Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > World Superbike

Old 07-15-2002, 08:58 AM   #1
das
Founding Member

Default Re: WSB results from Laguna

Where are the interviews with or stories about the wildcard riders? Some of them did do quite well, but they're completely not mentioned in the article. And what the heck is an "installation" lap? Is that like a sighting lap, or a warm-up lap? Who wrote this article anyway?

Hey, anybody else notice that E. Bos finished in front of B. Bos in both races?

das is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-15-2002, 09:24 AM   #2
Poser
Founding Member

Default E before B

Not only was E before B, E was on a cast iron and wood Kawasaki instead of an unobtanium Ducati. Pretty amazing.

Was Mladin on the track?
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 09:59 AM   #3
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: E before B

Good point just think if Eric was on a bike like the WSB RC51 or the WSB Ducati. I saw both races and I remember seeing Mladin but he was well back. I am wondering if he is running the same times as he did before and everyone is faster or he has detoriated etc. As a inline fan it is too bad that Mladin was not allowed to race in the WSB race last year or the year before. I heard an interview with Mladin complaining about that "Now that we are doing bad now they allow me to race"

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 11:12 AM   #4
surfimp
Founding Member

Well, I was there, and the "installation" lap was called the "warm-up" lap by the announcers at the race. Bummer for Xaus, but at least he got it out of his system...LOL!

It was quite a bummer to see Haga go down AGAIN in the second race, and when I saw that it was Nicky Hayden who'd taken him out, I was doubly bummed. Hayden rode pretty well in Race 1, but it became readily apparent that he was a bit outclassed by the likes of Edwards, Bayliss et al. I suspect much of it came from unfamiliarity with the other riders, but all the same he'd really need to be at the top of his game to beat them. After his crash in Race 2 with Haga, he wasn't heard from again and worked his way back to a top 15 finish.

Duhumel didn't race because he wasn't feeling up to it, Mladin wasn't a presence, and Eric Bostrom got a great start in race 2. Does that help fill in some of the wildcard rider info?
surfimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 11:30 AM   #5
shawvs
Registered Member

I don't know who wrote the article but, the same article appears on the Ducati website.
shawvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 12:28 PM   #6
metal
Founding Member

I was working in turn 10 Saturday and Sunday. Mladin seemed to be up to speed Saturday morning. Unfortunately he had a big crash in 10. He might have injured his wrist, but was able to ride after that. Eric's riding was definitely a pleasure to watch. As far as the other wildcard riders go:

* Yates had a strong showing in both races;

* Duhamel had a crash on Friday and then didn't qualify for/wanted to do the world race (his times weren't so good in Saturday practice/qualifying);

* Hacking had a big crash in 10 on Saturday and he apparently got injured as he wasn't heard from after that (I think he might have hurt his back);

* Roberts got clipped on Saturday by Hacking's flipping and flying bike, but he seemed okay afterwards.

Regarding Ben Bostrom's performance, he seemed to be plagued by problems all weekend. Saturday his times weren't great and when he went to do Superpole, he lowsided in 10 (lots of action in that turn on Saturday) without injury. It looked like he might have lost the front on something shiny looking much like the tear-off Xaus had thrown on the track just a couple of laps before. Big bummer. But I think they just didn't have it sorted anyway as the races didn't go his way either. Especially race 1, where he got passed by Eric and then Yates. He was clearly unable to stay on the pace.
metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 06:03 PM   #7
TheFox
Founding Member

Did anyone else notice the horrible technical work of Speedvision? It was atrocious. That announcer guy they use for everything just sucks. He goes on and on about some little detail, not even realizing that Bayliss is in the middle of passing a guy to take the lead.

The cameramen too...I swear in race one they were drunk. They couldn't keep anything in a frame at all, and kept zooming in and out way too fast, as well as panning in jerky motions. Blair Witch on Motorcycles.

Then, when Hayden takes out Haga, right as it happens they CONTINUE to go to commerical. I was like, WTF?!?! You can't stop the cut to commercial even though two of the superstars on the track just wiped in a dramatic fashion?

Don't even get me started on the corkscrew coverage, when they're using the camera on E. Bostrom's bike as he gets passed in the corkscrew. Not only do I not get to see a risky pass, the announcers don't even comment on who passed him. I couldn't tell who it was because they were using the on bike camera...and they didn't cut back to E. Boz again until 2 laps later. Ridicilous.

Speed Channel you guys suck.

--The Fox

And while I'm at it, go back to the announcer you were using earlier in the year for World Rally. This guy you use for everything SUCKS. He doesn't even sound sincere on any subject.

And pull that Progressive ad where the guy gets his nuts voodooed by his ex when he's about to get laid. That REALLY makes me want to get bike insurance through you. Hell, I change the channel when that comes on now. Friggin' morons.

Rant over.

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 07:26 PM   #8
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: WSB results from Laguna (Be thankful no NASCAR interuption)

To be fair to the boys at Speed, were at the mercy of the WSB feed i.e. the guys that usually do the WSB were calling the shots in the truck (technical director). The AMA crew of race announcers were doing the US broadcast and the WSB regulars were doing the rest of the World. I actually prefer the the AMA guys when they get to call the shots in the truck. I think not knowing what was coming next was tough on the AMA boys. I like Sky's color comentary a whole lot better than the usual guys on WSB. Who, with their English accents, I don't think have ever ridden a bike in a race. I agree the AMA play by play guy is a little lame but to be fair I think he was having a bad day cause of working off the International feed. I am just glad the race wasn't interupted by NASCAR chat this time.
Old 07-15-2002, 07:41 PM   #9
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Correction

The AMA broadcast color comentator is Dave Sadowski I think. I really enjoy his work. Especially the pre race thing where they show you around the race track. The WSB guys suck at that. Sadowski has the racing creditentials that make it more insightful.
Old 07-16-2002, 04:38 AM   #10
das
Founding Member

Yup. Posts like this and the one below from metal are the reason why MO is worth reading.
das is offline   Reply With Quote