hoped Suzuki would do well in the WSB this year, but it appear they wont. Which is a bit of a bitter pill for Suzuki followers to swallow. Especially when they know they could do a hell of a lot better.

badsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 05:13 AM   #9
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: WTF is going on with Suzuki?

I don't think it is the rider's fault. Chili is a helluva rider, but he can't put the Gixx on the top box. I think that in WSB, the machine just can't quite compete. The dollar signs are bigger and the twins are just tough to fight there. In the AMA world, the dollars are somewhat smaller and the bikes are more equalized.

Besides, Matt is selling a helluva lot of Gixxers here in the states.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 06:28 AM   #10
elitegroup
Founding Member

Lots of good comments here about WSB, AMA and racing in general. I did a quick read and this is my replay to all post in one long-shot. I agree with the guy who said Bostrom "Punked Out" because at the time I heard about it on the TV thats what it sounded like he did. Practice is practice go and and ride the bike BEN!! Suzuki not being a factor in WSB, but kicking arse in AMA? I have no clue and can't say much about it, but maybe suzuki is selling here it the states and they are happy with that? Aprilia? all I can say is Congrats...to Corser and the team, but I'm still voting for Edwards to repeat. Bayliss and Lavilla showed huge improvements and I was very impressed with both of them. Final words about Bostrom.... I hope he does well, but from what happened in race 2 it just seems he still has a little temper tantrum problem to deal with.
elitegroup is offline   Reply With Quote