Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Women Riders

Old 06-08-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
spurs06
Registered Member

Default HELP...I need a small bike.

Greetings everyone. I'm a new user on this forum and I'm in need of help locating a bike that my daughter-in-law can ride safely. She's 4 foot, 11 inches tall with a 26 inch inseam (in riding boots). She currently rides a 2008 Ninja 250 with lowering links and cut-down spacers in the shocks. The bike is the right height but she's out-riding it. I'd like to see her on something that will keep up with the boys (my son rides a 636) on the track. She's good and I hate to see her hampered by a lack of equipment. Are there any other options? Custom frames, maybe?
Thank you all for your consideration.
spurs06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Wow. Tough one. AFAIK, the small Ninja is about the only sport-like bike that could fit a person under 5'. I have a few friends who are that size and their legs dangle about three inches when they are on my 599, which has a pretty standard seat height for a modern sportbike.

I know of people who use lowering links and the like but I'd hate to recommend that route for a competitive mount.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs06 View Post
Greetings everyone. I'm a new user on this forum and I'm in need of help locating a bike that my daughter-in-law can ride safely. She's 4 foot, 11 inches tall with a 26 inch inseam (in riding boots). She currently rides a 2008 Ninja 250 with lowering links and cut-down spacers in the shocks. The bike is the right height but she's out-riding it. I'd like to see her on something that will keep up with the boys (my son rides a 636) on the track. She's good and I hate to see her hampered by a lack of equipment. Are there any other options? Custom frames, maybe?
Thank you all for your consideration.
Ninja 500R has a 1.3" taller seat height at 30.5"...it might work if it is lowered.

The Monster 695 has a seat height of 30.3" which is only one inch higher than the 250r and you would think it could be lowered to come close to the 250r, except the monster is probably wider in the seat making the reach longer.

It seems the 500R might be your best bet as it is probably nearly as narrow as the 250R in the seat.

Have you thought about teaching her to ride a dirt bike as many dirt bike seat height's are taller than most rider's inseam and the whole come to a stop and lean over with one leg skill might help her widen her riding choices.
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:34 PM   #4
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Start with a late-model EX500; lowering-links with a 1/4"-longer hole-spacing (will lower the bike just-over 1" in the back), a set of 1-1/4" Gen-Mar bar risers, raise the forks in the triples (you'll have to experiment with this distance - matter of personal preference), and remove an inch or so from the seatfoam - replace a bit of that back with that "memory foam" and re-staple the cover back on.

Voila'!

Bike that will have NO trouble "keeping up" with anyone! (due to the bike, that is)

Now, if Kawasaki would just update the EX500 like they did with the 250...........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:02 AM   #5
Buzglyd
Founding Member

She's not much smaller than you average MOTO GP rider.

She just needs a couple of guys in the pit to hold up the bike when she comes to a stop.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:12 AM   #6
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Default I Don't Think

It comes with the hat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Small Bikes.jpg (3.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-26-2008, 07:24 PM   #7
Desmo_Profundis
Registered Member

My wife (5'3 1/2") is on a Ducati Monster 620. It's lowered about an inch and a half from it's already 30" ride hight. It has bar risers to bring the bars a little closer to her and I plan to get her Pro-Taper MX bars that will even be easer to reach. She also rides a Kawasaki KX100 motocross bike and I think the Duc is even a bit lower than that. One thing is to find a bike that will fit her another is to find a bike she can fall in love with. The Italian style and of the Monster was love at first sight for both her and I. Although I was riding an '02 Yamaha R1 when she got her Ducati I now ride a Ducati Monster S4 and I'm not looking back. I am faster in the twisties with my Duc than I was on the R1 even though the R1 out powered the S4 by at least 20bhp. If she gets a 620 or 695 she should look at getting high pipes as the stock ones drag when the bike is lowered. Speedymoto makes all kinds of stuff for the duc such as frame sliders, ext.

Last edited by Desmo_Profundis : 06-26-2008 at 07:38 PM. Reason: opps, I wasn't done writing
Desmo_Profundis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:23 AM   #8
vermicious
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_Moore View Post
It comes with the hat.
Probably not DOT approved anyway.
vermicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
Wow. Tough one. AFAIK, the small Ninja is about the only sport-like bike that could fit a person under 5'. I have a few friends who are that size and their legs dangle about three inches when they are on my 599, which has a pretty standard seat height for a modern sportbike.

I know of people who use lowering links and the like but I'd hate to recommend that route for a competitive mount.
Maybe a Duck 620?
Old 06-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #10
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

It's worth a look, but I thought the seat height on the Monsters was still at least 29 inches.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote