Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Riding > Women Riders

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2008, 08:43 AM   #11
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator
 
sachiwilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,609
Default

Seconds on the little Ninja. It is an extremely competent bike, and even seasoned riders can do great things with it. Check 'em out!
__________________
Frappé LaRue
*Safety Queen*
Are you a Rounder?

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-19-2008, 09:01 AM   #12
acecycleins
Founding Member
 
acecycleins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 4,129
Default

What if she's not a sportbike chick? The Vulcan 500 or Shadow VLX are great bikes. What if she's a nekked freak! The old GS500s are fine. There are variables we are not yet privy too. We need more info.
__________________
"Slack" - a state of being in which everything flows smoothly.....a frame of mind so at ease that the universe naturally cooperates.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:06 AM   #13
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecycleins View Post
What if she's not a sportbike chick? The Vulcan 500 or Shadow VLX are great bikes. What if she's a nekked freak! The old GS500s are fine. There are variables we are not yet privy too. We need more info.
Okay on the nakeds but I refuse to encourage her to move to the darkside...
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:03 AM   #14
LadyFutureRider
Registered Member
 
LadyFutureRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 18
Default

The more I think about it, the more I think I want a sportbike to start with. I'm not sure if I'd want a heavier or lighter bike, I guess what's easiest to control? I'm really excited to learn, yet the thought of putting my bike down is really nerve-wracking. That's why I came here... I figured people with a lot of experience would have some ideas of at least things I could check out when the time comes for me to get my first bike. I'm not looking for long term, either, all I need is something to start with that's not, like, a Road Toad, lol. So I guess I'm leaning toward sportbike to start, unless that is not recommended.
LadyFutureRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:27 AM   #15
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator
 
sachiwilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,609
Default

Light is definitely better.
__________________
Frappé LaRue
*Safety Queen*
Are you a Rounder?

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:21 AM   #16
LadyFutureRider
Registered Member
 
LadyFutureRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 18
Default

The most readily available training course is at an HD place near me. The training takes place on a 492 cc Buell Blast, which sounds like it has a little beef behind it, lol. I've been looking at and pricing Ninja 250Rs and I am really starting to like that bike... if that is a highly recommended bike I will probably start looking into those a little more.
LadyFutureRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:37 AM   #17
sachiwilson
Women Riders Moderator
 
sachiwilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,609
Default

Yes, it is one that we (and many others) highly recommend. It is a good bike for even experienced riders, and I know of people who have done Iron Butt rides on them. They are flat-out good bikes for a great price.
__________________
Frappé LaRue
*Safety Queen*
Are you a Rounder?

Sarnali: "what could be more useless than arguing with a deaf female lawyer????"
sachiwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:09 AM   #18
acecycleins
Founding Member
 
acecycleins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 4,129
Default

The new baby ninja is a great bike to start with. Spend your money and feel happy that you made a wise decision.
__________________
"Slack" - a state of being in which everything flows smoothly.....a frame of mind so at ease that the universe naturally cooperates.
acecycleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:34 AM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFutureRider View Post
The more I think about it, the more I think I want a sportbike to start with. I'm not sure if I'd want a heavier or lighter bike, I guess what's easiest to control? I'm really excited to learn, yet the thought of putting my bike down is really nerve-wracking. That's why I came here... I figured people with a lot of experience would have some ideas of at least things I could check out when the time comes for me to get my first bike. I'm not looking for long term, either, all I need is something to start with that's not, like, a Road Toad, lol. So I guess I'm leaning toward sportbike to start, unless that is not recommended.
A friend of mine is 5'7", very thin, and she had no trouble learning on a GS500. She went to a Ninja650 after a year. She doesn't like the stiff suspension on the Ninja650 and is considering a Versys650.

Start out light on a bike that's not intimidating. A Dual Purpose bike like the Kwacker 250 is good to start out on and you may decide you like the extra versatility.

My wife has been riding since 1979 and is very happy around town on a Yamaha Vino125.

There are plenty of options if you don't limit your interest in types of riding.

buy used for your first bike. It'll save your pocketbook.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:12 AM   #20
Buzglyd
Founding Member
 
Buzglyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
A friend of mine is 5'7", very thin, and she had no trouble learning on a GS500. She went to a Ninja650 after a year. She doesn't like the stiff suspension on the Ninja650 and is considering a Versys650.

Start out light on a bike that's not intimidating. A Dual Purpose bike like the Kwacker 250 is good to start out on and you may decide you like the extra versatility.

My wife has been riding since 1979 and is very happy around town on a Yamaha Vino125.

There are plenty of options if you don't limit your interest in types of riding.

buy used for your first bike. It'll save your pocketbook.
Do they all ride Vinos or is just one wife into bikes?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off