Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > World Superbike

Old 09-30-2002, 06:45 AM   #11
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Superbike and Supersport Imola Results

After seeing Colin's performances this season, I realize that I have really undersetimated him in the past. Being a Ducati rider and fan, I had not followed his performance that closely, and for most of the season, I was cheering for Troy -- when I did start cheering for Colin, it was mostly because Troy's apparent runaway with the championship was getting boring -- how things change!

My understaning it that the goal is for Colin to wear the #1 plate on the 999 Ducati next season, then join the MotoGP team. I hope this works for him. That actually might be the best option -- maybe even a better deal than Troy got -- I doubt (although I hope I am wrong) that the Ducati GP bike will be all that competetive with the Honda (and now Yamaha) 4-stroke GP bikes at the beginning of the season. I expect 2003 to be largely a development season for Ducati in GP. This way, Troy gets to deal with the frustration of fighting for, say, 10th place with riders of much less talent. Given Yamaha's and Suzuki's learning curve, I would hope that by the end of 2003, the Ducati would be getting sorted out and 2004 could be the ideal time for Colin to move over there.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2002, 07:07 AM   #12
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Hondas loss is Ducatis gain.

I happy that Honda and Edwards won but perturbed Honda let Edwards go to Ducati. [b] In any case Honda made a dumb decision. Who else are they going to get to run in WSB that will be near as good.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 07:09 AM   #13
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Philip Island 2001
Old 09-30-2002, 07:21 AM   #14
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Hondas loss is Ducatis gain.

Honda's approach to this situation it totally inexplicable!

From what I read, Honda's WSB efforts are directed (and financed) by Honda Europe -- apparently they had a bad year financially and wanted to cut expenses (of course, this was all being discussed at a time when the Ducati was still dominating the series -- mighta gone different if the factory had been a bit quicker in getting Colin the good bits). They reportedly told Colin that he did not have a ride with them next year because they would either bail out of the series entirely, or at least cut way back to a smaller team.

My suspicion is that Honda Europe might have been bluffing with Honda Corporate -- trying to get them to kick in the funding -- since presumably Honda worldwide would be the beneficiaries of the racing effort.

Anyway, what Honda does get from all the effort and $$ they have expended to help Colin win the championship is to see that #1 plate attached to a Ducati 999 all next season. I hope they are happy!
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 07:49 AM   #15
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Re: Hondas loss is Ducatis gain.

They want a Spanish or Italian rider, because those are their big markets. Hence Xaus from Spain rather than Edwards from the USA, etc, etc, you know the rest.

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 08:12 AM   #16
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Suzuka 2000, best MotoGP race ever
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 08:17 AM   #17
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default GP SUZUKA 2000

BEST RACE EVER!!! Period. This Edwards/Bayliss battle was wonderful, but that Suzuka race, the top 8-10 were battling for the lead. Like 20 lead changes.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 08:59 AM   #18
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

I concur.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 09:03 AM   #19
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

This all brings up the question of who will race for Honda in WSC next year? If rumors are true that Honda is reconsidering, who will ride?

Xaus - unsigned, fast, crash happy, Spanish. Highly likely.

Haga - I don't know about signing status, but he has the speed.

Ben - he sometimes has the speed, if WSC is more imporant than AMA, he might get the nod.

I can't think of anybody else worht the money.

Either way, next year's championship is between Colin and Hodgson.

BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 09:44 AM   #20
SlowBear
Founding Member

Xaus: Rumored to be going to Aprilia

Haga: Rumored to be going to Aprilia GP team

B-Boz: Coming to the US to race

Who? I haven't a clue and I don't think Honda does either. I have a lot of respect from Honda and HRC but they screwed the pooch this time.

And yes, that was some great racing. The three people at my house were yelling so loud my dog got scared and ran to my wife for comfort.

Two great riders and genuine gentlemen riding the crap out of the best street based bike on the planet, how could it get any better? MotoGP is looking pretty dull next to superbike; US, world or (from what I've read) British.

BTW, for the guy who is hung up on the 2000 Suzuka race, try to get a tape to the '89 French GP.

SlowBear is offline   Reply With Quote