Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > World Superbike

Old 09-30-2002, 06:26 PM   #31
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Superbike and Supersport Imola Results

Look honey, there goin' left again...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2002, 06:28 PM   #32
joeb1113
Founding Member

Default You could have seen racing like that in NASCAR or F1!

Yeah, and monkeys might fly out of my butt!

No conveniently timed "debris on the track," no "team orders," just two true champions slugging it out, toe to toe, all the way through the last lap of the season! (And I don't believe for a *second* that by that point Edwards had any worries about Xaus at all - he just wanted to stand on top of the last podium of the year!)

Awesome racing, can't wait 'til next year!
joeb1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 08:56 PM   #33
DucButt
Founding Member

When my new girlfriend wanted to see what my superbike fanaticism was all about, I couldn't have asked for a better race! All her friends thought she was in for a boring time (think NASCAR, billy-bob), but I think she's hooked now...

Edwards, MotoGP champion for Ducati in 2004! It's not my style to be pessimistic, but I hope Nicky doesn't meet the same humility that ANY of M. Schumacher's teammates know all too well. Next year surely won't be the Rossi-fest of this year, but I would not want my first season in MotoGP measured directly against Rossi's.
DucButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 09:15 PM   #34
Benji_2
Founding Member

I just saw the races at Imola and I have to say, I think these are the two best races I have ever seen in any series!!!! Incredible!!! You know, watching Bayliss throughout the season, he always seems to be so smooth. At Imola, I saw him getting out of sorts more than I think I've ever seen him. I just couldn't believe in the second race how close Xaus was keeping. I was on the edge of my seat, I thought that maybe Bayliss could pull it off. It's amazing to see two riders run so close together throughout whole races, pass each other back and forth and not crash. If it was Hodgson and Haga up front like that I would be waiting for lightning to strike (of course with Haga around, and I do like Haga, that is always a great possiblity). I just have the upmost respect for Edwards and Bayliss. Both guys are so sportsman like and what it truly amazing is that both absolutely refuse to give in or give up. Mentally, these guys are win, win, win. Fantastic racing, I feel sorry for people who aren't into bikes, they just have no idea.

Benji_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 06:00 AM   #35
rsheidler
Founding Member

>>Both guys are so sportsman like and what it truly amazing is that both absolutely refuse to give in or give up. Mentally, these guys are win, win, win. <<

That is exactly the combination that makes these guys (and a few others I can think of -- Rossi, any of the Bostroms or Haydens, for example) great. That combination of unfettered competetive spirit on the track, and perfect sportsmanship both on and off the track.

If you were a team manager, or a major sponsor, one of these guys would be exactly what you want -- they will do their absolute best to try win (even when they don't need to to take the championship) and you will never be ashamed to see them on TV wearing your logos, unlike some others I can think of.

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 06:08 AM   #36
rsheidler
Founding Member

>>I would not want my first season in MotoGP measured directly against Rossi's.<<

I was also making the connection to Schumacher. I wish Nicky the best, but I can't help but think that Nicky would have been better off with Yamaha instead. He would get a lot more factory attention (don't have to divide it amongst Rossi, Biaggi, Kato etc etc). Much better to be measured against Checa (who is one of my favorite riders) than Rossi and Biaggi.

Geezuz -- GP season still has several races to go, and already I am impatient for next season!

Old 10-01-2002, 07:19 AM   #37
red-silver
Registered Member

I echo your observations of Colin, and would also add Bayliss. I think this last race really showed the strength of both racers. It reminded me of the Roberts/Sheene battles of years past!
red-silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 07:22 AM   #38
red-silver
Registered Member

Latest rumors put Edwards on an RCV next year! WOW! Wouldn't that be fun - Rossi, Biaggi, Bayliss, Edwards, Hayden! Wheee!!!!
Old 10-01-2002, 07:25 AM   #39
red-silver
Registered Member

Oh yeah!! and Kato too!!!
Old 10-01-2002, 08:49 AM   #40
rsheidler
Founding Member

Gawdam, I hope you are right -- that could make for some great racing. Where did you hear this rumor? I had been hoping that something like that would happen (with either Honda or Yamaha) but hadn't picked up anything more than wishful thinking from other fans like me. Sure hope that turns out to be true!

Oh yeah, I agree with adding Kato to that list (at least in the dry)