Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > World Superbike

Old 01-26-2001, 02:59 PM   #1
bimota
Founding Member

Default Re: EA Sports SBK 2001

Will the Bimota last more than five races?
bimota is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2001, 04:29 PM   #2
RRocket
Founding Member

I have the 2000 version. I hope they made the new version more realistic. In the 2000 version it had Bostrom always near the front of the pack.......
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 06:54 PM   #3
Haga
Founding Member

I personally have all 3 versions of this game(the only way I can afford the latest and greatest) and this is by far the best. Not only is Ben Bostrom no longer a deity(in the Y2K version he ran neck and neck with Foggy every race), but Eric Bostrom is gone, which frees up another top 10 spot that would normally be up for grabs in WSBK. My only complaint is that they have Borja, and even Simon Crafar but no Troy Bayliss.
Haga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 07:52 PM   #4
Tomslick
Registered Member

This is a great racing game. The learning curve is pretty steep. The graphics get better with each release. The frame rate is pretty good on my slow computer. I've yet to find a good method of controlling the throttle and brake. Tapping the joystick button (tapping the gas) going through a corner is about the best I've found. One minor problem with the latest version is with the telemetry during practice. I've yet to find a way to compare one lap to another. You could do this in the first release. This makes the telemetry kind of worthless. It's funny that your bike receives more damage bumping into another rider compared to hitting a concrete wall and flipping the bike 20 times. Bottom line: This is the best simulation/racing game for the PC.
Tomslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 08:55 PM   #5
Piccolo
Founding Member

Personally, I love the game and have gotten quite good at it with alot of practice. I use a Gravis Xterminator game pad, it has an analog directional stick, plus two analog buttons that I use for gas and brake. You also might want to check out Ducati's website. They have a controller for motorcycle games. It looks like a set of clip-ons complete with brake lever and twist grip throttle. Check it out... http://www.ducati.com/shop/Product.j....5_A &_DAV=-1

Hope this helps,
Piccolo
Piccolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2001, 10:24 PM   #6
Gabe
Registered Member

I have the '97 version which a friend gave me for X-mas. (he's not cheap, he gave me something else too!) My computer is pretty slow- only 32 megs of RAM, and a cheap-o microprocessor, so I don't know how well the 2001 version will work.

I love this game, though! It's as close to racing as you can get, and is very tough to learn. But it really is an excacting simulation, and is great fun.

I race in Northern California, and I wish there was a program with Sears Point, Thunderhill, and Buttonwillow, but that will never happen. But if I ever have a bike quiet enough to ride a Laguna, I will spend a lot of time learning the Laguna simulation. It's really that good.

I'd love to see a "bike simulator" program based on SBK 2001- you can ride any bike built, from 1901- 2001, or design your own. How would a EX250 with a KX500 motor do at Road Atlanta? How much faster would my laptimes at Sears be if I ran BT-58's? I want a 200 pound, 75 horsepower thumper at Daytona! (in a simulation, of course)

You could update the program every season with new track info- how much more compression damping will I need now that turn 7 has been repaved? I see now limit to the possibilities.

It wouldn't substitute for actually riding, but you could get an idea for what would or wouldn't work at certain tracks. It would really help with gearing, I think.

So how about it? It seems like it would be cheaper to produce than "Flight Simulator", and appeal to a larger audience, especially if it was an add-on to some kind of frigging NASCAR crap.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2001, 02:00 AM   #7
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Better links

Tried your link, had to find it myself, for anyone looking the actual link for the picture is:

http://www.ducati.com/images/shop/dbimages/179.gif

The link to buy it:

http://www.ducati.com/shop/Category....ID=6¤tCATID=2

Hope this helps anybody looking to buy it (about $60 before shipping and handling, and you have to register on Ducati's site)
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2001, 04:30 AM   #8
Blueyzfr6
Founding Member

Default joystick/ideas to make it better

Ducati Course has a handlebar joystick for $60... I don't know how good it is. To make it better they should have an unlimited straightaway for wheelies/topend, They should also be able to do stoppies. Also come out with a "Starboyz/ Las Vegas Extreme edition".
Blueyzfr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2001, 06:47 AM   #9
jng
Founding Member

I've had every series of this game, and I tell you - IT IS THE NEXT BEST THING TO A TRACK DAY (and I've had my fair share of track time). Of course you don't get the wind, g-forces and the REALITY of real riding, but if you want to practice hand-eye coordination and learn the correct cornering line on the actual WSB tracks - which I understand were mapped using GPS and account for actual elevation changes - this is a fantastic game. The developers did a fantastic job of calibrating the game and on FULL-REALISM, you can actually get to learn the nuances they programmed into different bikes - such as Ducati's slow turning and the Kaw's general stability. The only let down is that didn't use real engine samples and it can be a bit digital - although the R7 and GSX-R do have a nice inline-4 wail.

Truly the best controller is the dual-analog joystick gamepad, with one stick set to gas/brake and the other set to left right. Use the other buttons to control popping up out of the bubble and the other for a race crouch. I currently use a standard gameport with InterAct's Hammerhead FX, but there is a new dual-analog joystick with USB from Logitech. The InterAct is good enough and USB peripherals can actually slow down gameplay on some machines. You can search their website for retailers that carry them, last I checked they were blowing them out for less than $20 - http://www.interact-acc.com/
jng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2001, 01:27 PM   #10
Techtoth
Founding Member

Default Re: joystick/ideas to make it better

Have you ever tried 2 use it and then hop on your bike?

U'r gonna smash in the blink of an eye...

Stick to the keyboard or a normal wheel.

Techtoth is offline   Reply With Quote