Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > World Superbike

Old 05-22-2002, 10:07 AM   #1
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Looks like a boring season for WSB

[*]The unfair advantage given to the Twins has made the season boring.[*]The only suspense is can a non-Ducati machine win a race because an in-line 4 has no chance to win.[*]Look at the top 7 riders in points (all on twins)[*]Manufacturing standings are 75% of the points earned so far are to Twins (the top 3 spots).
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-22-2002, 10:19 AM   #2
runner00
Founding Member

Default Re: Looks like a boring season for WSB

what exactly is the advantage ?
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 10:43 AM   #3
motoCG
Founding Member

The advantage is an extra 250 cc. Two cylinder engines are allowed a maximum displacement of 1000 cc while 4 cylinder engines are limited to 750cc. I believe 3 cylinder engines like the Benelli are allowed 900 cc.
motoCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 10:50 AM   #4
raddog
Founding Member

That is interesting, but are the engine outputs equivalent? That is, does a 750cc four have similar power output to that of a 1000cc twin?
raddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 11:05 AM   #5
motoCG
Founding Member

Apparently not! That is why the current superbike rules are seen as an advantage for the twins. However, there needs to be some extra displacement given to twins because a 4 cylinder engine of the same displacement have historically made more power.

Maybe bump the 4 cyl limit up to 800cc. Hate to see them fade away.
motoCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 11:54 AM   #6
neoyetif2
Founding Member

It looks like most of the advantage is not the actual amount of power, but how the power is delivered. Twins have more usable power, power that can be turned on in a corner, more power at a lower rpm. Four cyclinder bikes can be a little peaky, power hits like a hammer, all of sudden like. Where twins have a smoother power delivery that is deceivingly fast. Ride a modern twin (I have ridden a SuperHawk, Ducati 851 and a Aprilia Falco -- and would love to get the Falco or the SuperHawk) and you will think that you are not going near as fast as a four until you look at your speedo or look in the mirrors for your buddies.

I guess it is all about the torque.

neoyetif2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 02:11 PM   #7
4in6
Founding Member

Default Re: Silverstone preview from Honda

Why are people still whining about this? Does annyone remeber the tl1000? Suzuki is still making it but it got it's butt kicked. The whole point of racing is to develop better bikes. If you don't take advantage of every break you get and you get beat by someone that does who's fault is it? And I have to say that I think WSB racing has been pretty exciting this year just because the inline fours haven't won a race doesen't matter.
4in6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 03:20 PM   #8
KPaulCook
Banned

Hello the inline 4 is at a disadvantage because it is limited to 750 cc not because twins(limited to 1000cc) are technically superior. Geez
Old 05-22-2002, 03:23 PM   #9
KPaulCook
Banned

The high torque twins have in the low rpm range goes away when you up the cc on the inline 4 to 1000cc see GSXR-1000 reviews on this site for the curves. The point is they should change the rules to 1000cc period.
Old 05-22-2002, 03:24 PM   #10
KPaulCook
Banned

Oh yeh the TL1000 was Twin remember not an inline 4. My point is that the rules should just be 1000cc limit for any engine configuration.