Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > World Superbike

Old 09-08-2002, 02:24 PM   #1
merv
Founding Member

Default Re: Assen Superbike Results

I've said it before - surely Honda can't let Colin go ride Ducatis next year! Shame about Bayliss, but Colin is really on form and the Suzuka 8 hour win must put him up there with HRC as well.
merv is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2002, 05:30 PM   #2
SlowBear
Founding Member

MotoGP is looking pretty dull next to this stuff...

Two pieces of advice:

1. If you didn't see these races catch the repeat. They are well worth watching even if you know the outcome.

2. If you don't have Speedvision (or the equivalent in your country) get it before the race at Imola September 29. With the two best riders on the two best bikes pretty much tied it ought to be great.

These two races may have been the strangest I've ever seen. Besides great riding by all the leaders I was shocked to find out Troy Bayliss is human, he just screwed up trying too hard.

I also have to say I'm getting tired of poor Hodgson's luck, or more accurately his lack of luck. He sets his bike up well, rides the wheels off it and if doesn't break somebody runs into him.

Cheers,

SlowBear
SlowBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 06:50 PM   #3
john
Founding Member

Haga looked a lot better than he has races pass.........he didnt seem to slip as much as the race goes on.......he was slipping and sliding all the way around though, visibly moreso than any other riders......
Old 09-09-2002, 04:04 AM   #4
DurangoKid
Founding Member

Default Don't mess with Texas!

Way to go Colin. Definitely proves that it's not over until it's over.

Superbike was getting a bit boring with Bayliss winning everything early in the season. My wife was beginning to compare Worldsbk to F1.

Haga put on a good show until he ran up the backside of Hodgson. You can see the effort that both Haga and Hodgson put forth this weekend, it was a shame to see them clash.

Anyone have confirmation that Edwards has signed with Ducati and that Xaus has signed with Aprilia for 2003?

Where will Ben Bostrom land?
DurangoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 06:55 AM   #5
red-silver
Registered Member

I think it will depend on Honda's committment to superbike. Moto-GP is considered by most to be a more technically interesting series to them. Will they allocate resources as needed for both series?
red-silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 07:18 AM   #6
TheFox
Founding Member

That's because Dunlops suck. Despite that, someone needs to reign Haga in, because he has ridden like an ass this year. Elbowing Bayliss, he took out Hayden at Laguna Seca, now he screws over Hodgson. FIM needs to do something.

Can you imagine him and Xaus on the same team next year? I hope Aprilia is prepared for a lot of crashes.

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 08:26 AM   #7
KPaulCook
Banned

I agree. However, don't you think that Honda will still want a strong effort in WSB because of the marketing thing? But maybe not since they only had one team this year.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 09:21 AM   #8
12er
Founding Member

Why do I keep getting a feeling that they will take each other out at least once next year. "The Aprilia Team is down again"...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 09:22 AM   #9
YamahaFZR
Founding Member

Actually Hayden took Haga out, actually Hayden went down and Haga ran out of room, I wouldn't call Haga an ass, just a outgunned competitor that is outnumbered by WAY too many Ducs.

It should be called Europe Superbike, World is WAY TOO LOOSE> No American Manufacturers...No Triumph....
YamahaFZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 11:27 AM   #10
rsheidler
Founding Member

Clearly Dunlop have not kept up this year, but there are a bunch of other Dunlop riders out there (Hodgson, Toseland, BBoz, eg) who do not seem to slide as much as Haga. I think his riding style is a lot harder on the rear tire than most riders out there. Damn entertaining to watch him though. For the first half of the season, he was the main reason to watch, as a Bayliss, Edwards 1-2 finish was preordained.

I could not tell if Haga was at fault in this crash -- clearly he was being held up and was desperately trying to find a way past. I think it is more likely just one of those things. In general, Haga has been riding much better the past several races.

Still gotta wonder (assuming it is true) just what Aprilia are thinking with him and Xaus for next year. At least they should get a lot more camera time than their overall performance would otherwise command.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote