Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Women Riders

Old 05-07-2008, 08:05 AM   #1
LadyFutureRider
Registered Member

Default Future Rider

Hey all!

My name is Jen and I'm from Michigan. I am set to turn 25 this summer and as part of my quarter-life crisis kick-off, I am thinking of learning to ride, and eventually owning my own bike. I was just wondering if you have any bits of advice or even tips on what kind of bike is best for a beginning female rider. I'm on the short side, 5'4", so I don't know if that will make much difference, but I'm really eager to learn.

My dad just got a 2007 Harley Heritage Softtail and we went out on it last night. I love going out riding, one of my best friends has a 2003 Yamaha R1 Limited Edition, and cruising on the H1 in Hawaii was a blast. I haven't decided what type of bike I want yet, that's a big reason why I joined.

I need advice!!!
LadyFutureRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator

Hi Jen! Welcome to the site. Have you taken the Motorcycle Safety Foundation beginning rider's course? If not, that's the first thing you should do. It might give you some ideas on what you will want to ride, as well as how to ride.

You should not have that much trouble finding a bike that fits you, although some will be out of your range. Keep in mind that "fit" on a motorcycle is more than seat height. You also need to be able to reach the bars, which means being able to turn them fully when you're on the road. The reach to the foot controls also can be an issue. Finally, the weight of the bike can be a concern, particularly because you are a beginner. Heavy bikes are more tiring to ride, particularly at slow speeds.

I personally do not like cruiser-style bikes. Many women get them because of the short seat heights that most cruisers have, but (as I said above) seat height isn't the only thing a rider needs to think about. Do not automatically assume that a low seat height is what you need to shoot for, or that you are stuck with a cruiser.

Welcome to the site, and keep us posted!

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
acecycleins
Founding Member

Jen,

Sachi's right. She a true mother/lawyer type and wise enough to heed instruction from. To the point- what type of rider do you want to be? Weekend warrior, commuter, track-day girl- give us a clue. May I suggest staying away from Sportbikes as your introduction. They tend to be demoralizing and tension filled for new riders. Those that do buy usually end up breaking plastic before they get it dirty when there's no real motorcycle experience. You have choices if you'd like sporty looks so don't worry about not "looking cool". Just decide what your objective is then ask more questions.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:07 AM   #4
LadyFutureRider
Registered Member

No I haven't taken the course yet, but my dad and I were talking about it the other day and I fully plan on doing exactly that! I don't think I would ever try to drive a bike without having taken a class, that just seems a little too risky to me.

As far as cruiser vs sportbike, I haven't really been able to make that decision. Like I said I've been on both and I enjoy them both, but I'm not sure which would be best suited to me yet. Hopefully that's something I can pick up in the class

Thanks for the help, and any further advice is always welcome
Old 05-07-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Riding a motorcycle with no training is no more dangerous than making bombs with no knowldge of explosives.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
acecycleins
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longride View Post
Riding a motorcycle with no training is no more dangerous than making bombs with no knowldge of explosives.
MORE dangerous? Equally deadly, asuredly. Playing with things that goes BOOM! somehow seems a little more costly in the event of a mistake compared to lowsiding an off camber left at speed.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #7
pushrod
Founding Member

The good thing about working with explosives is that you're the only one who doesn't know you messed up.

Jen, +1 on the school. No substitute for how valuable it is to know how to ride safe and have fun.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:24 AM   #8
LadyFutureRider
Registered Member

Oh yeah, I had/have every intention of taking the course, what I was especially curious about was what type of bike would be recommended. Since I got some good info already on what to look for and what NOT to look for, I guess I'm just going to have to try things and figure it out for myself.

I plan on taking the course this summer/fall.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:29 AM   #9
acecycleins
Founding Member

It's all personal taste. What bike do you want? Start there and we'll give you ideas.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:43 AM   #10
seruzawa
The Toad

Whatever you do don't listen to AirHawk. The BossHoss is NOT a good beginner's bike.

Have you checked out the Ninja250?