Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Women Riders

Old 05-31-2008, 05:29 PM   #11
ebryant
Registered Member

Default Monsterous Fun

Hi!

I'm a new rider myself and just bought an '06 Monster 620 and I LOVE it. Of course I'm also 5'10" so it fits me nicely and the weight feels good. A new bike would have been too intimidating. The 620 has enough power to grow into but it's a really tame bike, relatively speaking. The new 696 is stunningly beautiful--I just sat on one at Pro Italia today--but I'm thrilled with the choice I made.

Also: there is something very sensual and sexy about Italian bikes, just like everything else Italian.

Good luck and have fun!

Ericka
ebryant is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-31-2008, 07:18 PM   #12
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

As an aside, welcome, Ericka!

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:03 AM   #13
Kenneth_Moore
Registered Member

Let me start by saying I'm not a woman, but I have known several of them, and sometimes see them on the television. So right there, I'm a bit of an expert. I also sold motorcycles to women during my brief but legendary career stint as a Harley Davidson Salesperson. I say: Get the Monster! I know at least three women who got Sportsters for their first rides, and they're still out there riding them. (Hi Christine, Lisa, and Linda!) The Monster is far lighter, has better brakes, suspension, and ergos than a Sportster, and it's going to hold it's value after the inevitable initial depreciation hit. So, to make the point specifically: if they can do it on a Sportster, you can do it on a Monster.

Do get comprehensive insurance and put the deductable amount ($500 is typical) aside, so if you do happen to drop the Monster, you're covered. Also, keep in mind that while Ducati has reduced their maintenance costs, sexy Italians are the very definition of "High Maintenance."

Last edited by Kenneth_Moore : 06-01-2008 at 09:09 AM. Reason: I don't know, really, I can't remember. I just edited it, OK??
Kenneth_Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #14
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

I actually TALKED to a woman once...how cool is that?

Anyway I think a dirt bike is an excellent idea, that's how I started when I was 10. Also, I think with your bicycling, skiing and windsurfing your sense of balance and situational awarness should allow you to handle the 620 without too much trouble, those are all skills you need for street riding. Be sure to buy good gear and wear it and you should do jes' fine

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:36 PM   #15
renaultf1
Registered Member

Thanks guys! I will say the way you both started your posts cracked me up. I went and checked out dirt bikes last weekend and now am in the search of finding a decent used one locally. I'm definitely getting the monster...after I get the dirt bike, take my MSF (reservation set for end of August) and ride for a while. I'm also getting good gear...I picked out an Arai helmet and want (and will get) an A* jacket, gloves and pants. As much as I had wanted the monster for the fall...it might have to wait until spring. While I'm not too worked about the dropping the bike and damaging it (that is what insurance is for, and I would bet that would happen even if I had a ton of experience at some point), it really is about the my size vs. the size and power of the bike. I think the small dirt bike will be just the ticket when I get it and it will get me used to the dynamics of riding a bike on my own (and not in a classroom setting).

And for the ladies because they will understand this...I'm now on the fence of the colour for the monster (I've always wanted the flat black, but now I kind of really like the new pearl white colour) and so I couldn't possibly get the Ducati until I'm sure on the colour.

Great, great advice here from both the men and women and I appreciate all of it!
renaultf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:55 PM   #16
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Re: color

LOL!!! Oh definitely -- I had to get the YELLOW 599 once I saw it!

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
Old 06-07-2008, 08:11 AM   #17
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Color choice is simple, since your toe and fingernails should match the bike, choose whichever one is closest to what you wear day to day., then choose your riding gear to match that......

It's not Rocket Surgery for heavens sake!!!

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:57 PM   #18
ebryant
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson View Post
As an aside, welcome, Ericka!
Thanks so much! Glad to be here and look forward to learning a thing or two from you experienced riders.
ebryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:33 AM   #19
renaultf1
Registered Member

Default Update

I wanted to give an update to this thread...

So 3 weeks ago I got a call from the MSF instructor and she told me that they had a new course location approved by the state that was about 15 minutes from my house and would I be interested in taking the class that weekend instead of the end of August as I was scheduled. I jumped at it. The class was a blast and went really well and I passed the class and now have my motorcycle license!

This past weekend, I bought my first bike...a 2000 Yamaha TTR 225 that had barely been used and was a great deal price wise! I had thought I would get somewhat of a beater for the price I was looking to pay, but I seriously lucked out! The sad part is that I'm sure I'll be causing a lot more damage to it than the original owner did.

Anyway, I laugh now that I even thought the Monster was an option for my first bike. My first day in the MSF class showed me that was a ridiculous idea if for no other reason than bike weight. For me, the dirt bike is a much better option because I still have so much to learn and am learning something new everytime I ride it. It definitely isn't the lightest dirt bike I could find but it isn't too big for me or too heavy and I'm not intimidated by it at all. Fit wise it is nearly identical to the Ducati...and it is only about 125 lbs lighter than the Ducati, so the transition when I make it next year won't be that bad.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my new bike. Baja make a Dual Purpose kit for it and I'm having that put on this fall...for now I'm just dirt riding. At the price I got the bike for and even adding the DP kit after the fact, it is still cheaper than any Dual Purpose bike I could find and trust me, I looked...they are a hot commodity right now in my area.

I've been riding every day...and I actually dropped the bike for the first time 2 days ago (dumb mistake, but I learned). My brother and father have been watching me and have been amazed at how much I've improved in just a week's time. I can't believe how much fun a dirt bike is to ride...I love it. I'm taking it to the local Yamaha dealer to have it fully serviced this weekend, and have to leave it for the week...I'm bummed, but it has to be done.

So to all of you that gave advice about the Ducati being a better second bike...you were SOOOOO right! Thanks again for all your help! Kim

p.s. Oh and the MSF class box exercise has really come in handy because I've been practicing all sorts of really tight turns at the end of our long driveway.
renaultf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:44 AM   #20
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Excellent! Another rider on her way!!