Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > World Superbike

Old 06-16-2003, 05:27 AM   #1
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Big Deal Ducati wins another Ducati Cup race

This series WSB is so pathetic. A restrictor plate handicapped GSXR1000 against all of those Ducatis.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-16-2003, 05:45 AM   #2
Dynaguy
Founding Member

Default Re: Silverstone SBK Results

Well, rules are rules and none of the other factories want to play right now. Even here in the U.S., the factories have cut back their involvement pretty dramatically. Superbike as it exists now probably needs to be abandoned in favor of a more "street oriented" class, much like 600 Supersport. That would reduce the cost of factory involvment and maybe lure them back. One can only hope....
Dynaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 06:08 AM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Yeah it's Terrible

83,000 fans screaming their heads off for a series that you say sucks. Another record setting crowd to watch a "pathetic" race. How horrible! Here, we have that wonderfully entertaining AMA series that gets 200 people a race, if you include the racer's families, corner workers and anyone that drives by the main entrance. I'm sure your hero Mladin would rather ride here, with 50 of his most rabid fans cheering him on, than 83,000, right? I can see the SBK series is really hurting over there! Right again as always!
Old 06-16-2003, 06:09 AM   #4
Grover
Founding Member

Default EMAIL SPEEDTV

I'm posting this again here because it's obvious no one really cares about WSB...

Speed TV plans on showing both WSB races AND the world supersport race during tomorrows prime-time time slots (7, 8, and 9 o'clock or so, respectively). The historic MotoGP raced that is all the rave a couple articles down, is stuck at 2:00 in the afternoon. How effing stupid is that.

At the very least, the world supersport race should be switched with MotoGP. Ideally, they'd split the WSB races with the MotoGP race in an effort to increase the number of people that just happen to watch the WSB races b/c all anyone really cares about is MotoGP anyway.

Email them, please, I can't do it alone.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 08:18 AM   #5
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Yeah it's Terrible

MotoGP outdrew.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:19 AM   #6
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Excellent idea

Excellent idea. The MotoGP race was great but I taped it, cause my wife loves to interupt me when I am watching them live.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:53 AM   #7
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Big Deal Ducati wins another Ducati Cup race

I totally agree that restrictor plates are a stupid idea, but note that the Lavilla's restrictor plated Suzuki is doing at least as well in WSB as are the non-restricted Suzukis in BSB (Reynolds and Kagayama).

BTW, even with the 32.5 mm restrictors for WSB, the Rizla Suzuki team were able to nearly match the peak hp of their UNRESTRICTED BSB version See Crash.net Article

An earlier report I had read indicated that the Rizla Suzuki team had found that the restricted version gave up about 2 hp at the peak, but had stronger midrange. Given the fact that they they developed their version for only this single race, I bet that the Alstaire Corona entry, which has had much more development time, is probably producing as much power as the unrestricted version.

Several weeks ago, John Reynolds was quoted in Crash.net as saying that he could not tell the difference between the restricted and unrestricted bikes.

All of which reinforces the view that the restrictors are bullsh!t -- they don't really serve any function of "slowing" the bikes but did serve to chase off Honda and Yamaha from competing, and have undermined interest in the series -- talk about a "lose-lose" proposition!

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 11:54 AM   #8
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Yeah it's Terrible

And your point is? Of course MotoGP should outdraw WSB. Just like the Yankees usually will outdraw a triple A league game. Plus, Spain and Italy always pull in huge numbers at motorcycle races.

A more meaningful comparison would be with prior years -- last year you had factory teams from Ducati, Honda, Aprilia, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Benelli, and a real battle between Bayliss and Edwards for the title. This year, the top stars are all gone (Colin, Troy and Nori to MotoGP and Ben Bostrom to AMA) and Hodgson has won virtually everything in sight and they still pulled in record numbers of fans. Yeah, the racing must really suck!

Cheers

Bob
Old 06-16-2003, 11:58 AM   #9
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Excellent idea

Hi KPaul

What kinda cable or satellite service do you subscribe to in order to get MotoGP live? SpeedTV only shows it tape delayed. Only way I know of to get it live here in the US is the on-line feed from Dorna (MotoGP.com).

Cheers

Bob
Old 06-16-2003, 12:22 PM   #10
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Ducati Cup, as opposed to AMA Suzuki Cup

>>WSB is so pathetic<<

Lets see, the fastest lap was set by Lavilla, who also took second in one race and crashed out of the other while challenging for the lead. Plus, you have a couple of Suzuki wild card riders who manage to lead as well. And you have Kawasakis, Yamahas and Protons also contesting the event. Pathetic!

By contrast, in AMA SuperBike events, you have a field of more than 30 Suzukis, broken up by what, 3 Hondas, 2 Ducatis and a lone Kawasaki? In comparison, WSB has the kind of diversity that would make a Rainbow Coalition wet dream.

Yeah, it is really effin' pathetic!

(BTW, have you actually watched any of the WSB races this year?)

Bob