Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Women Riders

Old 08-22-2008, 12:45 PM   #1
sis
Registered Member

Default probably a dumb-dumb question

Hi, uh, i'm new to your forum. i don't even have a bike yet (wanted one for 42 years). But someone real special to me is real much into biking. He showed me a chicken strip on his back tire; it was about 1/4 inch wide. Does that likely mean he's a good rider or a risky rider? i read enough to learn that the chicken strip indicate how far over he leans the bike on a curve and also has to do with speed. Sorry i'm so dumb about all this... Sis
sis is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

The "chicken strip" does show how far over he leans the bike. But, there are so many variables, that 1/4" doesn't say much by itself. I'd say if you're asking the question, you already don't have confidence in his riding. Get your own bike!
Old 08-22-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
sis
Registered Member

Thanks for answering my question. Actually, i have a great deal of faith in his riding skill because i know he's real good at whatever he does Sis
sis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
12er
Founding Member

Different type bikes have different radius tires and thus along with cornering clearence of pegs, pipes etc the chicken strip isnt always a good guage. Unless its 2 inches wide on the back of an R1, then you know to stay the hell off the back of that bike.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #5
pushrod
Founding Member

Thin chicken strips are good on track bikes. It means you are using all the tire on the corners.

They are not so good on street bikes. If he's been that far over on the tire, it indicates he isn't being careful to keep some 'turn' left in case he needs it.

See- on the track, unless someone crashes in front of you, there are few, if any surprises. Like cars, people, junk, animals, crappy pavement. So if you're leaned WAY over on the street and get a surprise, you may be what is referred to as "Screwed".

Even if your guy is in fact 'real good at whatever he does,' that doesn't mean he is infallible.

Therefore, as Ken said above, get your own bike. And don't try to keep up with him.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

It depends on circumstances. For example the mountain roads where I live generally have 2000 foot drop offs quite near the edges of the roads. So in that case you could call them "intelligence strips".
Old 08-22-2008, 05:52 PM   #7
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

I sense bad things. Run, yes run to MSF and your own ride. Take your own risks, don't get caught up in his.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sis View Post
Thanks for answering my question. Actually, i have a great deal of faith in his riding skill because i know he's real good at whatever he does Sis
Do you like to watch Gladiator movies?
Old 08-27-2008, 06:24 AM   #9
Riza
Registered Member

Sis,
If you trust in him ride with him - on the road, in your life and everywhere else.

If you decide to get your own bike keep in mind your "someone special" will be your riding partner and for long time he will have to lead you, be patient, handle your slow riding, forgive your mistakes. It requires a lot of understanding, love and care for advanced rider to make a riding partner from you.

What a test!
Old 08-27-2008, 12:26 PM   #10
MOKE1K
Registered Member

Cool

Having small chicken strips can mean two things either hes a skilled rider and can lean the bike over far, or hes not that good and believes that by having little or no chicken strips people around him will think hes good. Listen I'v roadraced at the club level for many years and too be honest most street (cornering guys) lean it too far.

They, like I stated think that if they have none (chckn strps) that,that will make everyone think they are a good rider. This imo is no way to tell if the rider can really ride good. I can make my chicken strips dissapear riding in a circles at 10-15mph?

Personally when Iam on a track or in a race I try to not lean the bike too far as that promotes more tire wear. The more tire wear the slower you are able to push. Saving your tires are what most fast racers will try and do, so they last the duration of the race.

Just because someone can run it too the edge doesnt mean their fast,or capable, riding on the street and not having an accident in 5yrs, NOW THAT TAKES SKILL!

How long has he been riding how many bikes has he owned?
And has he ever had experience at a trackday or racing?