Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > World Superbike

Old 04-23-2006, 11:01 AM   #11
cgarrison2k6
Founding Member

Default Re: AMA level playing field V-Twins are falling way behind

V-Twins are not dying. 1000cc V-Twins competing against 1000cc I-4s may be disappearing. Ducati uses a V-4 in MotoGP because the weight advantages given to a twin are not enough to overcome the lack of power and the amount of money required to overcome the power difference.

This equal displacement stuff seems a bit ridiculous to me, unless everyone wants to see the market comprised of only 4 cylinder street bikes. Separating the classes by number of cylinders doesn't do much for anyone, other than give the Japanese all the premiere classes, while leaving Ducati to its own class.

In order to really figure this thing out, and make it fair, one needs to sit back for a moment and consider what the purpose of the racing classes are. If Ducati and KTM (and any other manufacturer who chooses to develop a twin or triple) are given a small displacement advantage to afford them the opportunity to make similar power as the I-4s at a comparable cost, what is unfair? If they are making equal power at equal weight, haven't the rules created parity?

Would you rather see no V-Twins or triples so that everyone has the same displacement or would you rather see similar power and weight? I would rather see the latter.
cgarrison2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2006, 11:05 AM   #12
emiles
Registered Member

Default Re: Ksquid's ''...long, painful death of the V-Twin sportbike.'' Continues...

"That's why so many experienced riders (as oppsed to one bike / low miles Japanese race replica owners) think twins make for a better street bike."

Actually the real reason twins make for a better street bike is that they sound so much better than inline 4s

George W. Bush
emiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:30 AM   #13
pdad13
Founding Member

Bingo.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:32 AM   #14
tomk2
Founding Member

Default Re: Ksquid's ''...long, painful death of the V-Twin sportbike.'' Continues...

Ducati's winning races like this... is just a sign of the desperation of these enemies of four cylinder freedom and remnants of the former regime.
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:44 AM   #15
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Let's all just appreciate the fact that none of us are married to him.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:52 AM   #16
schizuki
Founding Member

"In AMA where the rules are even...kpaul's thesis holds true."

Your thesis is a "long, slow death of the V-Twin sportbike", evidence of which you originally presented with Aprilia's announcement of a V-Four bike (with no concurrent announcement of the cessation of production of V-Twins.)

As there are currently more sporting V-Twin models being produced than there were fifteen years ago, and as many people consider V-Twins an ideal platform for sporty street riding due to their torquey power characteristics, and as the sole "evidence" for your "death of the V-Twin sportbike" statement is the dual non-sequiturs of (A) the forthcoming production by Aprilia of a bike that does not happen to be a V-Twin, and (B) racing results of one particular series which can be easily countered with racing results of another particular series, I'd say your thesis has as much factual support and internal consistency as the average Michael Moore "documentary."

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:55 AM   #17
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Of course KP has been predicting the death of the V twin now for about ten years. I suppose if he sticks with it long enough he might be right 30 years from now.

It's like the seismologist who just predicted a 50/50 chance of a 7 or greater magnitude earthquake in the next 25 years.

Such bold predictions!
Old 04-23-2006, 12:05 PM   #18
zarn02
Founding Member

can we get some V, or inline six cylinders, so i can begin to predict the demise of I4's?

i'm just saying that i need a hobby...
zarn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:28 PM   #19
bigjames
Premium Member

Gee, I guess that is why almost everybody but BMW (and they thought about it) makes a vtwin, when most of them had none and no plans to build any 20 years ago.
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:29 PM   #20
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Fontana

Any MoFOs plan to go to Cali Speedway next weekend?

I think I'm taking the boy on Saturday so I can see the FX race to see how the Buells do.