Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Women Riders

Old 05-09-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Default What I get up to

As some of you know, I like to try Iron Butt rides, and long distance (LD) stuff in general. I've set up my Honda 599 -- which is an excellent little bike, but not commonly used as an LD bike because it's naked. But I like naked bikes so this is the right choice for me.

I learned a lot in 2007 about what works and doesn’t work on long distance rides. I also found out the hard way that there were some weaknesses in the wiring for the electric jacket and lights. So this year I redid the wiring and the gear to improve on last year’s arrangement.

I use two Garmins on my bike - a Zumo, which I use for the maps, and a 2610, which I use for data about the ride, such as overall average speed. I reinstalled the Garmins as they were -- they did a good job last year. I’ve also reinstalled the rheostat for the Warm N Safe jacket liner at the same place. My big problem was how to mount all the stuff for the new Philips HID auxiliary lights. Last year I had a HID low beam (I used the stock Halogen high beam) and two Hella FF50 H4 auxiliary lights. The HID headlight was so bright that the Hellas, good as they are, were almost washed out. I like a lot of light, so this year I decided to go with HID bulbs in both the high and low headlight beam, plus two Philips HID auxiliary lights from Farklemaster. I also bought a couple of yellow bulb Motolight fog lights for those times when I have to ride through dense fog. The Motolights bolt to the brake calipers, and the Philips lights themselves bolted easily to a crossbar I made. But having a naked bike, I had no obvious place to mount the igniters for the HIDs! I finally came up with an, um, interesting mount that bolted to the sides of the headlight arms.

I alsoo improved my lighting from the rear. I have a Givi V46 top case and E41 side cases, and a company called AdMore Lighting makes LED lighting that fits into the reflectors for each. I've installed the wires for the V46 and I'm still fussing with the wiring for the E41 cases. I also have not yet wired in the Datel voltmeter, but I know what to do so it's only a matter of time until I get it hooked up.

I also installed the Stebel Nautilus horn I’ve had sitting around for the last year. They are so loud even I can hear them! (I'm almost completely deaf without my implant.)

Here's a few pics for your enjoyment. In the first pic, you can see the general layout of the lights and the igniters. The Motolights are at the bottom, bolted to the brake calipers. The Philips HIDs are above them on the square bar (which I made).

Here you can see the Nautilus horn and my crappy looking wiring. There really was no decent way to run those wires!

Another view of the front of the bike.

Here you can see, from left to right, the rheostat for the Warm N Safe vest, the Zumo, the box with the Datel voltmeter and light switches, and the 2610.

And now for a bit of storage! If you look closely you can see the ScottOiler behind the license plate too.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"

Last edited by sachiwilson : 05-09-2008 at 06:29 PM.
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Did goin' to the HID's help a lot with freein'-up some spare electrons to run all your other stuff?

I've been thinking about installing HID's on my FZ6 quite a bit lately - but there are so fargin' many dealers of Chinese Junk (no pun intended) out there..............

It's really getting to be quite a pain to find something "quality" in an HID light - most of these re-sellers are in it for the Riceboy "Hey lookit me an my Funky Purple HID's - YO!" who buy it only 'cuz it "looks bichin' " - not because they actually want to SEE where they're going and reduce the alternator load.

Feh.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Yes, one of the reasons I went to HIDs was to save some amps. I can run the headlight and both HIDs, and have enough juice left over for my electric vest. I'd like electric grips too, but I don't think I have enough electricity. That's about the only problem with the 599 for me - the alternator isn't powerful enough to run everything I'd want!

PM me if you want some options for HIDs.

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
Old 05-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #4
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

That is one gnarly looking c0ckpit, Sachi. Well done.

One of these days I'd love to put in the kind of miles to need all that gear, but professional school doesn't really lend itself to that. I can't believe you do it all on a naked bike. I love my Buell, but when it comes time for that kind of riding I think I'll start with something where some of the mods have already been done for me to suit the miles. Like a Ulyseus (or Tiger, Adventure, etc...). Anyway, I was just in the San Diego area a month or so ago, and I'm very jealous of the terrain you get to cover.

Last edited by sachiwilson : 05-09-2008 at 04:39 PM.
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #5
tripleripple
Founding Member

Location: Lightly Fortified Compound (apartment): Chicago, IL

Oh jesus...c0ckpit. Armpit. Ass hole. Dillweed.
tripleripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Ha! Yeah, I hate the stupid censor software too.

I do this sort of stuff on a naked bike because I LIKE naked bikes. Plus I think fairings are overrated. A good naked bike will set you in a position to handle the wind, and IMHO no fairing in existence can protect you from the rain (or whatever) better than proper rain gear can do. So . . . I ride a naked bike, and to hel1 will anyone who says I can't do it.

Last edited by sachiwilson : 05-09-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:40 PM   #7
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

I'd recommend getting some wire loom to pretty up that wiring. Also some shrink tubing for those crimp connectors. If you ride in the weather that I think you do you'll want better protection on those connectors.

After looking at some of the GPS hook ups on the bike specific forum I frequent I've decided to do without. However I am a big fan of more light at night and I have an alternator chanllenged bike as well. Don't hold out post up your HID secrets.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:46 PM   #8
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Heck all you need is some robot to ride it for you and you're done!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #9
sfcdjevans
Registered Member

Pedrosa already has a job
Old 05-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #10
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Yes, in a while (I need to rest up) I'll probably look for a wiring loom from Eastern Beaver. I agree that I should find and use shrink tubing -- I have used it a lot elsewhere on the bike.