Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > World Superbike

Old 09-05-2002, 05:54 AM   #11
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Edwards & the title

Yes. Honda has so much GP1 rider talent now that the really good riders coming up have to pick the best of the rest. Both Yamaha and Suzuki are getting better. And both Nicky Hayden and Eric Bostrom show signs of genius.

I hope they don't desert SuperBike. They could win easily by supporting more teams and fielding two factory rides. Colin has shown incredible class by staying so close with no other rider to protect his rear.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2002, 06:03 AM   #12
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Killer instinct?

You have to catch 'em to kill 'em KPaul. All season CE stayed as close as he could without crashing. Otherwise he'd have no hope now that his bike has a bit more thrust.

That kind of effort with no hope of winning is my definition of lion hearted.
Old 09-05-2002, 06:14 AM   #13
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Preview of Assen Superbike

Bayliss has an incredible will to win, yet is able to temper it with maturity.

You can substitute Edwards or Rossi for Bayliss in that sentence with no loss of truth. The best antithesis is probably Ruben Xaus, who comes screaming through the pack to finish on the podium a few times a year and in the kitty litter the rest of the time.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:05 AM   #14
red-silver
Registered Member

Default Re: Ducati getting Edwards next year?

Resweber like Saarinen is relatively unknown now. He was considered the greatest american flat track that ever lived. In the days that the mile bikes had ridgid frames and spool hubs on both ends, Resweber could scrub off speed by pushing the front end at over 100 mph, and go underneath all the riders who were backing it in using the traditional slide in foot down, drive out foot up technique. He would plow the front, square the turn, and get the earliest drive. The only rider I've ever seen do that and get away with it is Kenny Roberts Sr. I' m sure some of the AMA sites have photos and history of him, I'll look around!
red-silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 09:15 AM   #15
red-silver
Registered Member

Here's the AMA site on Resweber:

http://www.ama-cycle.org/museum/hall...bers/resweber/

Not much info., I'm there's more out there if you look!

Enjoy!
Old 09-05-2002, 09:37 AM   #16
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: Killer instinct?

Good point thats what I get for listening to Speed analysts.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 02:21 PM   #17
merv
Founding Member

Default Re: Edwards & the title

That's a good point about Colin. It must be harder without a team mate and he has shown class by being able to do what he has on his own.
merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 08:54 PM   #18
painter_1
Founding Member

You forgot to mention Rossi he has a better win perc. than any other rider out there
painter_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 06:55 AM   #19
red-silver
Registered Member

Default Re: Qualifying

As of this morning Edwards is the fast qualifier at Assen! (Also Kato is .007 off of Barros time in Motog-GP!)
Old 09-06-2002, 09:04 AM   #20
badinfluence
Founding Member

I disagree. I think Edwards is a quite great. He doesn't get the recognition, but his record speaks for itself. He may not have the raw talent of Fogarty or Doohan, but he works better with what he has than Nicky Hayden or just about anyone else, sans Rossi.

You saw that this year with Nicky. He is a great raw talent, but has no clue how to apply it on a consistant basis (ala Rossi). Even this season he has not been consistant in his finishes. He will have many years to develop it though.

Imagine the talent of Nicky Hayden with the ability to use every ounce of inherited talent that Colin Edwards has. I would go to Vegas with them odds of winning.

I'm just glad to see an American back on the the top of the podium. I'd like to see the Championship come back to America. Problem is I never know who to root for. I'm a Honda man, but I have always like Ben Bostrom, both as a racer and a person. So I root for both.
badinfluence is offline   Reply With Quote