Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > World Superbike

Old 04-23-2006, 11:50 PM   #51
saaz
Registered Member

Default Re: Ksquid's ''...long, painful death of the V-Twin sportbike.'' Continues...

Or perhaps it is just that the bikes are race bikes with race riders on race tracks! Not necessary relevant for road use really. Good for bench racers to argue endlessly about.
saaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2006, 04:59 AM   #52
bbtowns
Founding Member

Default Re: Ksquid's ''...long, painful death of the V-Twin sportbike.'' Continues...

The Concours makes everything obsolete!
Old 04-24-2006, 05:21 AM   #53
lwatcdr
Founding Member

Default Maybe in raceing but not on the street.

One trend that I really hate is this tieing of racebikes to street bikes.

The best bike on the track is almost never the best bike on the street. Think about the 600 class. To win races you need to make the most horse power you can. To do that with a fixed engine size you have two choices. Spin it really fast or forced induction. Since forced induction is not allowed you really only have on choice. Okay fine for a race track but on the street you end up with the new R6 which has a power curve like an old two-stroke. The motorcycle magizines don't help much. Look at MO's story on 600s. They ask is the new Triumph is "cheating". If you are not racing in a class who cares what the displacement of the bike is? For street bikes wouldn't it be more logical ot compair bikes based on cost?

If somebody came out with a 750 or 800 twin that weighed about 360 lbs, made around 120hp, and cost under 9,000 what would you compair it to? Why not put it in with the 600 street bikes?

My other question is simply if someone made such a bike who here wouldn't want to trade in there 600 for a bike that handled as well, made as much power, and had a much better power curve?

lwatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:31 AM   #54
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: Maybe in raceing but not on the street.

Exactly. Twins and Triples are awesome for the street. Fours are not, and I own one.

My next bike is a sporty Twin or a Triumph 675.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:31 AM   #55
ValkBandit
Registered Member

i watched the WSB race this weekend ... it was AMAZING to watch corser suck the headlight out of bayliss' duck, lap after lap, on the long straightaway, only to have bayliss catch back up in the tighter sections of the course, eventually passing him.

either bayliss is a heckuva rider or the duck is a LOT gentler on tires, allowing him to make up ground in the race's late stages. i'd guess a combo of the two.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:32 AM   #56
schizuki
Founding Member

Actually, it was the point of this thread. I was being ironic.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:45 AM   #57
ksquid
Banned

2 victories don't make a trend.. But discontinuing racing of the RC51, Suzuki TL1000, and Aprilia Millie V-Twin do...
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:49 AM   #58
ksquid
Banned

Default Schizuki is muddling the issue. Aprilia moving to V-4 is the key

Aprilia's Leo Mercanti now says the new V-4 is on the way for 2007 and the "V" configuration will be the signature Aprilia engine type Aprilia no longer races a V-Twin. The RC51 is not raced... If you watched the AMA superbike races yesterday. You saw the inlines whip past the two Ducatis..
ksquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:54 AM   #59
mheyer
Founding Member

Actually the real reason twins make for a better street bike is their access to power at lower rpms. You don't have to keep the bike screaming in order to stay on the power (this has the added benefit of sounding a lot more normal instead of cops hearing that you have the bike WFO from a mile away. Plus, when you get behind cars or in traffic, you don't have to drop two or three gears to kick into the power.

This is why twins (and triples) are far better street bikes. Street riding and track riding are not the same. On the track you are keeping the bike screaming in the upper rpm, and max hp is important.
mheyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:12 AM   #60
mitctho
Registered Member

Just a few "dead enders" remain. This is NOT an insurgency!
mitctho is offline   Reply With Quote