Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > World Superbike

Old 05-27-2002, 08:40 PM   #1
KPaulCook
Banned

Default His (Bayliss) finest hour: Race 1

Watching the Race 1 I think I saw one of the greatest performance by anyone in a while. Bayliss falls down not once but twice and still manages to finish 5 th. Bayliss passed riders like they were standing still each time he got up. The riders he passed were among the best in world. With such a commanding lead in points he could of quit like some of the riders. I found my self rooting for someone who I had rooted against just moments before. He is truely, a great champion.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-28-2002, 03:43 AM   #2
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: His (Bayliss) finest hour: Race 1

And he's a damn nice guy, too. Not an a**hole like some.

Old 05-28-2002, 04:10 AM   #3
VFRider
Founding Member

A great champion and a lucky b@st@rd to boot. Crashes TWICE with no damage to the bike either time.
VFRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 05:27 AM   #4
SugarDad
Founding Member

Yeah, he's got quite a good run going at this point, but I think he is slowly turning into an a**hole. Between the remarks after race 1 at Monza, and the little F*** Off gesture at the end of race 2 in Silverstone (which he was fined), he's almost getting to be a little to ****y for his own good. I hope he does go to MotoGP next year, so the likes of Rossi & the rest of the Honda's can stomp him....
SugarDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 07:08 AM   #5
jmeyn
Founding Member

No luck involved. He put the bike down gently and precisely each time. A clinic in crash management.

Well.. he's lucky they were slow corners!
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 07:31 AM   #6
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Bayliss the athelete

Bayliss crashed, dragged his bike up and onto the track, screamed past 8 riders, crashed again, extracted his bike again, flew past all but four of the field and finished fourth. In energy and pain, race one was like three races.

How did he have enough left to keep himself together and win race 2?

Edwards blamed visibility for not trying harder to pass Bayliss. If he crashed trying he lost 20 points. If Bayliss crashed he gained 30 points. If both crashed it was a wash. If he passed him he gained 10 points. The probability of one or both crashing was about 50/50 and the probability of passing and making it stick was maybe 1 in 3. Crashing could end his season.

I think it was good judgement because the season is too young to go all out at such long odds, but Bayliss had the same visibility, just more drive.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote