Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > World Superbike

Old 05-08-2006, 01:31 PM   #11
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Gonadal circumference...

BIG CANTALOUPES. Huevos. Hydrophobia.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2006, 01:38 PM   #12
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: Bayliss Sets New Lap Record at Monza.

hmm maybe it is tires? AMA ducatis ride Michelin while everybody else is on Dunlop, hmmmm...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:42 PM   #13
giuliom
Registered Member

BTW, has anyone seen the F1 "race" this past weekend. I did not, but the commentary was that after Alonso and Schumacher went 1-2 for most of the race, just 1.2 seconds apart, but with Schumacher "putting pressure" on Alonso, Schumacher went ahead because he was able to do the right pit stop strategy, and once ahead he kept there. (Snore, wake me when it's over...). The superbike races at Monza had more passing and excitement in five minutes (Barros in the first race at the end, e.g.) than three seasons of F1. I still think that a top notch superbike series here (i.e. something other than factory Suzuki and the rest) will get audiences. How could it not?? It's just about the most exciting sport right now.
giuliom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:05 PM   #14
tomk2
Founding Member

Troy Corsers comments... "The Ducati can accelerate out of the turns like no other bike - especially the four cylinder ones and their traction control allows Bayliss to get on the gas hard when the bike is still leant over."

tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:25 PM   #15
johnnyb
Founding Member

so why can't hodgson and ben bostrom run with mladin and spies and jake zemke then?
Old 05-08-2006, 02:47 PM   #16
orcyclist
Founding Member

It probably has to do with Ducati and their trickle down form MotoGP. Marelli has great electronics. Suzuki certaily doesn't seem to have the same success in MotoGP. So, if Superbike is a trickle down technology series, Ducati is way ahead of Suzuki, based upon MotoGP results.

Both Ducati and Suzuki use Bridgestone in MotoGP and both use Pirelli In WSBK, so tires don't seem to be the difference. Bayliss has had a TON of experience on the Duc so he knows how to ride it fast. That has to help.

Old 05-08-2006, 02:52 PM   #17
ksquid
Banned

Do they have traction control? I thought WSB allows traction control and AMA doesn't ...I could be wrong (usually am)
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:54 PM   #18
ksquid
Banned

So is Marelli the traction control system? Is that system legal for AMA.. If so why are Hodgson and Bostrom doing so bad?
Old 05-08-2006, 03:04 PM   #19
johnnyb
Founding Member

Suzuki probly uses something like MOTEC, some idiot did a story about Attak Racing FX GSXR1000 a few years ago on this site. With modern EFI, "traction control" can be programmed into the ECU and work great without being like an active system. Programmable EFI i think is the main thing that's allowed big I4s to be as tractable as twins.

which still doesn't explain why WSB ducatis are so much faster than ama ones. Probly ducati henchmen at Monza made corser et al an offer they couldn't refuse...
Old 05-08-2006, 03:06 PM   #20
ksquid
Banned

Default Re: Is it the tires?

You may be on to something there Buz.. One of the commentators said the big difference with Pirellis was they were more consistent throughout the race . He also said before the one brand rule the Michelens and Dunlops would be better than the Pirellis at first then tail off at the end badly.