Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > World Superbike

Old 03-25-2002, 03:40 AM   #11
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default Re: Round Two Results from Philip Island

If Ducati takes Bayliss to GP1 on a competitive bike, Rossi could have a crab in his pants.

Dunlop seems to be behind this season.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2002, 04:51 AM   #12
das
Founding Member

Bayliss is good. Very good. On the edge of great. But there's no way he's a threat to Rossi (unless Ducati can get extremely Duc-friendly rules in GP1, and build an un-beatable bike... and that's not going to happen).

Many WSBK fans said Haga was gonna eat the GP guys alive, and... well, he's stepped back down to WSBK this year.

I like WSBK, and even the local riders who fail to qualify for WSBK races can outride me, but let's be realistic... the GP guys are the best riders on the GP equipment. If Bayliss moved to GP, he'd not be competitive for a while (at least a season), and he ain't getting any younger. Let him stay in WSBK and reap his successes... it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 06:01 AM   #13
beer
Founding Member

Until he is actually up against the GP guys it's all just speculation. I would love to see him give it a go, not on an unbeatable bike, just a competitive one.
beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 07:09 AM   #14
Joe_Momma
Founding Member

Default It's a conspiracy.

1. Haga went to GPs on a mediocre bike, on Michelin tires (he favors dunlops) and on tracks he had never seen. He did fairly well at tracks like Philips island. I think he did ok in his first full year.

2. Bayliss has always been fast, on any bike, on any track, even one's he has never been to. He went to daytona and was fastest the entire weekend until he crashed in the race. Look at tapes of his Australian and British Superbike races, he is a great.

3. To get a ride in GPs you have to be a son of a great or Japanese, Italian, or Spanish. Or a Woman. Anyway, look at riders like Cardoso, Abe, Barros, Checa (before switching to 4 stroke), Aoki, and you wonder how they manage to stay in the series. Even Mat Mladin said it's all politics to get a ride in GP1. You got plenty of other American, British, and Australian riders that wish to make the jump. Ever wonder why so many Italians, Japanese and Spaniards are in GP?

Look how they gave that ride to Riba when Criville went down with the head trauma and Riba has no proven track record in GPs or superbikes. Abe and Riba just plain suck.
Joe_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 02:59 PM   #15
badsac
Founding Member

Default Suzuki 250 GP

Remember Baylisses wildcard ride on the Suzuki 20 GP bike at Phillip Island a few years back? He was riding around the outside of all those stars like Biaggi, Jaques, Harada etc. Remember they were complaining that he was dangerous, but that was only because he showed them how those bikes could be ridden, rather than just riding around playing follow the leader. He would have won that race if that Suzuki wasn't down probably 20 horses. It was so damn slow. He would get to the front over the course of the lap, only to be shoved down to fifth on the straight.

No, I know Bayliss would do well in GP's. I don't know if he could beat Rossi consistently (he is brilliant), but I'm sure he would be up the front every race. Especially on a 4 stroke. He's not far short of their lap records at most tracks already, while riding a big heavy slow roadbike.

And I agree with momma, that many of the rides in GPs are bought now. It's getting like formula one.
badsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 10:47 PM   #16
cadbury
Registered Member

I was there in person; it was a great weekend!

Personally I thought Edwards had Bayliss' measure in race 1. He was sitting right on his tail for most of the last part of the race, and his bike looked absolutely on rails, with the tyres obviously doing a great job. Then he made a small error and lost contact just a few laps before the end. Bar that error (hit a neutral going into Siberia) I'm sure he would have passed Bayliss just before the line.

Race 2 and Edward's rear tyre started to vibrate and slide about three laps before the end, and Bayliss just pulled away. I'd say this should have been Edward's weekend, but you just can't fault Bayliss' performance.

As for Xaus - what a showman, his big drifting, spinning and smoking drives onto the main straight were a sight to behold. And he seems to be a really nice guy!

Haga was definitely the crowd favourite (after the hometown hero Bayliss) and did some superb monos and burnouts after Superpole.

Looks like a fantastic season ahead! And then there's the GP's!!
cadbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 03:35 AM   #17
das
Founding Member

Default Re: It's a conspiracy.

No doubt that GP1 is mostly political... (isn't every FIM-run racing series?).

As for why most of the riders in the GP classes are Italians, Japanese, and Spaniards... that's easy: Those are the countries where the series is most popular. Yes, it's political, but it also makes some sense financially that they're giving rides to people from countries where the sport is popular. If you're not a home-crowd draw at at least one race, you'd better have some other fan-drawing/marketing power, like being the son of a former champion, or a woman, or something.

It's the same way in WSBK... the British are nutso about WSBK, so there are lots of British riders in that series.
Old 03-26-2002, 03:50 AM   #18
das
Founding Member

Default Re: Suzuki 250 GP

I apologize for not being up on my Bayliss history... no I don't recall his 250GP ride, but history has shown that for many riders, performance in a single home-track race does not guarantee series-long performance.

I do recall him from AMA racing... he was good, but not head-and-shoulders above the rest, as you seem to imply. He just seems to be getting better and better all the time, though.

Don't get me wrong... I like Bayliss. He seems like a genuinely nice guy, and he rides that superbike fabulously. But I'd find it hard to believe that *anyone* could start racing GP this year and challenge Rossi.
Old 03-28-2002, 03:55 AM   #19
badsac
Founding Member

Default Re: Suzuki 250 GP

I don't think he's head and shoulders above everyone else, and I don't think he'll beat Rossi. But he'll be up there. I'm just saying he has a history of being able to ride all sorts of different bikes fast, so you shouldn't write him off.
badsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 11:25 PM   #20
conehead
Founding Member

Careful, I think the spelling-police will get you. Three strikes and you're out.

No doubt about the women though, easy, sleazy and greasy, just like your nancy-boy footballers covered with padding, protection, and make-up.
conehead is offline   Reply With Quote