Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > World Superbike

Old 04-21-2002, 12:53 PM   #1
Haga-san
Founding Member

Default Re: Edwards beats the wild-cards

Tamada rocks the house!!

1st post '''''
Haga-san is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-21-2002, 04:20 PM   #2
RobF4i
Founding Member

I wonder why it is that Bayliss never seems to do well in Japan? (to the best of my recollection anyways)
RobF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 05:39 PM   #3
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Uhhh, guys...

I hate to be a jerk, but I seem to recall you guys resolving not to print the winner of the race in the tag line for those of us who tape the races. That lasted all of 5 minutes...any chance of you guys doing it again?

--The Fox

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 04:02 AM   #4
banda
Founding Member

Default Re: Uhhh, guys...

The headline didn't say that Edwards won... only that he beat some wild card riders. In fact, he only won one of the races, so not much was given away.

MO has stuck to their promise.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 06:28 AM   #5
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

The Fox is being too nice, so I will be the jerk:

#$%#! MO! I haven't been able to watch the tape of the race yet, so I logged into MO, thinking "They don't give away race results on the front page." Well, yes they do. Thanks guys, now the "thrilling 25 lap encounter" won't be so thrilling anymore.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 08:05 AM   #6
das
Founding Member

Default Re: Uhhh, guys...

Ironically, in the race he didn't win, he was beaten by a wild card rider... so it still doesn't make sense.

What I don't get is why anyone would want any headline other than something like:

2002 WSB Sugo, Japan Results

With the current titles, how can you search to find anything, when you need it 6 months later?
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 09:52 AM   #7
jhayton
Founding Member

If you guys don't want the news, don't look at the site until after you have seen the tapes. We had this conversation over and over on the WERA site with J Ulrich. Ultimately, these guys are in the business of news. Part of that includes eye-grabbing headlines. Again, if you don't want to know, don't log in!
jhayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 10:11 AM   #8
Haga-san
Founding Member

Bayliss does not like sushi!
Haga-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 03:56 AM   #9
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

there was a long debate about this a year or so ago and MO agreed that it wasn't too much to ask that the headline read something like "Thriller at Sugo Results."

Look at it from MO's perspective. Do they really want to have a chunk of their readership avoid their site some days just because they'd rather write "Edwards beats the wild cards?"
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 04:19 AM   #10
das
Founding Member

I disagree. When you go to news.motorcycle.com, it's not like you're looking at a bunch of disparate topics, each trying to lure your eyes away from the others. This isn't a newsstand, and it's not designed to catch the eye of someone rapidly flipping channels. (The last thing we need is for MO to start putting flash in the news page.)

If you're here, you came here on purpose. You're here for motorcycle news. The news items are in a plain vertical list, newest items at the top. You start at the top and work your way down, reading the headlines, one after another, until you find one you're interested in reading about in more depth.

The purpose of the title should be to make it easy for people to identify which articles they want to read, and which they want to skip. As I said in my previous post, titles like "Edwards beats the wild cards" just make it annoying to identify the article contents, especially next year, when you're trying to find the 2002 Sugo WSB results.

So, I really do not see any valid argument for putting the race winner's name in the title, and I don't see any reason for the intros that do nothing but harp on the fact that they didn't put the winner's name in the title. Glenn Le Santo often wrote entertaining intros that didn't give away the results. What was wrong with that?
das is offline   Reply With Quote