Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > World Superbike

Old 05-21-2003, 04:38 PM   #1
pnerenberg
Registered Member

Default Re: FIM Suggests Rule Change Needed

It's about time...as much as I love the V-twins (I have an SV650), this past weekend's race proved to me that it's time for the restrictors to go. So the GSX-R is going to have an "unfair advantage" over everyone - the RC51 (VTR1000 SP2) seemed to have its perks for a good while. As one poster recently suggested, it might even force Ducati into creating a V-4 streetbike and Aprilia into releasing a triple for the masses. Those are two sounds I wouldn't mind hearing on the road every once in a while.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm all for some rule changes. As a result, I give the following advice: Honda, beef up your 954RR. Yamaha, get that R1's motor up to snuff (well, relatively speaking). Kawasaki, stop putzing around and give EBos a bike that he can ride the balls off of...I got love for the old 7R, but I'd have more love for either (a) a ZX-9R that has some game or (b) a ZX-10R...and for Christ's sake, get fuel injection on all your bikes. And Ducati, don't turn into some whiny bi***es - if you can pull off what you have done in MotoGP, then this shouldn't be a problem.

So if WSBK ditches the restrictors, is this the end of the V-twin? Hell no, there'll always be Harleys...just kidding. The V-twin is always going to have a place on the street, and my guess is that we have not seen the last of it on the track either.

Until I can afford more, I'll live with my 10.5k redline and two chugging cylinders (and eat my cake too). Viva la resistance! Riiight...
pnerenberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2003, 05:43 PM   #2
Grappelli
Registered Member

Here's the issue: If you make litre 4's the standard and not restrict them, then shortly these engines will be producing Grand Prix levels of horse power. And this will HAVE to be in the street versions as well to meet the rules. So we will be talking about 200+ bhp bikes.

Now I think there are people who can handle this and others who can be taught.. BUT:

It will force legislative changes if 200bhp bikes become freely avaliable to the public, especially in places like california, where the bike test comprises of riding in a circle. There is no way that this prepares people for 120bhp bikes, let alone 200bhp bikes. And make no mistake. People will pass their test, walk to the dealer and buy these like many already do with R1's.

So how do we stop the politicians interfering o prevent these bikes? Multi level bike tests? BHP restrictions? What?

Discuss.
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 06:15 PM   #3
brickl
Founding Member

I'm all for a tiered license structure. But I can guess who'll be most concerned about such a wise development - HD. Do you think your 50 year old dentist will want to haul his porky, pink wife around for 2 years on the back of a Honda Rebel in order to qualify for his Road King? He'd probably stick to the Sea-Ray or the Winnebago.
brickl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 06:28 PM   #4
12er
Founding Member

No no no no no, what kind of crazyness is this? They need to hire a bunch of physics professors and figure out a handicaping system to where even your beloved SV can compete fairly.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 06:30 PM   #5
drthompson65
Founding Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Formula Extreme unrestricted? If you check the lap times of the Formual Extreme bikes aren't they around the same as Super Bike?
2004 Ducati 999 Mono Yellow (Wrecked May 06)
2006 Ducati 999S Mono Black (Replaced Wife June 06)

1972-2000 A collection of mini, dirt, and road bikes to vast too list..
drthompson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 06:35 PM   #6
12er
Founding Member

Come on Boost King!!!

"What the hell is... zooooommm... > Uh... was that?"
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 01:21 AM   #7
josxr
Founding Member

AMA Superbike is unrestricted, WSBK is restricted. There are riders contesting AMA SBK on FX machines, but they are not as fast as the factory superbikes.
josxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 04:56 AM   #8
bwarbiany23
Founding Member

I'm all for WSB removing the restrictors...

The simple fact is that it's obvious watching the races that the new 999 is a good 5-10 hp over the rest of the field. While Lavilla on the GSXR can fight pretty well with the 998's on the field, there's not much chance of him taking a championship without the ability to hang with Hodgson on the straights...

I also want to see the AMA reduce the weight limit for the 750-800 cc I-4's... They're way down on HP compared to the liter twins and liter fours, and they should get their old maximum weight back. While I think E-Boz should join the new milllenium and ride a liter bike, I think if he had his 15 lbs weight advantage back, it would be a much better series...
bwarbiany23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 05:24 AM   #9
pnerenberg
Registered Member

I highly doubt the streetbike versions will be making 200 bhp any time soon...the reliability would be questionable and all the other inconveniences of a race bike engine come into play. The rules in both series allow some level of modifications to the engines...the "Best of the Best" feature on MO has a pretty good bit about what are the trick parts on a Team Yoshimura GSX-R1000 vs. your street version. Granted, even in its street version, the GSX-R1000 is a beast, and we might need to have a tiered license system. That idea, by the way, is something we might want to pursue with cars - how is your average lawyer equipped to drive a 493 hp MB SL55 or 582 hp Lambo? While there is no doubt driving 4 wheels on the street is a bit easier, make no mistake, those are formidable amounts of power to have in any car...is the average driver (in terms of skill, not money) really trained to handle those types of cars properly?

If people weren't as stingy with money and realized that they enjoyed amazing fuel prices and low insurance rates, I would say make them pay extra for mandatory time at California Superbike School or Pridmore's STAR School - and make exotic car buyers take at least a day-long Skip Barber course. This is, of course, in my ideal world where I was the reigning MotoGP champion and Rossi was furiously trying to take me down. But all improbability aside, there is no way that more education could hurt riders/drivers, especially when dealing with such powerful machines on 2 and 4 wheels.
pnerenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 05:37 AM   #10
rsheidler
Founding Member

Last year, the FX times were generally significantly SLOWER than superbikes. This year, the main reason why they are similar is that Ben Spies' FX bike is in fact identical to Mladin's and Yates' SuperBikes.

Cheers

Bob
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote